Charging a BMW Communication System on a System 7 Helmet

Gerryfh

Reaction score
I’ve just bought a new a system 7 helmet with the BMW communication system installed, I’ve only briefly used it but noticed that the battery didn’t last very long only a few hours if you’re listening to music.
After reading the manual it says that the helmet can only be charged using the supplied charger which is great if you charge it overnight or every time you stop you plug it into the mains but meanwhile out on the road I might need to charge it on the go.
On my previous Scala Rider I could plug the charger cable into the aux socket on the bike and with a longer usb cable charge the headset on the move or when stopped for an hour or so charge the battery by attaching it to the aux and put the battery in my tank bag.
Do you think that if I bought a micro usb cable that I could do the same with this system using a USB adapter plugged into the aux socket by the instrument cluster, if not it’s a really poor design
On my previous GS I drilled the top box and installed a power lead into the box by using the opti mate lead to the battery, I was thinking of doing the same so I could put the helmet in the top box and charge it while I was stopped somewhere, what does everyone think ?

Your battery should be lasting way longer than that. Operating time at full volume: approx. 10-12 hours is what BMW say and they are not far off. If it's brand new it may take a few charge cycles to reach full potential.

I’m thinking that after a few charges it might improve, but I still would like to charge them from the bike, for instance on a overnight ferry with the previous system you could remove your luggage bags, put the helmets in the panniers and charge them so that they were ready the next morning, also it saved lugging the helmets up to your cabin and having to charge them there

I’m thinking that after a few charges it might improve, but I still would like to charge them from the bike, for instance on a overnight ferry with the previous system you could remove your luggage bags, put the helmets in the panniers and charge them so that they were ready the next morning, also it saved lugging the helmets up to your cabin and having to charge them there

I used to have 12V connection in my tank bag. However, as I switched to a different brand of tank bag, the 12V was no longer available. I now use a "batterybank", a high capacity rechargeble batteri With the capacity to charge my phone or whatever that connects to a USB port. And the batterybank requires less space than my previous solution as well.

Any suitable charger, even one connected to the bike’s battery, will charge it. It’s a battery, after all. There is nothing magical about your choice of motorbike in this regard either.

Everything says “use supplied chargers or cables” any cable and usb/power bank will do. A good power bank would be more useful than a static ‘plumbed in’ type of socket, many more options there, even a sports arm band to put it into and have it connected all the time.

I own one and I am rather pretty pleased with the battery time, there might be something up with yours. I always listen to music at almost max volume and it lasts more than a day and a half (8-10 hours continuous play).

I charge the helmet with whatever charger I have on hand (iPhone or any other that has USB), with whatever cable that fits the connector.

WARNING : In my experience, it's IMPOSSIBLE to use the helmet while it is charging. Might be a bug on mine but if I try to power the helmet while it's charging, or try plugging it while it's already on, it hangs, get totally unresponsive and can't be powered down at all. Only way to recover from that (bar physically disconnecting the battery) is letting the comm module drain the battery overnight.

Well used the helmet and comms for around 5 hours today and so far not really impressed, at 5 hours it’s down to 10% hardly used any music as it kept disconnecting from my iPhone 7 every few minutes, in the end I just gave up, who ever designed the buttons obviously has never ridden a bike ! it’s almost impossible to work out where the buttons are let alone which ones do what with gloves off !! I’d say totally impossible with gloves on, tried resetting the phone next I’m going to hopefully factory restore the comms and try again, disappointed

I can attest of the poor design of the buttons... What I can say after several months is you kinda get a feel for them(secret is to work out the position of your finger following the diamond shaped outer ridge), but me having a TFT equipped GS, I mostly only ever use the power on button (but I can find volume up and down in a pinch with gloves).

Now, I have a host of issues with the unit, sound quality and bluetooth connection wise, but your battery time is not normal(Did 600km yesterday, all of which with music on pretty much from 10am to 8pm and the comm still had juice this morning and didn't blare out a single low battery message yet). Plus your unit disconnecting at random is also not un line with my unit behavior. It can be difficult to get an initial pairing, and the quality of the sound is a little compressed for a couple minutes but I almost never lose a connection once it's been established.

I used the comms yesterday without my wife on the back, the unit worked really well, didn’t disconnect and using Siri with the comms button worked great all day, very strange! I think most of the intercoms on the market work on an ok basis I don’t think any of them are great, my old Cardo Scalia was only 4 years old and I found that rubbish
I think this system does a lot less but is slightly better, it’s definitely not loud enough though, with the front off my helmet I have to reduce speed to 40mph to hear a telephone call,

I agree, sound volume and quality is weak, at best... Wonder how much it would have added to the(already stellar) price of the unit to put actual good quality loudspeakers in it (and make the unit adjust the volume according to speed and/or ambient noise like any Cardo device does since times immemorial).

I was not aware it was possible to trigger Siri with the unit(mind sharing the way you activate it?). Not a big fan of voice activation/commands in general, and my microphone is almost always bent out of the helmet, but I can see scenarios where it could be useful.

Hi Rollmops I’ve never used Siri before just don’t like it but on the bike it’s been quite good, it’s the button across from the on/off button on mine

Hi Rollmops I’ve never used Siri before just don’t like it but on the bike it’s been quite good, it’s the button across from the on/off button on mine

This button has no use whatsoever on mine (and in the manual it is referred to as "for future use"). I connect my headset to the TFT Kombi of my 2018 GSR, maybe you are connected directly to your phone or Nav?

Or maybe you are running a newer revision of the firmware (mine runs on V270, can be checked by pressing power button and both volume buttons at the same time while headset is powered on).

I’ll check tomorrow, I did try to update my software this week but after downloading the update it wouldn’t load of a MacBook but only Microsoft so I gave up
I’ve connected mine direct to my handset, tried connecting to my Nav 5 but didn’t seem to make calls as well so I went back to just the headset

I am looking at buying a System 7 carbon to replace my trusty but knackered system 6. I was wondering about the integrated helmet comms but after reading about your issues I think I shall remain with my Sena 20S as it is totally reliable, works with in-ear monitors, can be charged when in use and the jog dial or double tap are intuitive. Just a shame it sticks out like a carbunkle.

I am looking at buying a System 7 carbon to replace my trusty but knackered system 6. I was wondering about the integrated helmet comms but after reading about your issues I think I shall remain with my Sena 20S as it is totally reliable, works with in-ear monitors, can be charged when in use and the jog dial or double tap are intuitive. Just a shame it sticks out like a carbunkle.

Yeah, keep your comm! The helmet is nice, but the comm is a little disappointing. Only true benefit (beside neat integration) is the ability to use the wonder wheel to adjust volume. For me, this is the true saving grace of the unit since I hate having to fiddle with the buttons on the lid(or worse on the Nav6 screen) to pause music if I need to quickly hear someone speaking at the lights(on my Schuberth C3pro, this could take a while since you had to find and long press a button, with gloves...).

That BMW make shitty and expensive comms and prevent third parties to take advantage of this function is mean, petty and greedy... Rest of the bike is pretty fair game for accessories manufacturers and part of the GS game, keeping this little enclave while producing inferior products doesn't make a lot of sense... Make some uber quality comms with the best parts you can source and make customer pay what they are worth, it's not like their usual audience is strapped for cash. /rant :-D

Back
Top Bottom