Track bike project

Billd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As I like bike projects and my recent TR750 project is nearing completion I've decided to take on another.

Having ridden the Suzuki TR750 on the track I realized that the bike needed lots of ongoing refinement but more importantly I did. To combine a green bike with a green track rider is...... A BRIDGE TO FAR! To break the problem into two parts it seemed that a more modern and, more significantly, already partially developed track bike would be the answer.

I have a plan forward on the TR and suspect it will be completely developed, as far as I want to take it by this time next year. That seems like a long time but I have the time. In the end the new track bike is a support project for the ultimate (for me) TR750 project.

With that criteria in mind I started to look for a potential donor bike that met the following "want to have"

-a bike about the same weight and power as the TR750
-liked the idea of staying in the same family...……. Suzuki, although other makes were considered
-600cc
-needed to already be a track bike as converting a road bike to track bike can be expensive, a mistake I've made far to many times with projects
-mid 1990's to mid 2000
-a clear V5 title

To that end, after researching a few bikes, I acquired a 2001 Suzuki GSXR600 with the following addons.

-Yoshimura wiring loom and ECU
-rearsets
-new lithium lightweight battery
-engine built by Mike Smith, sketchy details but have requested the build sheet from Bill Smith
-full Akrapovic exhaust system, it does sound good and not to loud.
-Power Commander 3
-WP rear shock
-reworked front forks by MCT with WP revalve kit and springs. Will ask for build sheet and details from MCT
-Ohlins steering damper
-new race fairings in white
-braded brake lines
-new Metzeler Sporttec M7 RR tyres front and back
-Power Commander.

My first impression of the bike is...…."looks like tripe but tidie" Have added pictures (all on their sides so if someone can upright please do!!)to share the starting point. As always, interested in your comments and suggestions. Will update this post from time to time.

Attachments

• gsxr3.jpg
    gsxr3.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 185
  • gsxr2.jpg
    gsxr2.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 189
  • gsxr1.jpg
    gsxr1.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 187

Back
Top Bottom