Sluggish Steed

Topcat502

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all..

I have noticed recently that the old girl seems to be a little sluggish when pulling off, especially when cold.
Seem to have to slip the clutch a little more than I had to before...

I accept I may have put on a few pounds recently, but crikey!!

Valve head adjustment and throttles balanced during spring time, recently serviced including plugs, and everything re-set etc
with GS911.. No fault codes displayed...

She's cut out about 3 times in the last year of use when going down the gearbox, but seems to run fine on high gear long runs???

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated......

Cheers :thumb2:thumb2

Failing coils will not show as a specific fault code. They can make the engine run rich and stall easily.

Thx guys for the input.. So yesterday I took out all the spark plugs which looked ok, the bottom ones were a little more sooty which I believe is normal. Took the Lambda sensors out which were white looking, again I believe is normal.. Looked at the gs-911 and was getting good spiky wave forms on the Lambda sensors. When I put things back together I tried the, running the bottom coils then the top coils as stated in previous posts to check for a failing coil. Granted this was done on the drive at this stage. The results were, at first, the bottom coils ran shitty when "blipping" the throttle, but were great on steady acceleration. The Top coils seemed ok when tested and Eureka, I thought.. found the problem.. !!! Well, so I thought. The same happened eventually to the top coils.. Both run fine on steady acceleration but hate being "blipped". Next stage is to test bottom and top on a run, under load.. Any further pointers would be appreciated guys.. Cheers Kev

Failing coils cause the engine to run rich & that messes up the O2 sensors so the engine struggles through all sorts of symptoms.

A 2008 bike is ripe for needing at least new primary coils and probably secondaries as well.

Is it mileage or age that kills the coils?

Sent from a U11

After a period of stalling and strange fuel mixture issues, mine both died within a few miles of each other at about 40K miles. Bike was 5 years old at the time. Both smelled of singed insulation but as they appeared to be working ok (the engine ran) and live inside a hot air-cooled cylinder head I assumed it was normal.

It's not normal. Any sort of hot insulation smell from the coils means they are failing. Miles and/or age will do it.

The secondaries are exposed to weather and will fail when the laminations get split by corrosion.

Just wanted to update. I changed the stick coils (All of em) over a couple of months last year. To date still had no issues. Recently adjusted valve clearances and plugs... All still good. Hope this helps for others...

Try a couple of tanks of Redex. Tends to work when I have those symptoms. Just one possibility

Just wanted to update. I changed the stick coils (All of em) over a couple of months last year. To date still had no issues. Recently adjusted valve clearances and plugs... All still good. Hope this helps for others...

Try a couple of tanks of Redex. Tends to work when I have those symptoms. Just one possibility

Erm.... read the post above yours,

I had trouble with mine let year, not firing right on large throttle openings and misfiring, main coilsticks replaced and it was fixed too.

Erm.... read the post above yours,

I had trouble with mine let year, not firing right on large throttle openings and misfiring, main coilsticks replaced and it was fixed too.

I read "still had issues". Updating thread for solution is v helpful

Back
Top Bottom