Tank Contents Gauge stuck at full.

Thanks for your comments guys. Just had my confidence dented as I always use the trip as my HowgoZit for fuel. My riding style the low level light always came on at 170 to 180 miles. So to run out of fuel at 170 really p**sed me off. If that had happened on the West Coast you could end up in a really shiddy place. Eaten alive by midge waiting to hitch a lift. Still convinced the broken float head had something to do with it. Just passed 165 miles so expecting low level light soon. Be interested if the bike still takes 14 litres to full. Safe riding to you all.
Just noticed the nozzle on the top left of the red container.Dooh!!

Just to close the loop. Low level light illuminated at 170 miles. Filled to the brim 13.5 litres. So now know light comes on with at least 6 litres in the tank. Float valve reads pessimistic. But at least I know with my riding style a should get another 60 miles out of the bike before empty. Safe riding. However will fill up when light illuminates if I can to keep pillion happy.

Morning Gang. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong with the filler nozzle when refuelling. Fuel gauge stuck at full for the SECOND time. Bloody annoying because after last experience have to refuel every 140 miles. I deliberately do not slam the nozzle deep into the tank to AVOID HITTING FLOAT BAR. Top up to below the "throat" as recommended in the manual. Despite this gauge broken again. The fact this is the second failure leads me to believe I might be the problem even after treating the bike with kid gloves every refuel.

Tank Gauge

Or BMW didn’t “replace” it; they just fixed it.........

Think I might be in error assuming a float switch.. Looking at diagrams I cannot see one . If it is electrical how come after repair low level light illuminated with 6.5 litres remaining? Manual states 4.5. If that is the case should not really matter how far you stick filler cap into the tank!! Appreciate any inject from anyone who has taken a tank apart. Seen some Utube video about sorting strips with Piezo lighter. Way above my pay grade and do not want to invalidate warranty. If it is electrical and sends info to computer and ECU explains why bike stopped at 165 miles when normal tank gives 210-220 miles.

Think I might be in error assuming a float switch.. Looking at diagrams I cannot see one . If it is electrical how come after repair low level light illuminated with 6.5 litres remaining? Manual states 4.5. If that is the case should not really matter how far you stick filler cap into the tank!! Appreciate any inject from anyone who has taken a tank apart. Seen some Utube video about sorting strips with Piezo lighter. Way above my pay grade and do not want to invalidate warranty. If it is electrical and sends info to computer and ECU explains why bike stopped at 165 miles when normal tank gives 210-220 miles.

Just email BMW in Germany first and explain the problem, obviously your dealer will then be aware BMW in Germany is aware and probably fix it properly.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/service/ContactUs/customer-complaint-procedure.html

https://www.bmwgroup.com/en/general/contact.html

Still seems to have a level sensor that appears at least part mechanical, if I have selected the correct model ........... https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...8-K51-BMW-R_1200_GS_Adve_0A42_&diagId=16_1126.

A second failure in such a short space of time seems unlikely, unless you were shall we say spared the true story.

Others may know whether a new sensor needs any form of calibration, or is it plug & play?

After some research on other BMW forums I think we have a wheatstone bridge set up. This uses an electric strip/circuit (wheatstone) to measure the difference in temperature between fuel and air. The American RT forum had loads of failures back in 2010. As there is not a huge number of UK 2014+ BMW riders claiming failures I can only assume BMW gripped the problem. The bike goes into the dealer on Friday so will chat to the engineer and ask for a replacement not a fix. Thanks for your diagram.

Just to close the loop..Just back from the dealer.The modern GS bikes have a “floating arm”in the fuel tank for contents indications.Mine had become disconnected and was sitting at the bottom of the tank. Reconnected and now contents work. Job took about 1.5 hrs with fuel tank and pump removal. Sorry about the duff Gen on Wheatstone bridges. That was the system on older bikes. I can guess at the many questions that are looming. I do not have the answers but am assuming a shoddy first repair. How in the name of Christ does a floating arm become disconnected -unless the first “repair” did not connect it properly. Anyway we shall see. At my present success rate i will be back at the dealers just before the bike goes into winter hibernation. Safe riding everyone.

Just to close the loop..Just back from the dealer.The modern GS bikes have a “floating arm”in the fuel tank for contents indications.Mine had become disconnected and was sitting at the bottom of the tank. Reconnected and now contents work. Job took about 1.5 hrs with fuel tank and pump removal. Sorry about the duff Gen on Wheatstone bridges. That was the system on older bikes. I can guess at the many questions that are looming. I do not have the answers but am assuming a shoddy first repair. How in the name of Christ does a floating arm become disconnected -unless the first “repair” did not connect it properly. Anyway we shall see. At my present success rate i will be back at the dealers just before the bike goes into winter hibernation. Safe riding everyone.

Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom