In November 2017 i bought a
bmw r1150gs
year : 2001
78000 km
i have done..
valve adjustment & rocker arm end float
new cam chain tensioner
oil : liqui moly 10w60
Shaft drive & transmission : liqui moly HYPOID GEAR OIL (GL4/5) TDL SAE 75W-90 MOS2

slave cylinder service. I changed the seal of the piston because it was wrong in diameter.
I did not see something wrong about the clutch push rod. grease the bearing.
I replace the wooden seal because was full of fluid from the wrong seal of the piston.

Left cam chain tensioner upgraded. Clutch spline checked (less than 1mm freeplay)
and many others that are not interested in us at this time
I have some noises from transmission? from clutch? from somewhere else? i don't know
I have a video to hear the voice . The bike is in neutral and i press and release the clutch while record the video. The bike is hot (5 bars).

https://youtu.be/RLmNoP_ytNk

The toc toc toc noise sounds when the clutch is pulled by me and only when the bike is hot.
The "klang" noise sounds while i release clutch. This noise is MUCH MUCH MUCH louder with a gear on gearbox (not neutral).
These noises sounds and before the service.
Can anyone help me? Any ideas?
thanks a lot

Hello

Sorry for my poor english, I'm from Catalonia Spain

Mine is a 1150 GS 2003 with 70.000km and it's sounds when i bought It with 20.000km, always when the bike is hot too..

I don't worry about It but I'm interested on the reason, I show a video too.

Many thanks

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5b382ba5a1a11/InShot_20180701_031048796.mp4
Hello
I think we have exactly the same problem

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi 4X μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

It sounds normal to me. Mine does that too. When you pull in the clutch, the gearbox is disengaged from the engine. I assume that without any load to smooth it out, the engine rattles a bit more.

I could be totally wrong, though! :augie

hello
Today i start my bike! It was quiet!
But let me present the things from the beginning...
Sorry in advance for my English.
I hope to help some guys.
when disassembling the bike, i make marks on clutch parts.
Clutch housing(flywheel) Clutch pressure plate, Clutch cover plate.
clutch1.jpg clutch2.jpg
After a couple of days I cleaned the parts to find the factory marks.
then I discovered this...
clutch3.jpg
Bad assembly of the clutch parts!
The previous owner has changed a friction disc and a diaphragm spring to an authorized shop as it appears in the service book. The parts were bmw oem parts.
I put some red tape to show u the marks of heavy weight points.
All the heavy weight points are too close.
So When i was pull the clutch lever, the crankshaft with the clutch parts (exept friction disk) rotates free (without support of gearbox input shaft) and unbalanced and hit up ,down, right, left at crankshaft bearing. There is freeplay there.
And when we have five bars(or more) temperature the oil is more light and the motor sounds Toc Toc Toc Toc Toc.
NOTE: i have no vibrations!!!
When the clutch is not pulled, the problem affects and the gearbox input shaft. No noise but worn at bearings. This explain that there was worn at input shaft bearings in my gearbox. No too much but there was. The input shaft bearings are smaller than the others gearbox bearings. The bearings of the other shafts have no problem.
I take the friction disk to a machine shop. They made extension 6mm to cover all spline length of input shaft.
I assemble the clutch parts with the right way. I take care of every heavy weight point going away from each other.
Something like that..
clutch4.jpg
I assemble the gearbox to the engine. I assemble and the necessary parts(fuel tank, airbox, starter etc) to start the bike.
I start the engine and wait to see five bars temperature.
And Voilà!!! NO noises! NO toc toc toc toc! NO klang while i pull the clutch!!!
Only a little bit of toc toc when i put my ear very very close. Probably some worn of the time the bike run with an unbalanced clutch. But i have measured the freeplay of crankshaft (its not easy) and was at the limits proposed by the bmw.
I leave the bike on with a fan for sometime and everything looks and hears fine!
But i looks much fine than bike!
Next days i will assemble the bike. I will notify you for the process.

Photos here : https://advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-r...#post-37004055
Thanks

Iilias - STOP WORRYING !

There's nothing wrong with your nice clean bike. In excellent condition for 16 years old.

BMW is not called a "Bavarian Tractor" by Honda for nothing. They all make those clunky noises.

There is play or slop in many parts of the drivetrain, beginning at the crankshaft right through to the rear wheel helical drive. It's part of the design.
Don't worry - until you hear a grinding crunching noise when changing gear - only then should you start worrying.
The clunk that you hear at the moment is the clutch operating rod moving to-and-fro along the tube through the gearbox input shaft, pushing the clutch diaphragm spring in order to disengage the motor from the gearbox ready for a gear shift.

When you pulled the transmission, you will have seen that long hardened-steel rod. Some way along it there is a slot for a felt tubular sleeve, which has the job of reducing the noise of the rod's to-and-fro movement whilst it spins at motor-speed. That felt sleeve is NOT an oil seal, it's a noise reducer. Some people insert a new one but it's not really necessary to do so.

So stop worrying about the noises and just enjoy riding !

Iilias - STOP WORRYING !

There's nothing wrong with your nice clean bike. In excellent condition for 16 years old.

BMW is not called a "Bavarian Tractor" by Honda for nothing. They all make those clunky noises.

There is play or slop in many parts of the drivetrain, beginning at the crankshaft right through to the rear wheel helical drive. It's part of the design.
Don't worry - until you hear a grinding crunching noise when changing gear - only then should you start worrying.
The clunk that you hear at the moment is the clutch operating rod moving to-and-fro along the tube through the gearbox input shaft, pushing the clutch diaphragm spring in order to disengage the motor from the gearbox ready for a gear shift.

When you pulled the transmission, you will have seen that long hardened-steel rod. Some way along it there is a slot for a felt tubular sleeve, which has the job of reducing the noise of the rod's to-and-fro movement whilst it spins at motor-speed. That felt sleeve is NOT an oil seal, it's a noise reducer. Some people insert a new one but it's not really necessary to do so.

So stop worrying about the noises and just enjoy riding !

dear sycospain thanks for your interest!
I have replaced the felt tubular sleeve 6000 km before as you can see at post #11 at ADVrider . Nothing changed with the noises then. the noises gone away when i change the two worned bearings on input shaft and reassemble the clutch parts correct. I am not worrying for nothing. But i want to prevent the worsts. I had metals on magnet bolt at gearbox. Can you imagine that the worn on those two bearings goes to damage? Yes there is freeplay at crankshaft guide-bearings but there are on bmw catalog other Guide-bearings for worned crankshft. So there can be worned in there. I think its not bad thing to take care an old bike. An old bike that have a wrong reassembly clutch parts from an authorized bmw shop.
thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom