whats done at 6k service

Because when I worked in the motor trade we invested in an expensive piece of kit to test brake fluid. After testing hundreds of vehicles with fluid as old as ten years and looking shitty, we found that not one of these vehicles had any issue with the fluid that required it to be changed.

Added to this, BMW change the fluid at the first year, whereas other manufacturers, using the same fluid, same ABS systems, same brake lines, same callipers don’t do it at year one, most are year two and some are year three or more.

Also most motor vehicles don’t change the fluid for many years, quite a few over 5 years, some 7 years and even the yanks make cars with the brake fluid sealed for the life of the vehicle.

That is how I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My MK4 Mondeo was filled with long life brake fluid - good for 10 yrs apparently.

Ive had the brake fluid boiling point tested on a variety of vehicles, and spent a day with Castrol in Reading, all part of collision investigation.

If I remember correctly some 4 or 5% water contamination can affect the system, boiling and causing vapour lock.

All cars have a dual circuit system, larger than a bike where I assume more heat could be absorbed. I would suggest that the manufacturers have taken the worst case scenario for the fluid change on their bikes.

Plus, as previously stated they make more money from us

When considering time between change of brakefluid we must also keep in mind what type of fluid we are using.
There are types that does not absorb water, as used for the clutch by BMW. However in addition to the ability, or lack of such, to absorb water there is also differences in how much heath the fluid can handle.

I do not have intimate knowledge of the different types, so instead I stick to the manufacturars recomandations. And living in a hilly environment I have been able to see what boiling brakefluid does to your braking ability, so I stick to the recomendation (or actually not. I diy maintenance, so I change every year).

Modern oils and fluids are more than capable of lasting and protecting for more than 6000 miles or a year !

Some cars allegedly dont need a first service until 24000 miles

Even Ducati service intervals are 9000 miles so i believe that BMW are just money grabbing with their service schedule.

Lets be fair here a BMW boxer engine isnt exactly highly tuned noe does it have very tight tolerances

Hey you're the one making big statements and calling out BMW. Perhaps you should argue it out with them.

Just because your company "tested hundreds of vehicles" means nothing to me, or BMW I imagine.

A big statement, maybe in your small mind. I still stand by what I say based on my knowledge skills and experience. If my statement means nothing to you then why did you send time looking up service intervals on the internet.

Let’s look at the original post, a 6000 mile service in just over a year, so the brake fluid is being changed at just over 12 months. Yet the manual for my Triumph says the fluid is to be changed at 12000.

As I’ve said testing has shown the fluid and especially modern fluid doesn’t go off in such short a time. I also notice of one of the images you posted it says change the brake lines at 4 years, yet other manufacturers don’t require this.

As someone else has posted, his Mondeo doesn’t need it changing for 10 years.

So there we have it, there is inconsistency from manufacturers as to when to change the fluid, hence my view that to change it as per the BMW schedule is a rip off.

As it doesn’t matter to you, as you say, then why even respond to my original?

I suppose you’re the kind of person that won’t go 1 mph over the speed on the warning sticker inside the BMW top box, in case you suddenly fall off.

As for arguing it out with BMW, it’s not that big an issue in my life to worry about, yes I think it’s a rip off, however I paid to have my bike serviced as per the schedule, doesn’t mean I agree with it.

Now jog on and bore someone else.

It's a fucking con. Accept it as such and move on or, don't bother having it done by your dealer until later on in the vehicle's life :D

Ahh so you tested vehicles all over the world in different environments? That's where BMW sells their bikes.

Changing brake fluid in a bike after two years is more than reasonable for a bike.

I’ve tested the water content in my brake fluid many times and never had a reading which necessitated changing it.

Something which winds me up on cars is the brake pad warning light coming on when the pads still have 50% of the friction material remaining. Blatant rip-off because 99% of owners are not going to question a dealer replacing them when the vehicle warning light tells them they need replacing.

In my view, the warning light should be set to illuminate when they’re worn down to 1mm of thickness remaining and not 10

waffling nonsense

Like I said before, go and argue with the manufacturers. Obviously they have no idea what they are doing and need your help. After all, the place where you worked "tested hundreds of vehicles" so you must the world authority on brake fluid.

Because when I worked in the motor trade we invested in an expensive piece of kit to test brake fluid. After testing hundreds of vehicles with fluid as old as ten years and looking shitty, we found that not one of these vehicles had any issue with the fluid that required it to be changed.

Added to this, BMW change the fluid at the first year, whereas other manufacturers, using the same fluid, same ABS systems, same brake lines, same callipers don’t do it at year one, most are year two and some are year three or more.

Also most motor vehicles don’t change the fluid for many years, quite a few over 5 years, some 7 years and even the yanks make cars with the brake fluid sealed for the life of the vehicle.

That is how I know.

Now sit back and wait for the idiots to tell you how wrong you are!

Whats wrong with changing brake fluid every two years?

I don't think thats unreasonable..

Whats wrong with changing brake fluid every two years?

I don't think thats unreasonable..

It's a RIP OFF!!!!!!!!

Didn't you know BMW really makes all their money by ripping people off on brake fluid? Oh wait, many other manufacturers have the same brake fluid service intervals. They are all out to get us!!!!

It's a RIP OFF!!!!!!!!

Didn't you know BMW really makes all their money by ripping people off on brake fluid? Oh wait, many other manufacturers have the same brake fluid service intervals. They are all out to get us!!!!

Oh I get it, it's not the brake fluid, it's the dealers chance to tamper with your brakes and spokes !! Fuckin bastards !!

Oh I get it, it's not the brake fluid, it's the dealers chance to tamper with your brakes and spokes !! Fuckin bastards !!

This shit is a global conspiracy of epic proportion, governments and countries will fall over this. I heard on the grape vine that Trump might go to war with the great brake fluid barons in the Middle East as they holding up the world supply.

to the op, change the final drive oil yourself every year. it will pay dividends on the life of the unit. preferably use the gl5 fully synthetic 80/140 oil.

This shit is a global conspiracy of epic proportion, governments and countries will fall over this. I heard on the grape vine that Trump might go to war with the great brake fluid barons in the Middle East as they holding up the world supply.

You are clearly a cockwomble of the first order.

Does being a dick come naturally or do you practice to be so good at it.

You are clearly a cockwomble of the first order.

Does being a dick come naturally or do you practice to be so good at it.

I heard you are going to be knighted by the Queen for your great work with brake fluid and will be heading up a royal commission into manufacturer brake fluid pricing. Congratulations!!!!

I heard you are going to be knighted by the Queen for your great work with brake fluid and will be heading up a royal commission into manufacturer brake fluid pricing. Congratulations!!!!

Yeah, apparently I’m up for the Knighthood straight after the National award for being a complete dickhead. That award is going to some cockwomble called Fredaroony.

Back
Top Bottom