Servo and ABS delete come MOT time

Bungy

Reaction score
How does the servo and ABS delete affect the outcome of an MOT on something like an 1150 GSA? The reason why I ask is if you have removed all of this and the abs rings are still there would it not trigger a response/failure? How have people faired after they have carried out the removal and is it open to individual interpretation? Does it even matter if the system is configured for non servo?

I've never had a problem - my bike has the ABS removed and has been through at least 3 separate MOT stations without issue. I'd imagine that providing the bike meets braking standards it'll be fine.

Good luck:thumb

I've never had a problem - my bike has the ABS removed and has been through at least 3 separate MOT stations without issue. I'd imagine that providing the bike meets braking standards it'll be fine.

Good luck:thumb

I've not done the delete yet but intend to. Do I go as far as removing the abs rings?

I've not done the delete yet but intend to. Do I go as far as removing the abs rings?

Up to you - makes no difference. Obviously not required once the ABS is removed.

If I do my new bike to me, I will remove sensors and rings too and maybe button on switchgear

Has the new MOT regs that came in this May had a effect?
I believe exhaust s have been a issue with new regs for some.

ABS is still not part of the mot test so no need to remove related components if you don't want to. If any component is loose or insecure would be a reason for failure (this would include abs related components)

Brake servo can be open to interpretation but in general if the brakes meet the mot efficiency requirements, it should pass.

Extract from testers manual on servo checks.

1.1.10 Brake master cylinder and servo

To check the operation of the brake servo:

Apply the brake control with the ignition off.

With the brake still applied, turn the ignition on.

The inspection is successful when you feel that the brake control increases brake pressure without any increase in effort.

Defect Category

Brake servo: defective or ineffective

Major fail

Link to full manual, not sure if it will work as I am using my phone.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class12/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The thing that annoys me here (NZ) is that if my bike goes in for its test and the ABS fails to activate, then that's an immediate fail: The rules say that if it's fitted, it has to work.

But surely when the ABS isn't initalised, the bike has the same braking ability as any that doesn't have ABS in the first place?

I'm tempted to remove the bulbs from the display so that it looks like the ABS is permanently activated and rely on the ignorance of the tester about the 'clunk' when setting off.

The Bike MOT is aware of the ABS function of brakes,

However it is not tested as part of the brake test - only braking efficiency

The bike will fail however if a brake failure warning is displayed and fails to extinguish

MOT testers are aware that some bike need to be moving for the ABS sytem to initialise, and if they wish they can do a test using a taplow or

similar meter. However the paracticality of this test is difficult at the best of times .

The thing that annoys me here (NZ) is that if my bike goes in for its test and the ABS fails to activate, then that's an immediate fail: The rules say that if it's fitted, it has to work.

But surely when the ABS isn't initalised, the bike has the same braking ability as any that doesn't have ABS in the first place?

I'm tempted to remove the bulbs from the display so that it looks like the ABS is permanently activated and rely on the ignorance of the tester about the 'clunk' when setting off.

You answered your own question .. if fitted -- a servoectomy does just that ;)

The brakes work like any bike with non servo brakes Pull the front, it activates, Pull the rear, it activates

Back
Top Bottom