Mechanic other than Motorrad?

Alwaysawayround

Reaction score
Hi guys, hopefully in the correct category so is there any contacts for a mechanic in northern Portugal for an airhead? (08 GSA) currently making our way to the south in search of work in the sun and I've noticed little oil seeping from the final drive, also need a rear tyre. I completed the FD service before we left 2 weeks ago. I have wiped it and was showing a little more oil before the picture. We are currently in a supermarcado in Amarante, Portugal.

There is a Motorrad near Porto but we can't afford what I imagine it could cost from bmw (can I afford not to*) so need any assistance or links that may be helpful.

I can do some tasks like splines, oil services, general maintenance if it's a case of parts and a wrench.

Any help appreciated.
5a74cdb21551e076ecf65fbfa586dc67.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Is it just pissing out the excess/expansion amount, how much did you put in at FD service

Btw , an 08 would be a hexhead
Ahh sorry i actually thought airhead meant air-cooled. So an Hexhead, GS Adventure. I put 180ml, possibly 190ml.

I noticed like a splash and wiped it this morning, then after a mountain cross of slow wet torrential rain on pebbles we stopped and I can see it around the rim. Hasn't been like that before so not sure if its a seal or worse.

There is an inmate who lives in Albufeira, he goes by the name of “ Hoff “ on here. Drop him a P.M. and ask the question. You can’t beat local knowledge. Best of luck..:thumb

It’s very probably the pinion seal weeping; a common enough problem and an easy enough fix.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/r1200gs-final-drive-seal-weeping.562557/

Then follow the link to post #8

There are lots of posts / threads about it on the internet. Google something like:

Leaking pinion drive 1200 GS 2008

Or similar brief set of words
Thanks for the info! It turns out it was something like that.

We had to drop by the Motorrad shop near Porto as it was getting worse, I must recommend the guys in there for anyone else in the future very knowledgeable and looked after us.

First we got told they were booked up till next Tues so explained our traveling situation/urgency and one of the mechanics just popped outside and had a butchers, he spoke in Portuguese to the office lad, nodded "simple" got the okay and whipped it in the workshop (it's massive) removed the gasket and drilled something out, also replaced the rear tyre after I mentioned if it was possible (168€) (was about an hour in all) came to 216€ incl tax (€40) for everything so was very happy with that considering, also offered roughly 8k€ on an exchange lol will dream about the newer GS tonight as we sleep on the beach in our Tesco tent and white spirit burner.

Cheers for everyone's input!

99cf59b99fbcf0aa545746e857cee173.jpg
38851e9a8d34ee6abb6567962514891c.jpg
e280ed09e0132cab3b5cfa44155eca86.jpg

There is an inmate who lives in Albufeira, he goes by the name of “ Hoff “ on here. Drop him a P.M. and ask the question. You can’t beat local knowledge. Best of luck..:thumb
Hey rockred! Cheers for this, sure will be helpful in future. Take it easy man

Back
Top Bottom