Slow on the starter and then it's 'click-click-click'

Ogmios

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I dont get it.
Battery is fine, less than a year old. Takes and holds a charge. But recently when i hit the button it's really slow to turn over then the dreaded 'clicks'.
Checked across the + and - before last try and got 12.78v
wiring connections all good up to the motor.
I'm going to strip the starter , clean out the gaps in the commutator, look at the brushes.
Anything else you can think of?

~~~
Ta in advance.
why is it always fucking electrics with me and that Bike?! :(
... maybe it isn't and i'm just brilliant at everything else? :augie

Just try jumping it first from another battery. Might save you stripping the starter. Just because it’s got 12. Something volts dosent mean that their all good. That what a hi rate discharge tester is for. JJH

Just try jumping it first from another battery. Might save you stripping the starter. Just because it’s got 12. Something volts dosent mean that their all good. That what a hi rate discharge tester is for. JJH

Ta for reply.
I keep a spare (known to be good) battery - symptoms the same on either.
(Damnit!) :D

and with batteries in parallel rather than replacing each other?????

Its likely to be a Bosch starter in it isnt it?

You can split their solenoids and remove the carbon arcing marks which reduce current flow :thumb

Could be the wiring/connections between battery and starter.

(*Og blithely ignores certain stains upon his character and continues*) :p

My starter for one;
i thought these were 'Surprisa' (Italian for 'surprise'? :rolleyes: )
Connections / wiring are good. But i'm getting into the habit of changing anything i have to work on anyway. :nenau

Attachments

• guzzi starter.jpg
    guzzi starter.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 267
d76a8c205abe4df6d8ea1097718c40d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nin,
that thought did occur. :thumb
I'll soon see when i whip it out.
Thank you.

Update

I stripped the motor. all looks alright in there, but then i'm not sure what alright really is. :rolleyes:
Nothing obvious in there. brushes are about 12.5mm and 14mm, so slightly uneven wear.
Dont know original length and cant find any specs on wear limit. Anyone know for sure? :nenau
Bit of damage to the brush holders which i'll try to show in pics. I stripped the starter a couple of years ago when i did the gearbox return spring job (see - with a spanner i'm o.k / but totally useless at electrickery.:p ) so i know that damage has not got much worse.
The brushes stay where they're supposed to be and (thus far) work.

Cleaned the commutator. VERY mucky / clogged up. Wear is fairly even across, but seems to have quite shallow grooves - about half a mm? Should i worry? :confused:

Solenoid stripped as far as i can - there's a little wear on the copper (again, i'll try to show in pics) but no worse than when i last stripped this.

At the business end - with teeth what engage the flywheel ( it is the flywheel innit? :confused:) there's a little wear - but again it looks the same as a couple of years ago?

To be sure (to be sure! :aidan ) I got a new relay and heavy duty cable from the battery just as it seemed sensible to replace them.
Pics coming up ...

Attachments

• brush holder edit.jpg
    brush holder edit.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 234
  • pointy end edit.jpg
    pointy end edit.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 205
  • pointy end edit2.jpg
    pointy end edit2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 207
  • solenoid innards edit.jpg
    solenoid innards edit.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 205
  • worm drive edit.jpg
    worm drive edit.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 209
... and it's a Valeo starter / not Surprisa :rolleyes:

... and to add to the impression that i'm a a complete electroTwat :blush: , please tell me, upon reassembly;

Attachments

• idiot wire question.jpg
    idiot wire question.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 199
  • wire to stud edit.jpg
    wire to stud edit.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 171
Dear Dr.
Yes, they're in the piece of white latex gloves there in the middle. So I don't lose one.

Again.

Reassembled.
No joy.
Next; as it's the ONLY thing left and something i cant do myself ~ get battery properly checked by a perfessional.
will reply then.
... may pray to St. Jude in the meantime. :banghead:

A Positive result?

Got the batteries checked. By an adult. In a battery shop. :rolleyes:
Battery A. the 'good' one: cranking power = 230 (alleged to be 300 when new.)
Battery B. the 'spare' (which of course / murphys law* was the one in the Bike when i did all the ahem, diagnosis) .... cranking power = 130! :mad:
obviously this only confused matters. :blast
Nipped home and put the 'good' one on the Bike, fired Her up and She started first go.
Starter seemed (?) to turn easier.

Now, i could
1./ leave it and hope or
2./ Buy the shop suggested new all-singing-and-dancing Gel Battery which according to his little book of battery specs is the recommended one for my Bike; 30ah / 230cranking power.

Questions for the collective;
I thought that 24ah was the "recommended" one for Guzzis? - i've used 30ah car batteries for years on this Bike on the basis that bigger was better.
Is this false thinking as, given how much town riding and short distances i use the Bike for it would last longer between the inevitable charges i have to give it as it discharges more than charges (only 3 miles to work each way). :nenau
Is the reverse true - i.e; a 24ah would be more likely to get a chance to charge fully and thus provide more cranking power? :confused::nenau

p.s: i can get a gel battery for about €80 :thumb2
* murphy was a b*stard! :headbat

Back
Top Bottom