A little Welsh Trip to Brecon

(RIP) andrewgsadv

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Brecon 2018

Having done most of the North of Wales we decided that this year we would head further South.
The Brecon Beacons looked good . Julie and I will be joined by our Granddaughter Lilly . She came with me for a 4 day run up to the Lakes last year on her first long trip , just like her Mum used to do. A great companion who really enjoys this touring lark. We departed on Tuesday 29th May to return home Friday 1st June. Four days on the road and not without Drama, as Julie and her lovely F650gs were involved in a accident with a logging truck. More of this later.

Tuesday morning and up at 6am doing final prep , by the time we have got both bikes out onto the road , got the panniers on its 6.45am and its overcast. Forecast for the week has constantly shifted,so lets get on with it. We head out crosscountry and the mist is burning off over the moors less than 50m visibility ooh errr this could take awhile. As soon as we dropped into the valleys things improved and we could make a little more speed. We stopped for breakfast at about 80 miles as commuter traffic was building . The leisurley breakfast stop allowed for most of the traffic to settle and we made good progress again on the A and B roads selected , the sun shining down on us for the main part of the journey. The B and B https://www.borderers.com/
was not open till 15.00hr so we had lunch and a walk down by the side of the canal and up through the Town .First impressions very good.

Julies bike on arrival at Brecon.

We met our host at the guest house, we were let in through a large gate to the rear courtyard , all secure for our stay. Our room for 3 on the groundfloor was just right for us, great service and good breakfast . Recommended to fellow Tossers.

They recommend the Bank to eat out in Brecon 10% discount if you mention you are staying at the Borderers. Good simple food and drink

The accomodation.

Wednesday

We had planned a run for each day, Wednesday was a relaxed route to take in some of the Villages and Towns , the final leg being over the Moorland .

Part way into the run , two lorrys were emerging from a wood yard , the first one came out and Julie started to ease off the power , he had plenty of room , the second one pulled out ,Julie realised that he hadnt seen her . He came out at speed , all she could do was get over nearer the kerb, the lorry struck her offside pannier, she remembers telling herself not to look at the kerb or the lorry,easy on the brake , she eased into a bus stop got off and had a good cry of releif. The lorry driver pulled in behind her.

Where was I , about 2 miles ahead . Much radio squawking we couldnt understand and then a worker from the Woodyard came up to us , she had witnessed accident and came to find us , just as we were turning round to retrace our steps . That Fjr goes real well when needed , to make sure the bike was ok , Julie as well of course . Gave the Mrs a big hug on arrival , no injuries , thankyou Karma or whoever is in charge today.
Lilly takes over caring duties , Julie still in shock , she asks me to talk to driver who she says is most distressed . Oh Goody I can further practice with my First Aid hat on. All the what ifs were playing on his mind , white as a sheet and stress breathing , sorted that and got him one of those horrendous cold coffee with loads a sugar in things from Julies topbox. Gave him the drink and had a chat about , “ Its bits of metal and plastic can be repaired , look at Julie she is standing up , not a scratch and smiling about how lucky she was” ! Once calmed I go back to the Mrs , she says she is ok after a couple of crys she goes on to add “but me new pannier, me numberplate.” First outing for these smaller panniers and I am glad because in true UKGSER accident investigation style (no sarnies though) the empty pannier absorbed the intial impact , the numberplate flexed, the rear chain guard and mudguard pinged off , slight bend of pannier frame.
Julies been riding since the mid 90s and her experience helped her do a brilliant save , that and a big f*ck off slice of luck . Driver asked me to phone his boss . We swapped details in case bike worse than initially thought . I will price up parts and get back to them .
Left driver then traumatised by the side of the road , not because of accident , mainly my first aid ,
the wet finger in his ear to take his blood pressure was the clincher. :p

Off we went and a mile down the road Julie says over the intercom bike feels different , odd. On a better inspection , the rear mudguard affair that I assumed had come off altogether was in fact stuck up in the main mudguard out of site , one bit poking down into top of tyre. Well I never , tools out , strip it off and alls fine . I have a strap to fasten debris on . Take your rubbish with you , its the country code.

Pannier disintegrated and no sign of rear mudguard .

Accident crap well stowed till we find a bin.

We follow her for a few miles , get her to brake test and all good. We complete our day and go out for a meal raising a glass to the fallen pannier and other bits.

Thursday

Todays run a Lawrence of Arabia Route found on internet and adapted to our needs. Its raining first thing so we go for a walk around town to revisit the most excellent hardware store , we need a couple of bungy cords to secure a bit of Julies gear for tomorrows journey home. An hour later the sun is up , so we are back to base and off out on the bikes. A top day out on good roads in the sun whats not to like. We find a good cafe en route The Old Barn Tea Rooms . Old skool Grid Ref: SO 048158
and Satnavistas Ystradgynwyn , Torpantau , CF48 2UT
A few pics from todays run

Friday

Time for home we pack slowly as again it looks like rain, also forecast for all day . Once underway cross country on A and B roads we never see a drop of rain . A really good day on the road. We call into the services at Whitchurch to re – hydrate as its so hot. The early part of our run home almost no traffic . A most enjoyable trip to Wales , sets us up for our August French loop, sadly no Granddaughter for the next one. I have told her that we are going to do 4 or 5 days around North Yorkshire because she was very enthusiastic after a a Sunday 1st July run to Hawes and Malham.
Wales , North Yorkshire , Peak District , Lake District , Borders , Bonny Scotland . So much to see so many roads to ride and all the Southerners bits too . We live in a fine country.
Lilly says “ I know I can not come to France this year but are you planning a trip to the Dolomites for your 60th in 2020 ?” “Might be!” says I . “Get saving Lilly we will go halves on the bed and board”.

Well that's it , might even write up the August French Trip if I can be arsed :D

Micky the reflection picture is not level I know ha ha . Maybe its got a natural fall so watter runs down`t cut

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed your trip to my home patch and that the accident was relatively minor.

The sawmill is close to where I lived before moving for a job. That road is one of my favourites and I have committed many misdemeanours travelling along it between Hereford & Abergavenny.

Some nice pics there, and glad the Mrs was physically unharmed. I hope she doesn't dwell on it too much.

Good write up and thank the heavens Julie was not hurt in the accident.
Yes indeed we were panicking en route back to her, even thoughtold she was ok.:thumby:

Glad you enjoyed your trip to my home patch and that the accident was relatively minor.

The sawmill is close to where I lived before moving for a job. That road is one of my favourites and I have committed many misdemeanours travelling along it between Hereford & Abergavenny.

Wessie we were on a variation of a route you posted sir . No blame will be directed toward you my good man :beerjug:

Some nice pics there, and glad the Mrs was physically unharmed. I hope she doesn't dwell on it too much.

She had butterflies day after for about 10 minutes before our Thursday ride , once moving on a good flowing route plus the Tea and Cake shop helped but she is one tough cookie. :beerjug:

Lovely place to ride and food was looking good too !!!

Glad you enjoyed it and everyone's ok. I did a similar trip to Brecon and the Borderers guest house a couple of weeks ago. A warm welcome, secure parking and lovely full welsh breakfast to be had at the Borderers. The roads must be some of the best in the UK just watch out for the kamikazi sheep.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Fook me Andrew, glad Julie is OK ( ish.)

Lucky escape methinks & fair play to her for continuing on.. :bow :bow

Not easy after such a scare...

EDIT.... Cracking first picture..

Thanks all . Apart from the scary moment it was a great trip. We love Wales .

Fook me Andrew, glad Julie is OK ( ish.)

Lucky escape methinks & fair play to her for continuing on.. :bow :bow

Not easy after such a scare...

EDIT.... Cracking first picture..

Thanks Ash , Julie very quickly over the near miss . Tough cookie that she is. Bike all sorted with a few new parts , good as new. No insurance , driver paid for it all . It’s a 2001 plate Julie’s from new. Insurance could of written it off as they do . Damage all cosmetic. A morning working on it removing and refitting bits was all it took. We have done 3 long day runs on all road types and Julie has still got what it takes, gives me a run in the twistys. Good riding partner.

Thanks all . Apart from the scary moment it was a great trip. We love Wales .

Thanks Ash , Julie very quickly over the near miss . Tough cookie that she is. Bike all sorted with a few new parts , good as new. No insurance , driver paid for it all . It’s a 2001 plate Julie’s from new. Insurance could of written it off as they do . Damage all cosmetic. A morning working on it removing and refitting bits was all it took. We have done 3 long day runs on all road types and Julie has still got what it takes, gives me a run in the twistys. Good riding partner.

Glad to hear Andrew....

Tough old bird you have there :Duchess :D

:hug

Back
Top Bottom