Insuring Johnny Foreigner on my bike

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
A pal of mine is Dutch and he wants to borrow my RT for a couple of weeks in September to have a scoot around our Sceptered Isle.

He's a Dutch National and lives in Holland.

My current eejits Bennets won't touch this for some reason so anyone know any insurance company who will?

Ah insurance. Our favourite subject!
Won’t his own insurance cover him? In the Netherlands it’s you that’s insured, not the bike / car.

Nobody on UKGSer has ever managed to come up with a definitive answer to your question.

I'd suggest that the answer might lie within the pages of Horizons Unlimited's forum, not least as bods often point other bods in the direction of a Dutch insurer / broker (I forget which) who seems to hold the answer.

If you DO find an answer - and if it works legally here in the UK - do let us know.

Have you tried changing the policy to any driver?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

This might be of use.

Attachments

• 78C08B2A-B3C0-4110-8F97-89A014061543.jpg
    78C08B2A-B3C0-4110-8F97-89A014061543.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 301
  • 69C3A320-B467-44C1-BC81-695D99E90AE2.jpg
    69C3A320-B467-44C1-BC81-695D99E90AE2.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 312
I had a similar problem when I hosted American Ural rider Mr. Cob off ADVrider a few years ago.
The plan was for him to ride one of my Urals in conjunction with me on the other one and visit other Urallists around UK and France/Belgium.

It wasn't possible to get a non UK resident insured on a UK registered bike.
So he rode as my monkey instead. :D

A few years back I bought a bike in the UK.

Uk citizen, own property, UK driving licence.

"Hallo, I'd like to insure a BMW 1200GS please'.

'Some standard questions, have you lived in the UK for past 6 months?'

'No, I live in Cyprus'

'We can't insure you, not a UK resident'

'But I'm UK citizen, property owner, UK driving licence'

'Not resident'

Click.

Next two, same thing.

4th one..... 'Have you lived in UK for 6 months'

'Yes'....... Didn't mention it was 30yrs ago.

Germany......... Vehicle is insured, if you have any country's licence recognised in Germany, no problem.

Cyprus.......... Same.

I went to oz o couple of years ago to see family,

My Brother in law put me on his insurance for 2 weeks ,

All his insurance company wanted was my details - driving licence number - and a premium i think it was £50 for two weeks

cant see why our insurance companys make it so difficult --

A nice gesture but in this world of litigation, would it be peace of mind to just let your mate rent a bike from a rental company.
In the event of something going wrong your friendship would soon go tits up.

Did you ever come to a happy landing on this?

Managed to get 3rd Party insurance through Bikesure in the end. Not ideal or cheap but he was happy with the risk and is currently at the Manx TT enjoying riding round the island before heading to Scotland.

No definitely not impossible. They wouldn't insure fully comp though at any price which seems odd but there we go.

Back
Top Bottom