Himalayan? anyone road one

I’ve ridden bullets in the Himalayas for 10 years or so, have done over 40000 km on them out there. They are fantastic out there as road speeds are slower so you don’t need big bhp . The Himalayan is quite different to the old bullets but basically it’s an off road bullet . I bought a woodsman a few years ago to ride here. It was a lovely old thing but topped out at 65 or so and shaked itself to bits. Try one if you can but it’s only 20 odd Hp which is not great for use here. Out there it’s probably all you need. They are also cramped , seat too short and the tank intrusive to your knees . Buy heh they are 4 grand so 1/4 the price of a new GSA so maybe they’d be money to make it fit. The CRF Ralley is a better bike. Rode a 300cc version in Vietnam and loved it . Don’t suppose this has helped :green gri

Am due to ride one in the Himalaya (where else?) in early September.

Alternative was a Bullet, so what's not to like - I hope!

I'm sure it'll be great there.....perfect, even.

Photos please. :thumb

I own one and have now done 9300 miles. Overall very impressed with it and I'd say it's probably the most 'GS' small capacity adventure bike on the market. Handles bumpy B roads brilliant, competent on the trails and I've racked up a couple of 650 mile days on the motorway. No faults, just a set of dry head bearings the only niggle. It carries its load really well, takes a beating on the trails and is proving cheap to service. It's not a fast machine and can leave you wishing for a more poke when you're in a hurry, but to me it's a genuine exploration/travel bike the like we haven't seen for a while. And at that price it feels a bit too good to be true.

Fantastic to hear an owners experience with some miles under their belt :thumb2

RBW.

I own one and have now done 9300 miles. Overall very impressed with it and I'd say it's probably the most 'GS' small capacity adventure bike on the market. Handles bumpy B roads brilliant, competent on the trails and I've racked up a couple of 650 mile days on the motorway. No faults, just a set of dry head bearings the only niggle. It carries its load really well, takes a beating on the trails and is proving cheap to service. It's not a fast machine and can leave you wishing for a more poke when you're in a hurry, but to me it's a genuine exploration/travel bike the like we haven't seen for a while. And at that price it feels a bit too good to be true.

I was driving next to one in Huddersfield yesterday.

It certainly looked good, it was a proper sized bike, sounded right and with RE branded crash bars and aluminium panniers looked really well finished too.

Certainly worth a test ride.

8600 km on my BS4 in under 4 months, puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, very comfortable, happy out between 40 and 65mph fully loaded, miserly with petrol and fasb sound off the exhaust, my other chicken chaser is a KTM 1290 Super Adv S bought the day before I got the Enfield, over 8000km on this also, it feels like an elephant after coming off the Himalayan, and did I mention offroad, the bike thrives on green lanes and unpaved roads, value for money....11/10 !!!!
Just to mention that the bike is very tight and loosens up well after around 1500km, you cannot compare a new bike to one that is run in...
Charles

Just got one and, i'm loving it.

Attachments

• me with Alex getting the keys.jpg
    me with Alex getting the keys.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 703
MCN this week

513b39650f120a889d3718bf1073219c.jpg
d6f400ad83d21669d2fdfbde8a4f0d4f.jpg
a27a58c7038742c3cc66fcb59e4a7420.jpg
a5ffd415aec19f682fffd60200e832f7.jpg
125d1467a67185cabd6bcb52e15ad546.jpg

Excellent, thank's for posting that as i don't purchase any papers or mags :thumb

some comments;

Tank fill, yes it's an open filler and you can see straight into the tank which means that brimming it is an easy matter
unlike my GS which is difficult to get the same brimmed tank result. Just take care is the thing.

Compass, it was saying "cali" which means it wants you to ride in a figure of eight to calibrate the compass just
like your phone wants to be waved in the same way to calibrate it. The arrow always points north while the centre display shows your heading.

Engine size, yes it's low power but the torque is decent and it produces it at low revs and is really strong in the mid range. As for using their 535
engine, well, that's and old design pushrod engine whilst the 411 motor is a completely new SOHC design, a first for RE.

Brakes, yes the front does need a good squeeze to get any results but it wont embarrass anyone off road which may have been a consideration.
Rear brake is excellent in power and feel; i have no problem with it.

The mode and select buttons, yes they do lack feel or click but that's no different to the trip select button on my GS which is a pain so, just get over it.

Weight, he says 185kg. when it's actually 191kg. ready to rock.

The comments from the owner i agree with completely.

That's it, i'm off out into the Welsh lanes now to test my just fitted heated grips and Gerbing heated jacket controller and, have fun :D

Had a test ride recently and although i wanted to like the Himalayan it was slow and ponderous. Granted i only did about 25mls on it but lack of any grunt and acceleration was a bit worrying especially when some prick in a tranny van decided to tailgate me. Might look again when the 650 twin trail model appears....

Had a test ride recently and although i wanted to like the Himalayan it was slow and ponderous. Granted i only did about 25mls on it but lack of any grunt and acceleration was a bit worrying especially when some prick in a tranny van decided to tailgate me. Might look again when the 650 twin trail model appears....

Difficult to understand how varied, peoples experiences and opinions of the same item can be.

I have just got back from a ride into the Welsh hills above LLangollen taking a little rough road over the
tops (where it was snowing) taking in a slippery river ford and the RE aquitted itself extremely well plus the
heated grips and jacket kept me toasty. On the way back through the lanes even though it's got less than 200 miles up
it picked it's heels up a treat. 60 65 mph. was no effort with an easy lift up to 70 for a short spell; through the corners
it was excellent, no wallowing or weaving; steering very accurately; the Harris designed frame doing it's job very well :thumb2
To be fair you do have to "make it have it" a bit and wind the throttle on but it does respond and i have to say it brings a
smile to my face short shifting between 4th. and 5th. gears through the bends as i listen to the big (ish) single working away beneath me :D

As i said, a very different experience to yours.

Difficult to understand how varied, peoples experiences and opinions of the same item can be.

I have just got back from a ride into the Welsh hills above LLangollen taking a little rough road over the
tops (where it was snowing) taking in a slippery river ford and the RE aquitted itself extremely well plus the
heated grips and jacket kept me toasty. On the way back through the lanes even though it's got less than 200 miles up
it picked it's heels up a treat. 60 65 mph. was no effort with an easy lift up to 70 for a short spell; through the corners
it was excellent, no wallowing or weaving; steering very accurately; the Harris designed frame doing it's job very well :thumb2
To be fair you do have to "make it have it" a bit and wind the throttle on but it does respond and i have to say it brings a
smile to my face short shifting between 4th. and 5th. gears through the bends as i listen to the big (ish) single working away beneath me :D

As i said, a very different experience to yours.

Less is more . I must try one .

Less is more . I must try one .

If you do, don't expect to be riding something like a KTM or a Triumph a BMW etc. as it isn't as powerful or polished as them
but, do let it do what it does well and that is please in a simple back to basics way.
I feel pretty sure you know all that anyway but, i have to say it :D

NB.
The engine unit is a bit noisy but, i have ridden two now and both were /are the same, it's
not a fault, just how they are so, ignore and if you can't ignore, use earplugs. :D

If you do, don't expect to be riding something like a KTM or a Triumph a BMW etc. as it isn't as powerful or polished as them
but, do let it do what it does well and that is please in a simple back to basics way.
I feel pretty sure you know all that anyway but, i have to say it :D

NB.
The engine unit is a bit noisy but, i have ridden two now and both were /are the same, it's
not a fault, just how they are so, ignore and if you can't ignore, use earplugs. :D

What ???

No TFT or hill hold ?

Back
Top Bottom