Sidestand switch issue

Northern Monkey

Reaction score
R1200rt 2006

I have assembled the bike after replacing the clutch and all seems good...
Until I put it in gear and it cuts out .

Under the seat I found what I think was a sidestand switch thingy. But it has ‘ends’ on that don’t appear to fit anything ?!?!?

There was one wire that didn’t seem to be serving a purpose - it connected down the LH side , was not attached to anything and had two wires shorted .

When this was connected I could change gear.

T’would appear the P.O. has bypassed the switch somehow.

So my question is, is the sidestand switch I have the right one as the end doesn’t fit anywhere or should it be like the ‘botched ‘ lead?
276e74900ffd6b6dcffb3420b9530813.jpg
4abeb18d4a1e936891c3f0c2ce3bb230.jpg

The braided wrap suggests it's the wiring to starter motor, and senders for side stand and gear position.

I may be wrong but on the three wire switches I think one tells the ecu the stand is down and one it is up , the other being the live feed.Hence only two shorted out.

Your second picture is definitely a side stand switch, it looks the same as my 2008 GSA but not sure about the white connector without checking my own bike. I would imagine BMW using the same part on an RT.

No idea what the botched lead is for, maybe look on the max Bmw online fiche and compare ? ....Or look in a Haynes book of lies ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks the first pic is indeed a ‘bypass’ lead and the bike thinks the stand is away no matter what it’s actual position. I fit a used part and all is how it should be, still have no idea why the previous owner threw in a spurious lead 🤷🏻*♂️

Thanks

Original switch must be faulty, why else would you bypass it ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom