Himalayan? anyone road one

Ok. now got the deflector fitted and provisionally adjusted to direct the wind blast over my head;
it's quite succesful at the moment but, i think i can get it better. It looks really large in the picture
but, it isn't bad at all. i'm going to lower it a bit from that position.
The deflector is by Wunderlich and it's quality kit.

Done the 300 mile service now including the tappets which, were both tight.
Easy enough but yes the rear one was a tad more difficult. Something that concentrates the
mind when doing the valves is the thought of dropping something into the cam/rocker housing
through those large access openings :eek:

Top box fitted which, for 20 quid is decent enough; importantly it's light.

I know what you mean about the possibility of dropping something down the rocker housing!
Did my 300 mile service Monday. Oil changes are nice and easy to do.

My compass went into recal mode the other day with HO CA flashing. Rode round in a figure of 8 as per the manual and it then flashed CA VE ? Tried disconnecting the battery, no joy.
In the end I pointed the bike north then placed a magnet on the dial and it all reset. For the first time it is now actually working and reading correctly :thumb2

And those top boxes are great for the money!

I know what you mean about the possibility of dropping something down the rocker housing!
Did my 300 mile service Monday. Oil changes are nice and easy to do.

My compass went into recal mode the other day with HO CA flashing. Rode round in a figure of 8 as per the manual and it then flashed CA VE ? Tried disconnecting the battery, no joy.
In the end I pointed the bike north then placed a magnet on the dial and it all reset. For the first time it is now actually working and reading correctly :thumb2

And those top boxes are great for the money!

the manual says the compass is accurate to + or - 45 degrees :D

I have seen CAL but not the other letters.

I gather you have re-set the spanner service indicator.

Got 425 miles up now and still loving the thing. :thumb2

The compass is a novelty for sure. I didn't get a spanner come up? I though it would appear at 300 miles and was disappointed it didn't!

I hired one in Teneriffe
Surprised me how good it was...Even 2 up it coped well
Bit harsh with the engine but it rode like a modern bike chassis wise and the suspension was surprisingly good
For 4 grand !
If pour a power jocky forget it ...But if you take it for what it is it's great :thumb2

Attachments

• P1050054.jpg
    P1050054.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 509
  • P1050059.jpg
    P1050059.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 521
  • P1050065.jpg
    P1050065.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 505
  • P1050096.jpg
    P1050096.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 515
  • P1050106.jpg
    P1050106.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 517
Had a bimble on one today...

Sweet gearbox, nice honest bike - around the back roads it was a sweet ride and felt quite capable showing 60-65 on the straight bits. When it got on the faster busy main roads and dual carriageways it seemed out of its depth for this busy rushing around part of the UK.

I liked the relaxed torquey feel of the engine, it has you thinking there’s more ommmph there than what’s avalible when you turn onto that busy dual carriageway.

Although £4200 seems cheap is the real comparison one of the 2nd hand CB500Xs we’ve had on here recently or even Mikeys well sorted GS1100

Dakar-inspired

Has anyone put THIS up on the forum yet?

Attachments

• 003FB6BE-E5BA-40A3-B69A-9266A0090D4B.jpeg
    003FB6BE-E5BA-40A3-B69A-9266A0090D4B.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 781
Has anyone put THIS up on the forum yet?

Definitely an improvement on the headlight even though that looks like an acerbis one from the 80s. Love the principles of Himalayan And I’ll get one sooner or later I expect, I did put an offer on one a couple of days ago but slightly lower than he will except atm .

Running in is now complete on my Himalayan and the engine has lossened up nicely. It even hit 80mph on the flats, and generally revs more freely. It's never going to be about going fast, but I feel it can cope with motorways if need be.
It's now my go to bike for short runs and gentle lanes.

The very strong rumour is that RE are going to put the twin in the Himalayan in the not to distant future.

I would be surprised if they fit a 650 lump into the Himalayan frame as it is designed around the single.
It would need a completely new model to take the 650 and tbh. it would be moving away from the design
concept of the original bike which is, low price, low(ish) weight, small size and useable power with low
complications. I agree it would be interesting to see a 650 but, i don't think it would pull me away from
the present version but, i would take a look.

I saw an 18 plate white one yesterday
Generally in good nick on engine & wheels, but lots of rust breaking out on the frame from poor finishing

I saw an 18 plate white one yesterday
Generally in good nick on engine & wheels, but lots of rust breaking out on the frame from poor finishing

Mine's an 18 plate with 1800 miles on it and still looking good. What you need to remember is that the bike is only £4200 otr
which these days isn't a lot but it's a lot of bike for that. Some home provided tlc is going to be needed but the Himalayan isn't alone in that.

Or from poor upkeep.

Doesn't sound much different from a vastly more expensive BMW. :augie

Probably better from what i have seen and read.

I think "Itchy Boots" is going round the world on one of these - she has a YouTube channel, 10,000km review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsdKwqc1040

Yes, me and the Mrs. have been following her travels for quite a while; she's bloody marvelous and the bike is ideal for her and the trip.

Mine's an 18 plate with 1800 miles on it and still looking good. What you need to remember is that the bike is only £4200 otr
which these days isn't a lot but it's a lot of bike for that. Some home provided tlc is going to be needed but the Himalayan isn't alone in that.

Probably better from what i have seen and read.

Yes, me and the Mrs. have been following her travels for quite a while; she's bloody marvelous and the bike is ideal for her and the trip.

Hmmm. Fits in with the 'small bike' movement that some folk have been doing for years but that has begun to become a little more mainstream of late.

I found it almost painfully slow and, if I was looking for a small capacity adventurer I'd go for the Versys 300 with 15 plus extra gee gees, bit revvy but would give you years of service without being hounded by HGVs if and when you need to travel on bigger roads.

Even the great Andybcole;) has sacked it in favour of a Guzzi:thumb

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KbvhyZkBfxc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Agreed there is a movement to smaller bikes and the Himalayan fits in nicely. As far as the RE performance is concerned
all i can say is that my bike has clocked a sat nav indicated speed of 82mph. which it felt good at tbh. arrow straight
and composed. It will do 65 70 all day and i am never hounded by HGV's as i can get away from them easily. Admitted
that there are overtakes that i would complete easily on the GS that have to be let go on the RE but, i will get past
just up the road a bit. The engine on my bike has definitely freed up and is performing much better than when new
and in 1800 miles hasn't used any oil. The Versys 300 is a very different animal and i can see it's appeal, it's attractive,
it's a Kwacker so it's going to be well engineered (one hopes) but for me it falls down in price with the basic model being
a grand more expensive than the RE, the seat hight at 845mm. is too tall for me; the RE is 800mm., the short stroke
revvy (12Krpm) motor produces more BHP but less torque and all at a much higher rpm. meaning you need to row it
along with the gear lever. The RE has a long stroke motor with more torque produced at much lower rpm making for a
more pleasant and relaxed ride with 30mph in top doable. I think actually as the RE say in their blurb about the Himalayan
it's a bike for all roads or no roads and with the 21" front wheel will tackle rough terrain easier than the Kwacker which many
of the owners are doing with it. Servicing on the RE is simple and cheap as i do it myself and spares are inexpensive; use
dealers and yes, you can be paying a lot but that's common with all makes. The RE comes set up with a rear rack plus
racks up front which are being put to good use by many travellers. For me, the RE is a great basic bike for not a lot of money
which will take you anywhere you want to go on and off roaad and at 80+mpg. keep going. The Kwacker is more of a road bike
i reckon which is to be enjoyed using the gears and high revving engine and that's great if you want that :thumb2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rWPFfZ5ICMg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Agreed there is a movement to smaller bikes and the Himalayan fits in nicely. As far as the RE performance is concerned
all i can say is that my bike has clocked a sat nav indicated speed of 82mph. which it felt good at tbh. arrow straight
and composed. It will do 65 70 all day and i am never hounded by HGV's as i can get away from them easily. Admitted
that there are overtakes that i would complete easily on the GS that have to be let go on the RE but, i will get past
just up the road a bit. The engine on my bike has definitely freed up and is performing much better than when new
and in 1800 miles hasn't used any oil. The Versys 300 is a very different animal and i can see it's appeal, it's attractive,
it's a Kwacker so it's going to be well engineered (one hopes) but for me it falls down in price with the basic model being
a grand more expensive than the RE, the seat hight at 845mm. is too tall for me; the RE is 800mm., the short stroke
revvy (12Krpm) motor produces more BHP but less torque and all at a much higher rpm. meaning you need to row it
along with the gear lever. The RE has a long stroke motor with more torque produced at much lower rpm making for a
more pleasant and relaxed ride with 30mph in top doable. I think actually as the RE say in their blurb about the Himalayan
it's a bike for all roads or no roads and with the 21" front wheel will tackle rough terrain easier than the Kwacker which many
of the owners are doing with it. Servicing on the RE is simple and cheap as i do it myself and spares are inexpensive; use
dealers and yes, you can be paying a lot but that's common with all makes. The RE comes set up with a rear rack plus
racks up front which are being put to good use by many travellers. For me, the RE is a great basic bike for not a lot of money
which will take you anywhere you want to go on and off roaad and at 80+mpg. keep going. The Kwacker is more of a road bike
i reckon which is to be enjoyed using the gears and high revving engine and that's great if you want that :thumb2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rWPFfZ5ICMg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ah they're nice things in their own way I'm glad you're enjoying yours:thumb2

It's just that I spent a lot of my skint years as a younger man travelling extensively on bikes with 20 and a bit gee gees and yes they could do 80mph on a calm day on the flat, even faster downhill or with a tailwind:). Chuck in an incline and/or a headwind and progress was somewhat slower and over the (long long) period of a decent length journey yer average speed was pegged back considerably. Youth gave me the energy to overcome just how knackering that type of, on the very low limit riding was err and is:D

So it midly amuses me when a new generation of riders, instead of saying 'Do you know what, it's a slow fecker but I don't care because I've lost the need for speed/there's nowt else for the price that'll take me down the track less chosen' etc choose to inflate the constant speed capabilities of the bike right in front of folk, like meself, that spent years foolishly touring on small bikes with small bhp and can still vividly remember both the laughs and the drawbacks:)

So. In order to immunise myself against any future impulse purchase, I've set myself a 35 rwhp bottom limit just so I don't end up cursing the day I was born on some long journey, fighting a headwind, going up a hill and watching all that momentum I've recently gained, rapidly ebbing away.........................:thumb

Ah they're nice things in their own way I'm glad you're enjoying yours:thumb2

It's just that I spent a lot of my skint years as a younger man travelling extensively on bikes with 20 and a bit gee gees and yes they could do 80mph on a calm day on the flat, even faster downhill or with a tailwind:). Chuck in an incline and/or a headwind and progress was somewhat slower and over the (long long) period of a decent length journey yer average speed was pegged back considerably. Youth gave me the energy to overcome just how knackering that type of, on the very low limit riding was err and is:D

So it midly amuses me when a new generation of riders, instead of saying 'Do you know what, it's a slow fecker but I don't care because I've lost the need for speed/there's nowt else for the price that'll take me down the track less chosen' etc choose to inflate the constant speed capabilities of the bike right in front of folk, like meself, that spent years foolishly touring on small bikes with small bhp and can still vividly remember both the laughs and the drawbacks:)

So. In order to immunise myself against any future impulse purchase, I've set myself a 35 rwhp bottom limit just so I don't end up cursing the day I was born on some long journey, fighting a headwind, going up a hill and watching all that momentum I've recently gained, rapidly ebbing away.........................:thumb

Fair enough i see what you are saying and yes the prevailing conditions can and will have an effect on a low power bike
but i'll bet if you and i travelled together on give and take roads staying to the limits you would not be waiting for me,
often, perhaps you'll get an overtake in i don't but it'll not be long before it's done. Speed limits are the thing and i stick
to them so the RE is just fine for that kind of motoring. Motorways? Well, yes loaded up and into a headwind it's going to
struggle; i'm ok withthat tbh. and i wouldn't be on the motorway that long as would plan a route that got me off it asap.

Quote:
"So it midly amuses me when a new generation of riders, instead of saying 'Do you know what, it's a slow fecker but I don't care because I've lost the need for speed/there's nowt else for the price that'll take me down the track less chosen' etc choose to inflate the constant speed capabilities of the bike right in front of folk, like meself, that spent years foolishly touring on small bikes with small bhp and can still vividly remember both the laughs and the drawbacks:)"

I don't know if it's meant to be (i would like to think it isn't) but having read the above quote a few times i find it a tad
belittling to class a 71yo who has been riding for 55 years and can well remember what riding low powered bikes is like
"a new generation of rider" so i have decided it's best left unresponded to :rob

I apologise if i have you wrong.

Fair enough i see what you are saying and yes the prevailing conditions can and will have an effect on a low power bike
but i'll bet if you and i travelled together on give and take roads staying to the limits you would not be waiting for me,
often, perhaps you'll get an overtake in i don't but it'll not be long before it's done. Speed limits are the thing and i stick
to them so the RE is just fine for that kind of motoring. Motorways? Well, yes loaded up and into a headwind it's going to
struggle; i'm ok withthat tbh. and i wouldn't be on the motorway that long as would plan a route that got me off it asap.

Quote:
"So it midly amuses me when a new generation of riders, instead of saying 'Do you know what, it's a slow fecker but I don't care because I've lost the need for speed/there's nowt else for the price that'll take me down the track less chosen' etc choose to inflate the constant speed capabilities of the bike right in front of folk, like meself, that spent years foolishly touring on small bikes with small bhp and can still vividly remember both the laughs and the drawbacks:)"

I don't know if it's meant to be (i would like to think it isn't) but having read the above quote a few times i find it a tad
belittling to class a 71yo who has been riding for 55 years and can well remember what riding low powered bikes is like
"a new generation of rider" so i have decided it's best left unresponded to :rob

I apologise if i have you wrong.

Categorically not aimed at you my friend. No need to apologise I just need to get the whole gentle rant out so my apologies for being so scattergun in my approach:)

To be fair in amongst all the 'is my bike good enough with only 130hp' debates it's quite refreshing and I'm probably at fault for setting a rather arbitrary 35hp lower limit:D

No doubt the young un's will heed my warning before heading off down the path of whatever fashion faux pas is current but I doubt it:D

They will however enjoy the journey, just like we did:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom