How have you mounted your mobile phone on your bike? This is really targeted at LC

RD.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How have you mounted your mobile phone on your bike? This is really targeted at LC owners but anyone is welcome to show how you have mounted a mobile phone and charged it.

I have an old Google Nexus 6P which is kept inside a protective case and I really like it, although it is somewhat power hungry so I will keep it charging while riding.
For weekends away and camping I also carry a charged battery pack.

I have seen and read reviews that the Ram X-Grip are good so I have purchased the following:-
Ram Mount RAM-HOL-UN10BU Universal X-Grip Large iPhone & Smartphone Cradle and Ram Mount RAM-B-231ZU Rail Base with B Size 1" Ball 0.5" to 1.25" in Diameter.

The Garmin Nav V (5) mount occupies most of the space on the GPS bar so I will probably need to move the Garmin Nav V(5) along the bar a little .

What is your set up and what do you recommend?

Cheers,

RD.

Quad lock.

46de5189d0794e1293ed040069c04cea.jpg
0a82ef9b716b9b224df2ad04c5f4bb05.jpg
0affba7c1660edac82e29670a319a1fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quad lock.

46de5189d0794e1293ed040069c04cea.jpg
0a82ef9b716b9b224df2ad04c5f4bb05.jpg
0affba7c1660edac82e29670a319a1fe.jpg

The Quad Lock looks simply brilliant however I have purchased an X-Grip so shall work with this instead.
Also, I notice that you don't have a GPS and possibly use your phone for navigation so your phone has loads of space on the GPS Bar.
My phone will need to share the GPS Bar with a Nav 5 so space is very limited unless mounted elsewhere.

I can’t understand why you’d need to do this if you have a navV/VI. Can I remind you that It’s an offence to use a hand-held phone whilst driving a motor vehicle. (Section 110 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986). Perhaps someone can correct me , but using your handheld , by use if your finger,whilst in a cradle may may not get you off ???

This offence carries a fine of up to £1000 and 6 points on your driving licence.

If you choose to reject the fixed penalty and ask for a court hearing you will be at risk of higher fines and court costs but the points will remain the same.

If you’re involved in an accident and especially if serious , your phone records will be checked .

Apple phones now know when you are driving and go into a do not disturb mode and quite rightly so .

I work with a time trial cyclist and several of his friends are now in a box as a result of a driver using a phone .

Sorry to be a kill joy . Perhaps you just want the phone in front of you for convenience , but I think the temptation is a danger .

I can’t understand why you’d need to do this if you have a navV/VI. Can I remind you that It’s an offence to use a hand-held phone whilst driving a motor vehicle. (Section 110 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986). Perhaps someone can correct me , but using your handheld , by use if your finger,whilst in a cradle may may not get you off ???

This offence carries a fine of up to £1000 and 6 points on your driving licence.

If you choose to reject the fixed penalty and ask for a court hearing you will be at risk of higher fines and court costs but the points will remain the same.

If you’re involved in an accident and especially if serious , your phone records will be checked .

Apple phones now know when you are driving and go into a do not disturb mode and quite rightly so .

I work with a time trial cyclist and several of his friends are now in a box as a result of a driver using a phone .

Sorry to be a kill joy . Perhaps you just want the phone in front of you for convenience , but I think the temptation is a danger .

Assumptions are made and most assumptions are wrong.

Albert Einstein

I never said I use my mobile phone when riding.
In fact, although I occasionally use my Nav V for navigation, I very rarely look at the screen, I usually look at the screen when stationery at traffic lights or a junction and then it is only a quick glance. I listen to direction from my Nav V via a Bluetooth headset so any phone calls are ignored and are a distraction and disruption.
I set the route before throwing my leg over my bike and do not touch it until I reach my destination or somewhere equidistant while stopping for a coffee break.

I want to keep my mobile phone fully charged and don't want a cable running from the accessory socket on my LC to a phone in my pocket hence the X-Grip.

Here is mine, a rather expensive Touratwat Mount, for which I then further had to spend further £40 on various Ram bits. Charging via (then) interphone adaptoc in to which I plugged in standard cig lighter usb charger.
Now use Optimate charger which is far supoerior to my previous set up.

If I were you, I would go down the route of Quadlock. Bought one for my wife’s R9T and it is great. The variety of interchangeable mounts that is available from them is amassing, from motorcycle, pushbike, car and even wall mounts. You simply buy a compatible phone case for your specific phone and a a mount. Mirror stem mount should work for same location as my Touratwat is mounted at.

39f176e9b7d7bbd54d8b6cca9f85f3cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is mine, a rather expensive Touratwat Mount, for which I then further had to spend further £40 on various Ram bits. Charging via (then) interphone adaptoc in to which I plugged in standard cig lighter usb charger.
Now use Optimate charger which is far supoerior to my previous set up.

If I were you, I would go down the route of Quadlock. Bought one for my wife’s R9T and it is great. The variety of interchangeable mounts that is available from them is amassing, from motorcycle, pushbike, car and even wall mounts. You simply buy a compatible phone case for your specific phone and a a mount. Mirror stem mount should work for same location as my Touratwat is mounted at.

39f176e9b7d7bbd54d8b6cca9f85f3cc.jpg

Your mobile phone mount looks excellent and secure.

I'll have a look at the Quad Lock and may buy it, but I want to use the X-Grip if possible to mount alongside my Nav V in order to shield and protect from most of the inclement weather and as close to the accessory socket as possible to minimise cable length.

I went down the expensive X-mount plus RAM bits route and was very disappointed with that solution. It was fiddly to place the phone in the mount such that the fingers of the mount did not press on the on/off or volume buttons, and although it seemed secure, the phone was only held in by friction so I felt compelled to use the rather Heath Robinson rubber retaining strap that comes with the X-mount, making it even more annoying to mount and dismount the phone. I also found that whether mounted vertically or horizontally there was a fair degree of rotational movement possible, so the phone would often move with vibration and end up tilted. As a result of that experience on a recent tour I have now changed to the QuadLock and I am very impressed with that system.

I am using my phone instead of the Nav V, so have plenty of space, but in your situation I guess the RAM mount will give you more flexibility in positioning it. However, you might be able to use a Quadlock on the satnav mounting bar if you have the phone vertical at the side of the Nav. Pics of my solution below and a link to a longer post about it here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/483319-Replaced-Nav-V-with-Phone-App

A6K-3047129-7058-XL.jpg

A6K-3047129-7060-XL.jpg

Your mobile phone mount looks excellent and secure.

I'll have a look at the Quad Lock and may buy it, but I want to use the X-Grip if possible to mount alongside my Nav V in order to shield and protect from most of the inclement weather and as close to the accessory socket as possible to minimise cable length.

You will have same issue as I did with your Ram (assume) U bolt. I used a ½” long piece of clear PVC tube to increase the diameter of GPS bar. As U bolt has minimum of ½” diameter fitment as GPS bar is something like 10mm divest part of 3mm to small. Good luck.

You will have same issue as I did with your Ram (assume) U bolt. I used a ½” long piece of clear PVC tube to increase the diameter of GPS bar. As U bolt has minimum of ½” diameter fitment as GPS bar is something like 10mm divest part of 3mm to small. Good luck.

You can get a mirror stalk mount RAM fitting which is the right size to clamp onto the satnav mounting bar, and that is what I used. They come with a rubber strip to improve grip on the bar.

Quadlock also do a mirror mount fitting and that is what I now use. It comes with three different thicknesses of semi-circular pre-formed rubber adapters to cater for different mirror stalk thicknesses. I found the thinnest ones were correct for the satnav bar.

You can get a mirror stalk mount RAM fitting which is the right size to clamp onto the satnav mounting bar, and that is what I used. They come with a rubber strip to improve grip on the bar.

Did not know that. This is the issue with Ram stuff, there is so much choice and it is stupidly expensive, that not every dealer stock it all. And I personally utterly hate it, when you turn up to buy what ever, but dealer only got half the stuff you need and then pipes up that we can order it in for you, it’ll take x amount of days, but we need a payment upfront, what if, it is a wrong item/size. Fuck off springs to mind.
I am relatively young being 35, but I do hate the internet style shopping in stores. The whole purpose of going to the shop is being able to see, feel, try it for size etc. Not walk in basically “blindfolded” and buy what ever being put in your hands.
People slag Amazon for taking away local businesses, but if you do buy something, there are no questions asked if you need to return it should you have made a mistake. You also get your refund the moment you return been accepted at the post office. Unlike shops, sorry sir we can’t accept it because it been opened.

Rant is over.

+ 1 for RAM stuff being stupidly expensive, and it is not actually as flexible as it looks as the arms have a limited range of movement on the balls, unless you get an even more stupidly expensive version with a rotating joint in the middle. They must have heavily enforced patents on the system otherwise you would be able to get cheaper clones, but so far there don't seem to be any available.

Moved from the GPS section, into the LC section, where likeminds live.

After I had started this post, I tried to change the title and omit the LC part.

Please would you change the title and omit the LC part and return the post to the place where it was first posted.
I am more likely to receive posts from all Tossers and not just those likeminds with LC's live. :thumb

Thanks.

+ 1 for RAM stuff being stupidly expensive, and it is not actually as flexible as it looks as the arms have a limited range of movement on the balls, unless to get an even more stupidly expensive version with a rotating joint in the middle. They must have heavily enforced patents on the system otherwise you would be able to get cheaper clones, but so far there don't seem to be any available.

There are Chinese Ram X grip colours on eBay, Amazon, alibaba and so on. They are way cheaper and come with built in USB port for charging your phone at a ¼ of a price that Ram will charge you. However there is rather limited choice of fitting accessories from same suppliers.

Personally, quadlock not exactly cheap but it is in my opinion a far superior system. As and when I do upgrade my phone next, it’ll be quadlock for it.

Can I remind you that It’s an offence to use a hand-held phone whilst driving a motor vehicle. (Section 110 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986). Perhaps someone can correct me , but using your handheld , by use if your finger,whilst in a cradle may may not get you off ???

That’s not what it says here:

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

“It’s illegal to hold a phone or sat nav while driving or riding a motorcycle. You must have hands-free access, such as:

a bluetooth headset
voice command
a dashboard holder or mat
a windscreen mount
a built-in sat nav”

Holding is different from using, probably holding is illegal even if the phone is switched off.

Holding it is the key, something I have never managed whilst riding my bike.

Tom

My phone will need to share the GPS Bar with a Nav 5 so space is very limited unless mounted elsewhere.

I started there - move the satnav holder to the left, fit quad lock mirror mount with phone in portrait orientation in the space created. But then I realised I don’t use the Nav VI any more except to read some of the bike data, so took it off.

Must ask buy why do you need to mount your phone , keep it in your bag , out of the way and ENJOY YOUR RIDING ffs

Back
Top Bottom