Iceland or NordKapp & Western Fjords

• Iceland & Faroe Islands

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Nordkapp & Western Fjords

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

Storm99

Reaction score
apologies if this subject has come up before !

I am hoping to do a solo trip next year probably mid June on wards on my GSA 1200.

I am struggling to decide between Doing Iceland & Faroe Islands or Doing Nordkapp and Norways western Fjords.
I am based in Ireland.

My Main deal breakers will be the following..

1: Weather conditions in Mid to late June for Northern Norway Vs Iceland and if the passes will still be somewhat snow covered. I recently saw a you tube video of a few guys in June 2015 having to cross a difficult pass that I wouldn't have the skill set or the appetite for.
See the pass here.. https://youtu.be/TXUgy3tzDf0

2: Cost, I believe both destinations are expensive, but I'm not sure how much to budget for and which one is more costly than the other ?
I don't plan to camp if possible. and I assume Iceland I would have to pre-book all my hotels where as Norway I could probably pick them up on the fly via booking.com

Obviously which one is the more scenic comes in to the equation but they both seem equally stunning from my googling endeavours !

I am riding over 20 years but I don't have any off road experience (not deliberately anyway !) but I may do the Off Road Skills Level 1 before I go.

Any thoughts on which one is the best destination would be appreciated !!

Thanks !

1. Weather in late June in both places will generally be ok. It might be crap - just like here. Doubt you will have any problem with snow.
2. Both are expensive - but don't have to be ruinously so. Depends on your tastes and drinking habits.

To get an idea on availability have a look at hotels on trip advisor for availability for tonight (as this is the time you'll be going). You will also get a feel for prices at the same time so you can decide your budget.
If you don't go off road, then you won't need off road skills. Both countries have plenty of proper roads.

You might want to have a look at the price of the Faroe/Iceland ferry - its pretty expensive.

I personally would recommend Norway - because I love it and go there quite regularly.

Don't bother with Nordkapp. Its crap.
Stay around Bergen and the Fjordland. Get up the Trollstigen and old Laerdall road.....just stunning. Go to Flam and try out the railway.
Everywhere has campsites which have Huts where you can stay for not much money if you don't want to camp.

Most of Iceland's interior roads will still be closed mid to late June, fine though if you're sticking to tarmac which I'm guessing you are if you're planning to hotel it.
Yes you would need to prebook them and they'll be expensive although you may drop lucky and find the odd place to stay without booking.

Nordcapp holds no attraction for me.....nor for many who've been there :D

Personally, take a tent and go to Iceland where you may drop lucky with the weather.

Best travel advice ever!
:D

Hey Zwerver!
Hope you're well, I remember your great photos from Iceland such a long time ago :)

I'm back there tomorrow to begin what will be my 9th ride.

Getting to Iceland by Ferry is VERY expensive. Goes from Hirshtals in northern Denmark and is 2 nights/3 days each way. Last time I priced it for two and one bike in the cheapest cabin it was about 2000 euro and that was on an offer based on getting off in the Faroes for a couple of nights. Cheaper if you take a bunk in a shared cabin or sleep on a couchette. Plus you have to get to Denmark - so that's two more ferries from Ireland. I look at the Iceland Ferry brochure every year, initially think "sod the expense, you only live once" but then reality dawns and we decide to do something else. We like Norway a lot last year. Expense and Spectacular-ness in equal balance.

I read in the paper yesterday that Iceland has been having a really shit summer so far this year. Rain everyday since May and something daft like only 7 hours sunshine in 2 months. I hope it improves for Timolgra.

Getting to Iceland by Ferry is VERY expensive. Goes from Hirshtals in northern Denmark and is 2 nights/3 days each way. Last time I priced it for two and one bike in the cheapest cabin it was about 2000 euro and that was on an offer based on getting off in the Faroes for a couple of nights. Cheaper if you take a bunk in a shared cabin or sleep on a couchette. Plus you have to get to Denmark - so that's two more ferries from Ireland. I look at the Iceland Ferry brochure every year, initially think "sod the expense, you only live once" but then reality dawns and we decide to do something else. We like Norway a lot last year. Expense and Spectacular-ness in equal balance.

I read in the paper yesterday that Iceland has been having a really shit summer so far this year. Rain everyday since May and something daft like only 7 hours sunshine in 2 months. I hope it improves for Timolgra.

Shipping the bikes is much cheaper, first time I went with my wife we took the ferry and it was fantastic although as you say, expensive!

The weather in West and South West has been pretty dismal this year, it's sunny today and fine tomorrow but rain again on Friday.
This years trip is committed to the North West mainly but if I was going alone or with the lady, I'd always be chasing the sunshine :beerjug:

Attachments

• weather.JPG
    weather.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 434
.....and Friday :pissl

Attachments

• Friday.JPG
    Friday.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 427
I would go to Nordkapp, it’s a fantastic ride up through Norway. It doesn’t have to be expensive, take a tent. I loved it, one of the best countries to ride a motorbike in the world. June can be tricky with snow in the high passes.

There’s a few Airbnb’s in Iceland too to keep costs down if you don’t want to camp. We stopped with a horse farmer near Seljalandsfoss and it was one of the most interesting accommodations we’ve had on the bike!

Hey Zwerver!
Hope you're well, I remember your great photos from Iceland such a long time ago :)

I'm back there tomorrow to begin what will be my 9th ride.

Hey Timolgra, life's good here in the Dutch mountains... Spent a few years mostly off-forum, exploring the Baltics/Eastern Europe.
Went back to Iceland last year (3rd trip), and this year to the North Cape (up through Finland, down Swedish/Norwegian border (still a ot of gravel).
Now thnking of either going back to Iceland next year (still havan't done the Askja to Sprengisandur route) or going up north again following the TET-routes, of which I've heard only good stories.

You enjoy the pish Tim & post some pics...

Geert - great to see you're still out and about :thumb2

Jim McS

Back
Top Bottom