Now I have to buy one...

Boxerlust

Reaction score
...since BMW got their heads out of their asses and finally after 3 long years offer the 2018 S1000XR in black.Acctually triple-black...:thumb
I hope the new GS will have 150hp otherwise I have to learn to love the chain...;)
I mean I always liked the S1000XR except for the missing shaftdrive and TL but in black I might not be able resist when I see it the first time...:D
I'm also excited about the all new S1000RR which should debut soon but as a superbike for the road the XR will do just fine...:thumby:

Picked mine up this morning, not the colour you want but I'm chuffed to bits with it although it's restricted until 600 miles :bounce1

Test rode an S1000XR yesterday and bought it on the spot!

Awesome bike, runs rings around the cumbersome GS.

Went for the Motorsport colours and high level can as not keen on the low level standard offering.

Also removed the rear pannier scaffolding, fitted tail tidy and rad guards, and finally got the belly pan colour coded.

Delivery in two weeks - can't wait!

Love mine too! Just need more time to ride it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...since BMW got their heads out of their asses and finally after 3 long years offer the 2018 S1000XR in black.Acctually triple-black...:thumb
I hope the new GS will have 150hp otherwise I have to learn to love the chain...;)
I mean I always liked the S1000XR except for the missing shaftdrive and TL but in black I might not be able resist when I see it the first time...:D
I'm also excited about the all new S1000RR which should debut soon but as a superbike for the road the XR will do just fine...:thumby:

Like this ?

Attachments

• F8FD3705-87A6-4E43-8684-0ABDB6536B42.jpeg
    F8FD3705-87A6-4E43-8684-0ABDB6536B42.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 493
Test rode an S1000XR yesterday and bought it on the spot!

Awesome bike, runs rings around the cumbersome GS.

Went for the Motorsport colours and high level can as not keen on the low level standard offering.

Also removed the rear pannier scaffolding, fitted tail tidy and rad guards, and finally got the belly pan colour coded.

Delivery in two weeks - can't wait!

High level can? Aftermarket, I assume?

@ polecat;that's the one...:thumby:
If the GS does not get 150 hp for 2019 I will definitely get one !
It's the only superbike you can actually ride.And yes it runs circles around the GS when it comes to motor and handling.The only drawback is the chain...:(

Can you ride a bike in the USA at age 12 ?

It's the only superbike you can actually ride.And yes it runs circles around the GS when it comes to motor and handling.The only drawback is the chain...:(

Perhaps improve your riding skills/eyesight if you think the XR is a superbike .

Are all the others unrideable then ? 🤪

Arsey don't be an arsey...:D
The only "rideable superbike" was meant the XR is a real superbike but one with a seating position that works for more than 20 minutes on the track as also you get practical centerstand and hard-bags/top box essential for everyday life on the road...I have ridden the S1000RR on the track since 2011 4 times a year every year at Cal SBK school but never the XR.But if a BSB superbike racer as in some video shows that he was only a second slower on the XR compared to the RR that tells me the XR is even fun & capable on the track...:thumby:
And yes all the race replicas are unrideable on the street with their seating position,low vision and lack of luggage to store your stuff.Definately the wrong tools for the street that only make sense on the track.
Until the XR came...:thumb
Even if the tools at the magazins compare it to MS and superdukeGT;They don't have a clue and get paid by Ducati and KTM...;)
The year before last the R1 was the best.Last year the GSXR and now the 3 grand a valve adjustment V4 Panigale while the guys on the S1000RR wipe the floor with all of them at the TT...:thumb2

Arsey don't be an arsey...:D
The only "rideable superbike" was meant the XR is a real superbike but one with a seating position that works for more than 20 minutes on the track as also you get practical centerstand and hard-bags/top box essential for everyday life on the road...I have ridden the S1000RR on the track since 2011 4 times a year every year at Cal SBK school but never the XR.But if a BSB superbike racer as in some video shows that he was only a second slower on the XR compared to the RR that tells me the XR is even fun & capable on the track...:thumby:
And yes all the race replicas are unrideable on the street with their seating position,low vision and lack of luggage to store your stuff.Definately the wrong tools for the street that only make sense on the track.
Until the XR came...:thumb
Even if the tools at the magazins compare it to MS and superdukeGT;They don't have a clue and get paid by Ducati and KTM...;)
The year before last the R1 was the best.Last year the GSXR and now the 3 grand a valve adjustment V4 Panigale while the guys on the S1000RR wipe the floor with all of them at the TT...:thumb2

Suggest you try a Kawasaki H2 SX then,although not much use with your ridiculous speed limits and straight roads.

Saw one of those today, looks quite small, seemed easy enough to move about in the car park, and made a nice noise too. If I had the money I'd be up for a test ride, but not inclined to tempt myself!

Saw one of those today, looks quite small, seemed easy enough to move about in the car park, and made a nice noise too. If I had the money I'd be up for a test ride, but not inclined to tempt myself!

Go and have a go, you will not be disappointed, as with any bike it's got a small niggle with "vibration" through the bars but with heavier bar ends it disappears :D

£120 Chain & Sprocket set, £1300 BMW rear bevel box, yea Chain & Sprockets are shit !!

I have both bikes. I still prefer the GS for suspension, grunt, ample power, shaft drive v chain, lights, fitting of extras such as spots, wheel options, weather protection, travel trip info.

Need I go on?

The XR is a great bike and a whizz to ride - I love it. But if I had to part with one ……. no contest for me, but it did take me a year and 6000 miles on each bike to find out.

Still got both bikes btw.

Chain and sprockets are shit if you are used to a driveshaft.
As for GS vs XR I would say the engine performance is so exiting/addictive which makes the XR so much fun like I said the only real superbike that has a seating position good for more than a 20 min track session,hard bags/top box for trips and centerstand but it comes at a penalty which everyone can only answer himself if the fun/performance over the GS is worth it;
-chain
-no top loading bags
-no Telelever that is so comliant on todays bad roads and does not dive while hard on the brakes so you can ride faster where the fork already chatters and are more comfortable
+ 45 hp more !
For me the best answer would be the 150 hp R 1300 XR...:D
But if BMW decides to bore us with 137 hp come autumn then I could see myself on a 2019 S 1000 XR in triple-black...;)
I also love my R 9 T and to riding a rented S1000RR on the track 2 to 4 times a year on the track at Ca Superbikeschool to hone my skills...

Chain and sprockets are shit if you are used to a driveshaft.
As for GS vs XR I would say the engine performance is so exiting/addictive which makes the XR so much fun like I said the only real superbike that has a seating position good for more than a 20 min track session,hard bags/top box for trips and centerstand but it comes at a penalty which everyone can only answer himself if the fun/performance over the GS is worth it;
-chain
-no top loading bags
-no Telelever that is so comliant on todays bad roads and does not dive while hard on the brakes so you can ride faster where the fork already chatters and are more comfortable
+ 45 hp more !
For me the best answer would be the 150 hp R 1300 XR...:D
But if BMW decides to bore us with 137 hp come autumn then I could see myself on a 2019 S 1000 XR in triple-black...;)
I also love my R 9 T and to riding a rented S1000RR on the track 2 to 4 times a year on the track at Ca Superbikeschool to hone my skills...

Its a matter of personal choice really, been on GS's and FJR for the past 14 years, been let done more by a drive shaft than ever by Chain and sprocket. Average mileage a sedate 12000ish a year and been riding 41 years.

Don't see many WSB or MotopGP bikes with drive shafts ;-)

I was concerned a little before I bought it but ridden 4K in the last 6 weeks and its not caused me an issue, wouldn't have objected if it had one, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

Wouldn't do for us all to be the same !:D

In WSB and Moto GP they only run 100 miles a day and have mechanics to lube & adjust the chain...:D
No need for shaftdrive or Telelever as the roads they ride on are mostly perfectly smooth unlike the roads we ride on...;)
What is better,hammer or pen ? Depends on the job,you need the right tool so the comparison with MotoGP/GP you often hear when it come to shaft or Telelever is not a valid one.I can tell you from my experience Telelever beats the Ohlin$$$ fork on my R9T hands down on bumpy roads or when braking hard and lack of feel is just nonsense from the idiots who write for the magazines who parrot each other...
But I have to admit the ESA fork with long travel on the XR is not bad and much better than the regular 120mm suspension travel forks.
But still for me a chain is just a pain,lubing,adjusting,replacing and cleaning the rearwheel...:(
But I still could be tempted because the S1000XR engine is so much fun/fast...:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom