Europe Trip Looming - What Prep For My 2002 GS?

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bike has 75,000km on it.

Trip will be ~4,500km from south of Spain to north of France - 2/3 paved roads, 1/3 TET/ACT-type trails.

Engine oil.
Transmission oil.
Final drive oil.
New brake pads.
New brake fluid.

Front Karoo 3 is fine, rear will deffo be replaced before departure. Plenty of tyre shops in Spain/Portugal/France.

I'm getting the OEM bars put back on but keeping the Rox risers. Hopefully won't need longer brake & clutch hoses. I also have new adjustable folding short levers to fit.

I'm fitting new front disc bolts, bobbins & wave washers. Discs are plenty thick.

Also fitting a Fuzeblock and a few 12V sockets.

Unlikely to be able to afford new shocks, so I'll just get the current OEM ones checked and adjusted for the load I'm taking on the trip.

There's a light weep from the boot between the shaft housing and the final drive - shaft seal? Obviously get that sorted.

Get the clutch slave cylinder checked while the weep is being addressed?

Bike is running fine, but should I also get the throttles balanced?

New HES? Buy & carry a spare? Isn't 70,000 the magic number? Doesn't fate love to shit on lads at the worst possible time? Unnecessary concern?

Any particular spares to take other than the usual bulbs & fuses?

What am I missing?

Check your alternator belt and/ or replace/ carry a spare. Also I believe your bike has a hydraulic clutch. If so bleed and replace the fluid.

Having said all this, don't worry. These are mostly reliable bikes and the odd mishap is just part of the fun:D

Check your alternator belt and/ or replace/ carry a spare. Also I believe your bike has a hydraulic clutch. If so bleed and replace the fluid.

Having said all this, don't worry. These are mostly reliable bikes and the odd mishap is just part of the fun:D

Do make sure that the "spare" alternator belt fits as there are two sizes available don'ask how I know!!.

Prep ? you're riding 3000 miles not 30,000, and in mainland europe.

Take a change of socks, a pair of clean underpants and a puncture repair kit.

Steptoe is as always right. And there should be a puncture repair kit in the standard 1150 tool kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS my 1150 GS is a 2003 with similar mileage and it got me to Cameroon with little more Prep than Steptoe suggests. Although I did pack a second spare set of underpants!

Steptoe is as always right. And there should be a puncture repair kit in the standard 1150 tool kit

Steptoe isn't always right. No-one is always right. Maybe he's mostly right... Or usually right...

But I'd probably be happier and more relaxed with more than just socks and underpants rolling around inside my Zega Pros... Gotta load them up with tools & spares & a fire extinguisher & a defibrillator & 40 litres of water & stuff... :thumb

Enjoy the trip and the prep.
Check Steptoe advice about the cable ties around the wiring , especially as you are changing the handlebars before the trip.
And you have checked his advice about checking /changing the clutch hose ? especially as you are changing to risers /
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/59976-Hydraulic-clutch-check-this?highlight=clutch+banjo
in my case he was right about that as well .:thumby:

all this about carrying spares, I carried a spare hes around I got of this site for a couple of years.Didnt know what to do with it anyhow ha.
I asked Mikey boy to change it when I was having some work done.Turned out it was the wrong one for my bike :roll

Prep ? you're riding 3000 miles not 30,000, and in mainland europe.

Take a change of socks, a pair of clean underpants and a puncture repair kit.
Absolutely on the money.

However, in your preparation, be sure that the tyres - especially the front are almost new.
on my last trip, when I came back, the front tyre was still well over legal. However, I had a front puncture whilst away, and found that it was too thin to take a plug. They just blew out again. After 5 attempts, and riding over 2 kilometres on a completely flat front tyre to a safe stopping point, the wheel was removed and tyre taken for patching/plugging on inside.
Lost 4 hours over it.
Myke

Engine Oil

If you're doing any sort of distances - Stick a litre of engine oil in your paniers and check every morning when the engine is cold. Just lie down with your hangover and have a check whilst its still in the main stand.

...It prevents disappearing in a cloud of smoke with the engine rattling on that last kilo-meter before home since youve destroyed the big end shells and having to replace the engine over winter...

...or so Im told ........:augie:blast

Hang about, aren't you supposed to check the oil level HOT ??
(Preferably after being on side stand for cup of tea brewing time, then Centre stand for as long as it takes to leisurely drink it ??)

And I never asked "What sort of oil"............:D

Also check your air filter if servicing. Replace if needed or dust off with an airline.

Balance your throttle bodies, get it as smooth as you can, your gonna be sat on it all day for about a week. A dog rough bike will be unpleasant.

Buy top-up oil in Spain if needed, Repsol filling stations selling 20W50 are everywhere and its cheaper than here.

Arrange breakdown cover if you need it, and travel insurance. Carry your documents.

And don't forget your passport ! :D

I got all stressy before my first big trip. Luckily I was travelling with a pal who had ridden the Karakorum, the Pamirs, and unnamed parts of the ‘stans.

His advice? People live, go to work, raise their families everywhere we’re going to go. Break down. Enjoy peoples hospitality and kindness. Change your mindset.

Feckin hippy cadged spares off me for the whole trip, but he had a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I recommend you have a look at least at the 'Stop n Go Tyre Plugger kit' - far better than the loops in the tool bag. The mushroom type goes INSIDE the tyre completely. Brilliant, reliable and takes about 3 minutes to do, no need to take the wheel out. Those chaps in Swansea do them...M&P.

One of the guys in work has that kit - very nice. Overlanders do them too - might invest when we drop the bikes to them before departure.

Goop etc. no good?

One of the guys in work has that kit - very nice. Overlanders do them too - might invest when we drop the bikes to them before departure.

Goop etc. no good?

With the Stop n Go plugs I have had nearly new Tourances (under 500 miles old) get a nail / screw. Fixed at the side of the road - air supplied via a 'Slime' pump (other pumps are available) plugged into the accessory socket on the starter motor. Back on the road in a few minutes. Saved several strangers stranded with punctures too, and my bro-in-law car with a nail in the middle of the tread. Those new Tourancess with a plug in I just rode normally and got full tyre life out them - I remember one I did have to replace the plug after about 10,000 miles, but as those mushroom plugs are only about 10p each I wasn't too worried. You get about 20 in the kit on purchase (unless they have done like Toblerone, Cadbury and virtually every coffee brand and charge you the same for 30% less product!) :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom