F850 Test Ride

fatbaldbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having recently purchased a new F800 GSA TE as I gave up waiting for the 850, I found i could not get on with the 800, the buffeting and wind turbulence for which there seems to be no cure regardless of which screen I tried, means it has to go, after 1000 miles I cannot live with it.

So today I took the 850 for a test ride; boy am I glad I never got one of them, it was awful. The seat is an instrument of torture and the engine rattles like a bag of spanners, it was so bad I stopped and put ear plugs in. The suspension is too soft regardless of which mode its in. Its quick if you give it the beans through the gears, but it's gutless in top or 5th if you need to overtake, at less than 60 plus you need to play tunes on the gear box to get anywhere, there seems to be no torque unless you keep the revs high.

So I have given up on the parallel twins and followed up the 850 test ride with a ride on a 1200 GS WC, I sold a 1200 GSA TC to buy the 800 GSA (big mistake) the result is a resounding win for the WC, its lighter than the old 1200 GSA but more powerful and agile, so now trying to offload the 800 for a 1200, no doubt it will cost me a fortune. Look out for lots of 800 Accessories coming up for sale if I can do a deal.

Having recently purchased a new F800 GSA TE as I gave up waiting for the 850, I found i could not get on with the 800, the buffeting and wind turbulence for which there seems to be no cure regardless of which screen I tried, means it has to go, after 1000 miles I cannot live with it.

So today I took the 850 for a test ride; boy am I glad I never got one of them, it was awful. The seat is an instrument of torture and the engine rattles like a bag of spanners, it was so bad I stopped and put ear plugs in. The suspension is too soft regardless of which mode its in. Its quick if you give it the beans through the gears, but it's gutless in top or 5th if you need to overtake, at less than 60 plus you need to play tunes on the gear box to get anywhere, there seems to be no torque unless you keep the revs high.

So I have given up on the parallel twins and followed up the 850 test ride with a ride on a 1200 GS WC, I sold a 1200 GSA TC to buy the 800 GSA (big mistake) the result is a resounding win for the WC, its lighter than the old 1200 GSA but more powerful and agile, so now trying to offload the 800 for a 1200, no doubt it will cost me a fortune. Look out for lots of 800 Accessories coming up for sale if I can do a deal.

Completely different to my experience and I have a 1200 LC that has been tuned.

Not as quick as the 1200 but an ok bike

Engine was quiet, suspension went from soft to hard

Pretty sure it’s sctually heavier, but it does feel lighter. Combination of a higher stand so easier to lift off, and fly by wire throttle I think.

Time to Google: 256kg vs. 228.

Fatbaldbobs impression of the F850 was completely opposite to my own initial ride. I have since seen a totally std bike and after the rep showed me the normal display (none FT version) I noticed there was only rain and road mode, not the dynamic and enduro of the demo bike. On my second test I ran in road mode only. Really disappointed, unimpressed and agreeing with Fatbaldbob about the engine . BMW want another £350 to add dynamic mode, something which will cost them £0.00 as its all in the software. Not very happy at BMWs attitude here, the bike is dumbed down in every function in road mode, throttle response is the main problem. Just to check nothing else had been adjusted I ran the last 30 mins in Dynamic and its just how I remember it, a potentially good bike.

I just got the 850 and I didn't mind this tricky regarding the dynamic and endure mode. But I didn't believe in the price they put on their website either.
I included the £300 in the base price since the beginning.

Talking about tricks, I didn't know that the 750 and 850 had the same engine, it was just a software throttle. (According to this site: https://www.adventurebikerider.com/bmw-f850gs-motorcycle-review-2018/ )

I also thought both engines were identical until the dealer told me their 850 demo and a customers 850 was included in the recall but none of the 750's they had sold or the demo bike had an issue.

I also thought both engines were identical until the dealer told me their 850 demo and a customers 850 was included in the recall but none of the 750's they had sold or the demo bike had an issue.

When looking at realoem the cylinderhead, camshafts and valves share the same partnumbers for 750 and 850, so appearently the engines are identical and power reduction lies in the electronics.

Could it be that the production line put out a batch of 850 and then later a batch of 750,(or vice versa) and that the problem showed up for a certain batch of bikes ? As I understand it, even if BMW halted all deliverys, not all of the bikes actually where affected even if they all where recalled initialy.

When looking at realoem the cylinderhead, camshafts and valves share the same partnumbers for 750 and 850, so appearently the engines are identical and power reduction lies in the electronics.

Could it be that the production line put out a batch of 850 and then later a batch of 750,(or vice versa) and that the problem showed up for a certain batch of bikes ? As I understand it, even if BMW halted all deliverys, not all of the bikes actually where affected even if they all where recalled initialy.

That would make sense. They halted everything because of a batch.
I just took my bike for the first service today. Everything working as expected, not a single problem was found :)

That would make sense. They halted everything because of a batch.
I just took my bike for the first service today. Everything working as expected, not a single problem was found :)

That is often the case.
When the 1200RT LC was introduced, the bikes where pulled of the marked due to a rear shock problem. According to my dealer there was 1 bike that failed and another one showing signs of problems, and yet BMW decided to ground all the bikes sold until then (several thousands). Every customer was offered a loaner of his choice until the problem was solved.

Whiners like to focus on BMW quality and all their "problems". In my book this is more about how serious BMW are about their quality and their customers. All brands are having problems of some sort, but not all of them face up to it. They just say nothing and fix it without saying, and the customers that run in to the problems are on their own.

I read some place that the F750/850 where tested over a periode of 4 years and driven more than 1 mill km, and yet it happens to A FEW engines after production start.

Enjoy your bike. The reviews are starting to come out now, and they are all very positive.

Fatbaldbobs impression of the F850 was completely opposite to my own initial ride. I have since seen a totally std bike and after the rep showed me the normal display (none FT version) I noticed there was only rain and road mode, not the dynamic and enduro of the demo bike. On my second test I ran in road mode only. Really disappointed, unimpressed and agreeing with Fatbaldbob about the engine . BMW want another £350 to add dynamic mode, something which will cost them £0.00 as its all in the software. Not very happy at BMWs attitude here, the bike is dumbed down in every function in road mode, throttle response is the main problem. Just to check nothing else had been adjusted I ran the last 30 mins in Dynamic and its just how I remember it, a potentially good bike.

If it is just a software throttle then an F750 taken to hilltop should produce the same numbers

I just got the 850 and I didn't mind this tricky regarding the dynamic and endure mode. But I didn't believe in the price they put on their website either.
I included the £300 in the base price since the beginning.

Talking about tricks, I didn't know that the 750 and 850 had the same engine, it was just a software throttle. (According to this site: https://www.adventurebikerider.com/bmw-f850gs-motorcycle-review-2018/ )

As my post above

Quoted incorrect post

If it is just a software throttle then an F750 taken to hilltop should produce the same numbers

So you think Hilltop will be able to get around the electronic limiter, or have they confirmed this?

While it would be great if they could, honestly, I don't think so.

I am guessing here, but since HT claims they maintain the adaption capability, this means that their software probably is using lots of software components from the OEM software in the BMS (or whatever the ECU it's called in the 750).
Mind you, in addition to control fueling, the BMS software also have to deal with E-throttle, traction control and CAN-bus communication to the other computers.
Changing the entire software while maintaing the OEM software in there (as they claim) means that they would have to rewrite most of the software in the BMS. Besides the required space, it would also mean LOTS of testing and extensive development work. No sane person would take the time and try to make money on such a task.

Probably, the power restrictions are hooked up to the VIN-number on the bike, so even a dealer would have a hard time changing software without replacing the BMS.

At least on lots of other vehicles, the computers for different vehicles come out the same when leaving the factory, but once it is programmed to a certain vehicle you will find it very difficult to reuse that particular computer in a different vehicle, as the computer is locked to the type after the initial program is loaded.

These are all assumptions made on my part, based on experience with Automotive Electronics in general, and BMW uses lots of car technology in their bikes.
Thus, I might be wrong. But don't hold Your breath...

That is often the case.
When the 1200RT LC was introduced, the bikes where pulled of the marked due to a rear shock problem. According to my dealer there was 1 bike that failed and another one showing signs of problems, and yet BMW decided to ground all the bikes sold until then (several thousands). Every customer was offered a loaner of his choice until the problem was solved.

Whiners like to focus on BMW quality and all their "problems". In my book this is more about how serious BMW are about their quality and their customers. All brands are having problems of some sort, but not all of them face up to it. They just say nothing and fix it without saying, and the customers that run in to the problems are on their own.

I read some place that the F750/850 where tested over a periode of 4 years and driven more than 1 mill km, and yet it happens to A FEW engines after production start.

Enjoy your bike. The reviews are starting to come out now, and they are all very positive.

Completely agree with you.
I like BMW because they take it very seriously. If anything was found, they stop until the problem is solved.

So far the bike is doing really good

Probably yes, but as you mentioned in your latest post it would require a complete new firmware.
The bike is completely electronic.
You can just the suspension just pressing 2 buttons and I saw that you can control the throttle and the brakes electronically, but I still haven't test it.

There’s not a huge difference up to 6k rpm between the 750 and 850.

Attachments

• 8E037D9E-3E29-461F-9E2F-224D2E760954.jpg
    8E037D9E-3E29-461F-9E2F-224D2E760954.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 269

Back
Top Bottom