Spanish Speeding Ticket when arrived home

Why not tell them it was someone else riding...

Give them a bogus name, say they were a lodger and they are now travelling around south America for 12 months.

Realistically what can they do...

To be honest though for a £150 euro fine, i would have paid it as well.

It appears you are not alone!

'A study has just released the "hottest" road points in Spain in terms of traffic reports ; it is a list of the radars that have fined the most over the last year and among them is one of Cantabria , located on the A-8, at kilometer 144.4 .'

To be fair, there is a huge sign there advertising its presence.

Will be going by there next Wednesday, thanks for the 'heads up'

I got flashed in France on the 4th June but not had anything through yet. I did read an article though saying they’re unlikely to come through from static cameras in France.

Hi I have been reading the other post about speed camera alerts with interest
Then bugger me, Just got back from my recent jaunt around Spain and there was a letter waiting me from the Spanish authorities
I got caught in Asturias doing 117 KPh in an 80 KPh area

The bill says €300 but if I pay within 20 days of receipt of the letter it will be €150

Although I would like to chance it and not pay - I go to Spain every year on the bike and I assume if I got a roadside check or anything similar I would be in trouble?

Any thoughts?

I’d be amazed if it’s the authorities that have had the willpower and resource to pursue that. I’d bet it’s a private company that’s take on the lost fine and blag it to get a payment. They’ve not no authority

I’d be amazed if it’s the authorities that have had the willpower and resource to pursue that. I’d bet it’s a private company that’s take on the lost

Well be amazed mine was the authorities Ministrio Del Interior DGT 90km in a 80km zone in May this year near Jerez €100 but €50 if payment within 20 days. Just pay the fine there's no points.

I wouldn’t bother. Was the letter signed for? Can they prove that YOU were riding the bike, and not your bikermate? Will you be going on the same bike next time?

Fuck em :rob:D

I agree with pay it and move on, I consider it an occupational hazard / tourist tax / Holiday expense.

But if you will be on a different bike next year "Fuck 'em" does sound like a great option

I wouldn’t bother. Was the letter signed for? Can they prove that YOU were riding the bike, and not your bikermate? Will you be going on the same bike next time?

Fuck em :rob

I think the EU law is maybe different to ours, in that the registered keeper takes the fine and not the driver
I think I'd just pay it maybe or not
However the net is closing in for motorists who commit misdemeanours abroad with data sharing
I have had a few over the years - on the spot for speeding etc
However I have escaped 3-4 roadside speeding patrols and other riders copped it instead either in front or behind me as the coppers were off guard when we went through
I do have a parking ticket from Piran in Slovenia in 2004, but the bike is long gone now

I think the EU law is maybe different to ours, in that the registered keeper takes the fine and not the driver
I think I'd just pay it maybe or not
However the net is closing in for motorists who commit misdemeanours abroad with data sharing
I have had a few over the years - on the spot for speeding etc
However I have escaped 3-4 roadside speeding patrols and other riders copped it instead either in front or behind me as the coppers were off guard when we went through
I do have a parking ticket from Piran in Slovenia in 2004, but the bike is long gone now

I find it bizarre that if we get caught speeding on the continent, they are able to send us speeding tickets, yet if someone from there comes here and does the same, they can’t get prosecuted. :nenau

I admire your naivety Nutty. That will be the same Europeans that ride on your roads without paying any road tax........

The UK should adopt little old Jerseys system where road tax is added to the price of petrol. The more you drive the more you pay. No one can avoid it (apart from red diesel cheats of course. But the cussies keep an eye out for them).

I’m off to Bilbao and will undoubtedly ride that road away from the port so thanks for the heads up. Now, shall I tell my mates or just snigger childishly as they speed off :green gri

I admire your naivety Nutty. That will be the same Europeans that ride on your roads without paying any road tax........

The UK should adopt little old Jerseys system where road tax is added to the price of petrol. The more you drive the more you pay. No one can avoid it (apart from red diesel cheats of course. But the cussies keep an eye out for them).

I’m off to Bilbao and will undoubtedly ride that road away from the port so thanks for the heads up. Now, shall I tell my mates or just snigger childishly as they speed off :green gri

Not naive. Why are our authorities unable to issue speeding tickets to visitors?

I agree with pay it and move on, I consider it an occupational hazard / tourist tax / Holiday expense.

But if you will be on a different bike next year "Fuck 'em" does sound like a great option

Your first statement is absolutely spot on :thumb

I would Imagine that the "different bike " he might be on would probably registered to the "same man" and his "same house " . I don't think you are seriously suggesting that the person he sells his bike to will be the one to worry if he doesn't pay the fine, not the perpetrator? ;)

I find it bizarre that if we get caught speeding on the continent, they are able to send us speeding tickets, yet if someone from there comes here and does the same, they can’t get prosecuted. :nenau

I agree. We can’t even get serious criminals extradited back to the uk from Spain but the dvla are happy to flog our details so they can chase us for money.

they can, all the legislation is in place they have chosen not to!!!!! go figure.

Yup, it's the registered owner who gets the ticket with speed traps.

Regarding not paying and coming back to Spain next time, the Spanish also have a way with rich foreigners who can afford to take the piss. A few years ago the Gumball rally tosspots took to whizzing past Tarragona, where I live, at over 250 kmh on tier way down to Morocco. On the way back the Mossos d'Esquadra - those are the guys who popped the terrorists last August - blocked the road, charged the drivers but instead of letting them pay their fines with their platinum credit cards they had them arraigned in court to face dangerous driving charges, a criminal rater than a summary offence here, and impounded the cars in a very lonely corner of a yard in a very dodgy area of the city.

Then enjoyed five days of fiesta before the court hose opened while the stockbrokers had to sit on their hands and miss working time in the City - Oh how we laughed! :)

Back
Top Bottom