Fuel Strip Calibration?

T12

Reaction score
Is there a way of re-calibrating a fuel strip? Mine over reads consistently by c.40miles. On testing it I ran out of fuel at 206miles a few weeks back. Computer said I had 38miles to run and the fuel warning light was on. I didn't and ran out - no major issue as I had some extra with me in a can.

I presumed it meant the fuel strip was knackered, a known common fault, but have since been told if the fuel strip is knackered I won't get anything. I fill up and it goes to full and the computer gives me a range around the 200 mark. All sounds good but then I can do 60 or so miles and nothing changes. Still says c.200 for range and fuel gauge shows at full. Beyond 100miles the fuel gauge starts to drop but I know now that I will be out around 200 miles.

No fault codes, I asked Studley's to check.

Any wisdom appreciated as I was resigned to just running on the trip! It's a 2009 GS.

Thanks.

Might be broken still. Mine would read full then slowly go to 50% and 80 mile range then I’d run out.

OK - thanks TJ. Sounds familiar.

The fuel strip on my 2010 GSA TC failed after giving false readings for 6 months.

James Sherlocks replaced it last week with a second hand one (£60 including VAT I think) and then recalibrated it. Still on first tank of fuel after the fix, so too early to confirm it's all sorted.

Cheers.

TT

It is broken but it can be calibrated using a gs911. It might give you a bit longer out of it if the calibration works. The main problem is if it shifts calibration again you could be stuck with no fuel leaving this unreliable at best. Use the trip meter even if the calibration works. Replace it but it will fail again. Convert it to float, I think the kit is out now. Don't do anything, save the hassle and money and use the trip full time.

The calibration process requires a dry strip, which normally means removing it from the tank. Given their fragility you could end up with a completely failed strip.

Having lived with a failing strip for several years i would have would have been over the moon with an inaccurate one and no annoying warnings and repeated zapping!

Having lived with a failing strip for several years i would have would have been over the moon with an inaccurate one and no annoying warnings and repeated zapping!

Flashing fuel warning is easy stopped. There has been several threads on it over the years.

Thanks to all - I'll count myself 'lucky' then and crack on!

Cheers.

It’s a daft design when the heater track alone could have done the job. But when did BMW ever choose the simple solution.
The strips fail because the expansion/contraction cycles cause the fine sensor track to fracture. The heavier heater track is fine.
It’s unlikely that removing the strip will cause any damage. However there is no need - just drain the fuel tank. It will then be dry.

Back
Top Bottom