Nick dj

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 17 plate bike goes in for a 6k service on Wednesday

They tell me all they do is oil and filter plus change brake fluid? why
They do not check valves until 12k
the rear drive oil is changed at 600 miles then 12k

And the cost for not doing a lot really is £210

Any feedback greatly appreciated on what you had done.

Yep the very same and around the same cost at Manchester BMW. For the valve check you had better start saving up :blast

Sheesh, that’s a rip off. Barnstormer always include the first service FOC, you just pay for the parts.

My 17 plate bike goes in for a 6k service on Wednesday

They tell me all they do is oil and filter plus change brake fluid? why
They do not check valves until 12k
the rear drive oil is changed at 600 miles then 12k

And the cost for not doing a lot really is £210

Any feedback greatly appreciated on what you had done.

Brake fluid change is a rip off. Unfortunately it’s about the same at all dealers. They keep us tied to the dealers with fear of the warranty being invalidated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brake fluid change is a rip off. Unfortunately it’s about the same at all dealers. They keep us tied to the dealers with fear of the warranty being invalidated.

Why is brake fluid change a rip off?

Because when I worked in the motor trade we invested in an expensive piece of kit to test brake fluid. After testing hundreds of vehicles with fluid as old as ten years and looking shitty, we found that not one of these vehicles had any issue with the fluid that required it to be changed.

Added to this, BMW change the fluid at the first year, whereas other manufacturers, using the same fluid, same ABS systems, same brake lines, same callipers don’t do it at year one, most are year two and some are year three or more.

Also most motor vehicles don’t change the fluid for many years, quite a few over 5 years, some 7 years and even the yanks make cars with the brake fluid sealed for the life of the vehicle.

That is how I know.

Because when I worked in the motor trade we invested in an expensive piece of kit to test brake fluid. After testing hundreds of vehicles with fluid as old as ten years and looking shitty, we found that not one of these vehicles had any issue with the fluid that required it to be changed.

Added to this, BMW change the fluid at the first year, whereas other manufacturers, using the same fluid, same ABS systems, same brake lines, same callipers don’t do it at year one, most are year two and some are year three or more.

Also most motor vehicles don’t change the fluid for many years, quite a few over 5 years, some 7 years and even the yanks make cars with the brake fluid sealed for the life of the vehicle.

That is how I know.

Ahh so you tested vehicles all over the world in different environments? That's where BMW sells their bikes.

Changing brake fluid in a bike after two years is more than reasonable for a bike.

Ahh so you tested vehicles all over the world in different environments? That's where BMW sells their bikes.

Changing brake fluid in a bike after two years is more than reasonable for a bike.

Clearly you are being argumentative for the sake of it. What knowledge and experience do you have on the subject?

Seeing as you appear to be an armchair expert, please explain why other manufacturers sell their vehicles all over the world in different environments yet some have sealed for life brake fluid.

If you have the knowledge, experience, training and qualifications to back up your comments, please prove me wrong.

Clearly you are being argumentative for the sake of it. What knowledge and experience do you have on the subject?

Seeing as you appear to be an armchair expert, please explain why other manufacturers sell their vehicles all over the world in different environments yet some have sealed for life brake fluid.

If you have the knowledge, experience, training and qualifications to back up your comments, please prove me wrong.

Hey you're the one making big statements and calling out BMW. Perhaps you should argue it out with them.

Just because your company "tested hundreds of vehicles" means nothing to me, or BMW I imagine.

No other manufacturers charge the brake fluid at 1 year and Bmw never used to either

I reckon it’s because so many people change their bikes at 2 years and they were missing out on lots of revenue because of this

So change it at 1 year and we all pay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess Yamaha are wrong too? Service schedule for the MT-10

DChRRVuMZHNjVp2SjvxSGXcU20nMlehcwSjCNxqjo2IqDWipYJBtcPBaM9p-U_Ch0zL8tcv985RHjjIC8vwOs75T8_8Cgcjm_FkrFan9zopnrCCsGPtkNllxKwYUbPnjqFwWJaonS6QLlMPHAQRQwzTnFFWE8VFDkFPMJLIHQ9jmBpzCwgfFH2iBaLN1tb5nOBxTdpWi-gok2wCnaAsO4rgVU2nWp4UQNDDOUFQm_fNMB8jvQdWitUI4laJSgiLW1Qh8_37XdwruEu8ZB_rcBSoEga5wy-Rsuo2IhanNLw-XWR10bw6dMWLdxGu4_x0L6SI3JymPfqb0JWuXHoulVcSvKLMDiKdyDn-rB07FUsnx83S3nxO8O5NvPSDcSLpv-uMRCEcMgd1rH3iFrupVhGOwnH7bXFwmQQyoDuL5Ywg9bcldEL3EPhoe07mvUPrQj8nGb-Tg52GJ1FjSica-XX_b0hOhIKZ49LSOyfyrU4AhUbwHcsy75vqVUMQZFh7x2mJE8vE9gAD-g6YKd6YAOn7GLAbHkuyjyndnT8HH9l2PW4Nut9N_H6Hl0MS70rX7imoI471ScSOJ-fuo9ArxMp1oAz-xNoc6K-iU94b-=w1660-h588-no

I do my own servicing, but paid BMW Dealer to change brake fluids front and rear at 1 year old (not at 6,000 mile interval as bike was only 8 months old at that point).

Cost me £60 in total and I don't have any hassle with ABS flush or air in system, which I think is fair every 2 years for them to do it.

I do my own servicing, but paid BMW Dealer to change brake fluids front and rear at 1 year old (not at 6,000 mile interval as bike was only 8 months old at that point).

Cost me £60 in total and I don't have any hassle with ABS flush or air in system, which I think is fair every 2 years for them to do it.

Phew!!! I thought it was a great conspiracy to rip us off there for a minute!!

Phew!!! I thought it was a great conspiracy to rip us off there for a minute!!

Cost of service parts are fairly cheap. It's BMW Labour costs which are high.

It'll be interesting to see how much my 12,000 miles service parts cost

Back
Top Bottom