Bings

lewisjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I did a little mod on the carbs of my R90/6 today, I’ve read of a few occasions when a float bowl has become dislodged, I saw this mod on some forum a few years ago.
A small length of inner control cable ,a few electrical connectors, I drilled and tapped an m5 hole in the blanked off side of the bowl and used the tapped hole in the side of the carb body which has an M4 screw and fibre washer to connect both ends of the cable.

Attachments

• 33A0A06E-E4C2-49C8-8EDD-48A41DEBE118.jpg
    33A0A06E-E4C2-49C8-8EDD-48A41DEBE118.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 958B4BE9-29F6-4C73-A6E8-AA7CD67F8EBA.jpg
    958B4BE9-29F6-4C73-A6E8-AA7CD67F8EBA.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 209
Why not just wire the clip so it can't come undone?

Why not just wire the clip so it can't come undone?

Because its a PITA to have to unlockwire/relockwire the thing up every time you want to drop the bowl(s). This way at least you dont have to do that and get to keep your bowl.

I’m with Cookie on this one, if you wire the clip or use a small cable tie, the float bowl will never come adrift and thus never stop the bike from running, which could possibly happen in an inconvenient place....plus small fire risk or discomfort/stink from dumping a float bowl of fuel over your lower leg or boot.

The mod described in the original post was and could still be a better alternative to wiring the clip especially if you’re racing. First and most obvious is that you don’t lose the float bowl should you clip it with your boot . The other, and more particular to off road competition, is that if you have to remove the float bowl to clean out crud you can leave the float bowl hanging and not on the ground.

Only once in nearly 40 years of riding aircooled twins have i had a float bowl come off, and it was entirely my fault.

Riding along the Strand in central London and i could smell petrol, looked down and my L/H float bowl was leaking, not unusual, and normally cured by a swift kick of the bowl..
Only this time i kicked it off and it bounced around in the busy road. I watched as buses and cars all missed it as it lay in the road, darted out and picked it up, put it back on and rode off. Boot and foot stinking of petrol.

Still the mod pictured does look pretty and will attract all the hipsters at the burger stop all eager to know more.

Only once in nearly 40 years of riding aircooled twins have i had a float bowl come off, and it was entirely my fault.

Riding along the Strand in central London and i could smell petrol, looked down and my L/H float bowl was leaking, not unusual, and normally cured by a swift kick of the bowl..
Only this time i kicked it off and it bounced around in the busy road. I watched as buses and cars all missed it as it lay in the road, darted out and picked it up, put it back on and rode off. Boot and foot stinking of petrol.

Still the mod pictured does look pretty and will attract all the hipsters at the burger stop all eager to know more.

Maybe I’ll look for rich hipsters, make a few sets and sell them as the must have accessory ��

Like Steptoe I have never had had the float bowls spontaneously jump off and fly down the road, and I have never managed to kick them off either.
My size 12s are nowhere near the bowls, as I like to change gear, up and down, without removing my boot from the rest, and if I set things up that way I end up with my toes a long way from the bowls.
Still , no point in complacency, so I have taken a nice sharp 5/32" chainsaw file and cut a little detente on the bowl at the limit of the clip travel. so now I have to lever the clip up and over with a screwdriver rather than just pushing it over on off.
Might not suit everyone, of course, as where your toes end up depends on more than a few factors and not everyone will be the same, but if yours are well away from the bowls it is cheap, simple and works!

Back
Top Bottom