Not my Bike - GTS 1000 anyone

flytoolow

Reaction score
HI,

Im here for someone to talk me into / out of a GTS1000....

Ive been looking to add a touring /sports bike to my garage. Hence Ive normally been looking at "RT's" on the other side of this site...

Then a GTS popped up on my browser. I pass one parked up on my way to see my Sister in France and have always been intrigued. My interest has been renewed by a local bike, about a grand, about 20K. Needs battery and a few side pieces after being dropped. Its in someones basement / garage for 4 years. Starts on the button when jump started. I haven't had a ride yet since still in garage without power.

It seems to be one of those marmite bikes, hated by those who haven't owned one, and loved by those that have...

My bike history K12RS (gone), 1150GSA (main bike), R12C (Sundays)& R80GSPD (project). Im looking for something between the K12RS and my GSA for tours around Europe. Im in no way blinkered by the scarcity of parts, but at a £grand, a bit of a white elephant classic, Is it worth a punt?

Any opinions:nenau

I rode one once 2 up, a capable and very comfortable motorcycle.
You could have a lot of happy miles on a comfortable classic, much better than rattling around on an old BSA.
Go for it the prices are low and being Yamaha it will be solid reliable.
Check the owners forum, I think the front disc is scarce and expensive.
The chassis is a work of art.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 1,406
I took a demonstrator out for a couple of hours in the 90's, and was impressed.

In the end I couldn't make my mind up to go for one. I wish I had.

I would really like one now if I could find a nice one, but realistically it'd be too heavy for me. They are something like 260 kilos.

Good luck in finding a good one.

I owned one one back in the day when they were new, about 20 years ago, mine was a nearly new and I couldn't fault it, I only sold it to get some money together to buy a barn for sale, which I converted and still live in.

I'd definitely have another one if it came along at the right price, but I've only ever seen 2 on the road since I had mine. Strangely enough, I sold mine to a guy who was a disqualified car driver, about to get his licence back and had decided to take his bike test, I delivered the GTS to his house and left it in the drive, always been curious how it worked out!

Save it before some hipster does this to it :

Attachments

• F739AEE9-73FE-409A-A60B-94D808D8EDCA.jpg
    F739AEE9-73FE-409A-A60B-94D808D8EDCA.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,335
Whilst I understand the temptation, I would suggest you resist it & look elsewhere. Yamaha never really got the GTS sorted - the one I tried was a heavy, underpowered, numb feeling bike & the ABS seemed to be cutting in all the time.

Steve Linsdell at Flitwick Motorcycles worked long & hard to improve the beast for road racing, but the mods needed were significant. By that time Yamaha had moved on & left the ideas for the history books. Now something for the collector, rather than a bike for everyday riding IMHO.

Seen this for sale in Florida in March, gives you an idea of US prices.
Also had a long chat with a dude in the hood in New Orleans with a Blue one.
He was saying there were only a few registered in the State, He loved it and disappeared up the road in a sprightly manner.
BTW if anyone knows of one going cheap, let me know I will buy it.

Attachments

• 20180313_114056.jpg
    20180313_114056.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 1,210
Seen this for sale in Florida in March, gives you an idea of US prices.
Also had a long chat with a dude in the hood in New Orleans with a Blue one.
He was saying there were only a few registered in the State, He loved it and disappeared up the road in a sprightly manner.
BTW if anyone knows of one going cheap, let me know I will buy it.

There was one down in Meskells for a long time Pat

There's one been stood on it's centre stand outside a house in Maidstone for 15 years to my knowledge - covered in moss and bird shit with wing mirrors hanging off. Always think of knocking when passing and enquiring but it's in a heck of a state

I remember reading a comparison test between that and a K1200RS. Even allowing a margin for the authors blue and white tinted specs, the GTS was no match for the BMW as an everyday machine.

It's the future, it must be as Ducati say so with their 2020 Electric bike...

Ducati%2BZero_Superbike_Motivezine%2B07.jpg

RBW.

I had a red GTS1000A for about 5 years. Excellent machine. The front single sided swing arm is an amazing bit of kit. Just aim for the corner and the bike will do the rest. A bit disconcerting at first, it's as if someone is riding the bike for you but is extremely stable at anything you push on it.
The engine is a peach, that never went wrong in all the time I had it.
I gave it to a mate and he still has it and I bought a GS.

I had a red GTS1000A for about 5 years. Excellent machine. The front single sided swing arm is an amazing bit of kit. Just aim for the corner and the bike will do the rest. A bit disconcerting at first, it's as if someone is riding the bike for you but is extremely stable at anything you push on it.
The engine is a peach, that never went wrong in all the time I had it.
I gave it to a mate and he still has it and I bought a GS.

I rode one many years ago (pre bmw days) and was very excited by the plush ride and planted positive feedback on cornering. Engine performance limited as it was all a bit new.
Was not pleased about the price.........

HI,

Im here for someone to talk me into / out of a GTS1000....

Ive been looking to add a touring /sports bike to my garage. Hence Ive normally been looking at "RT's" on the other side of this site...

Then a GTS popped up on my browser. I pass one parked up on my way to see my Sister in France and have always been intrigued. My interest has been renewed by a local bike, about a grand, about 20K. Needs battery and a few side pieces after being dropped. Its in someones basement / garage for 4 years. Starts on the button when jump started. I haven't had a ride yet since still in garage without power.

It seems to be one of those marmite bikes, hated by those who haven't owned one, and loved by those that have...

My bike history K12RS (gone), 1150GSA (main bike), R12C (Sundays)& R80GSPD (project). Im looking for something between the K12RS and my GSA for tours around Europe. Im in no way blinkered by the scarcity of parts, but at a £grand, a bit of a white elephant classic, Is it worth a punt?

Any opinions:nenau
I think I may have found one? Not had a spin yet but just the right "everything ". Will keep y'all posted!

I think I may have found one? Not had a spin yet but just the right "everything ". Will keep y'all posted!

Well I must admit Im "impressed" for a nigh on 25 year old bike! Picked it up yesterday and have ridded about 300 miles from twisty mountain roads to motorways. Its definitely a high speed touring bike. Its almost everything a boxer engine isn't. It'll cruise all day at "almost" illegal speeds:augie:augie:augie. I was concerned about the range. I was hearing 120 miles to the red light. Im thinking that is unfounded. The tank is difficult to gauge due to its odd shape and it takes time to properly fill it, But Im guessing 170miles comfortable. Seats OK. It doesn't have the "In your face acceleration of the Modern bikes but Its a blast at triple digits and its enough for me. Ill get some piccies up soon..
Cheers all

Back
Top Bottom