RiDE guide to Spain and Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wapping

Reaction score
6e35bde3e7b7955eaca242d8a3ad0baa.png

It’ll be in the issue with September 2018 on the cover.

But will it cover what to do if you lose your key on a keyless toilet bike ?????

It’ll give the hapless traveller something to read whilst he waits, I guess.

You two are so funny in such a cruel way!

Arsey, I intend trying your Asturias and Picos areas July 2019 so this guide will help to re-inforce where I should play.
Thanks for your ongoing info., gentlemen.
Who knows, I may even get around to writing a ride report one year - I've got a few still in my head!

p.s. My TB TC GSA has a key so I'll be fine.

You two are so funny in such a cruel way!

Arsey, I intend trying your Asturias and Picos areas July 2019 so this guide will help to re-inforce where I should play.
Thanks for your ongoing info., gentlemen.
Who knows, I may even get around to writing a ride report one year - I've got a few still in my head!

p.s. My TB TC GSA has a key so I'll be fine.

Ok, let me know if you want any route advice /hotel accommodation recommendations etc.

I’m going again in mid September. Currently on the ferry heading home after this trip.

Empty roads , coffee and beer at €1.20 ish, bottle of wine for €5.

It’s just brilliant. Picos is great but I prefer further west in Asturias as almost no brits and the roads are even better .

Ok, let me know if you want any route advice /hotel accommodation recommendations etc.

I’m going again in mid September.

It’s just brilliant. Picos is great but I prefer further west in Asturias as almost no brits and the roads are even better .

Thanks for the offer.
I'm thinking of taking all of July 2019 off so I only have one long haul to get to where I want to ride instead of my usual two.
It will mean I'll miss out on attending the Mugello and Austrian MotoGPs though.
C'est la vie, as they say.

With a month off in July 2019 you could have a great trip down and back. Shame it’s not this year or 2020 as you could take in the Le Mans 24 hour Classic on the way; if that's your thing.

Thanks for the offer.
I'm thinking of taking all of July 2019 off

Do it in Sept, not July.

On the one hand you can pop over and see us (Arsey and me) (Christ knows how many we'll be in 2019; grows every year. 9 or 10 this year, I lose count)

July is busier on the roads, busier in the hotels. Having said that, 50% of the roads we use aren't used by cars as they have swifter routes between destinations. However, the real dangers are white van men and smaller delivery lorries which do use the back roads more in the summer to get to villages in Jul/Aug.

The weather's traditionally better in Sept (Indian summers) but don't quote me because Asturias is...... green for a very good reason.

The ferry crossing is cheaper, especially the one home.

The days are shorter, for sure, but we set off by 10 (latest and depends on the day's schedule - not strict, by any means) every morning and by the time we get home at about 7, when twilight falls, we're bushed.

With a month off in July 2019 you could have a great trip down and back. Shame it’s not this year or 2020 as you could take in the Le Mans 24 hour Classic on the way; if that's your thing.

Sorry, I don't do cars, only bikes.
I've just checked Portsmouth - Santander ferry prices and I can get it cheaper than Newcastle - mainland Europe price! Crazy. Granted it's only a chair and not a berth but I can take it. A couple of large glasses of red wine and I can sleep anywhere!

Whilst were at it,here’s quite a good leaflet/map that I picked up at the Hotel del Oso last week.Should have grabbed more.
It shows many of the good roads and tracks (shown in white) in the Picos.
For example the ride up from Espinama to the top of the Fuente De cable car is arrowed.

6ab25080de2a1a7395953c108042410b.jpg

7baa2d0c3b98fbf0f1d0c6489048ed1b.png

Didn’t quite get to the top but it was bloody brill :

ece2985cad4d502c114e168bca9657de.jpg

Planning on going back and spending more time on these tracks.
Something like the 790 Adv should be perfect !!

Whilst were at it,here’s quite a good leaflet/map that I picked up at the Hotel del Oso last week.Should have grabbed more.
It shows many of the good roads and tracks (shown in white) in the Picos.
For example the ride up from Espinama to the top of the Fuente De cable car is arrowed.

6ab25080de2a1a7395953c108042410b.jpg

7baa2d0c3b98fbf0f1d0c6489048ed1b.png

Didn’t quite get to the top but it was bloody brill :

ece2985cad4d502c114e168bca9657de.jpg

Planning on going back and spending more time on these tracks.
Something like the 790 Adv should be perfect !!

Good looking maps.

Do it in Sept, not July.

On the one hand you can pop over and see us (Arsey and me) (Christ knows how many we'll be in 2019; grows every year. 9 or 10 this year, I lose count)

July is busier on the roads, busier in the hotels. Having said that, 50% of the roads we use aren't used by cars as they have swifter routes between destinations. However, the real dangers are white van men and smaller delivery lorries which do use the back roads more in the summer to get to villages in Jul/Aug.

The weather's traditionally better in Sept (Indian summers) but don't quote me because Asturias is...... green for a very good reason.

The ferry crossing is cheaper, especially the one home.

The days are shorter, for sure, but we set off by 10 (latest and depends on the day's schedule - not strict, by any means) every morning and by the time we get home at about 7, when twilight falls, we're bushed.

Thanks for the invite, it's much appreciated.
Early September my wife and me always head to Misano for the MotoGP so I can't visit then, unfortunately.

"Planning on going back and spending more time on these tracks.
Something like the 790 Adv should be perfect !!"

:JB

But what does this have to do with the ATAS ?
The ATAS with DCT would be better on such trails than the 1290R but the 790 should be better still.
No plan to sell ATAS if that's what you're on about in your usual convoluted way..... :aidan

Three of us are heading that way in early Sept - did you find anywhere else to recommend other than the Cangas Paradores and Hotel del Oso? I think we're currently there and in a place in Cudillero, probably ending up in Bilbao for a last night out in the Pinxos bars. I'll post up our experiences on this sub-forum for others to see.

One of the party has chosen to bring his MV Brutale, so gravelly back roads will be entertaining!

I’m going again in mid September. Currently on the ferry heading home after this trip.

Arsey, you may be able to help me......

I will be gettting that mag and a Michelin map of northern Portugal. My wife and I will be on the mighty 1190Adventure for our annual Spanish bash, going over to Santander in September. Last year we did the Picos and all the way west to A'Coruna, and as you say, the roads are pretty much empty. This year we'll skirt round the Picos as we've done most of the good roads over the years and planning to head down into northern Portugal. Heat is an issue with me so don't want to venture too far south in case it's too hot to ride. I kow there's a cracking road from Chaves to Braganca but a bit clueless about anywhere else.
We're happy to do 250km in a day's ride but would like to stop at places for 2 nights and have a day off the bike every other day. Will be looking for hotels and guest houses (no camping) and not keen on gnarly goat tracks especially with Mrs Ming on the back. The twistier the tarmac, the better really. I think the Duoro Valley is a possibility but just not sure of where to stay and what roads in particular that you would recommend.

We get to Santander on Monday 10th and leave on Wednesday 19th, so we've got 9 nights to plan.

Any help would be wlecome.

But what does this have to do with the ATAS ?
The ATAS with DCT would be better on such trails than the 1290R but the 790 should be better still.
No plan to sell ATAS if that's what you're on about in your usual convoluted way..... :aidan

I'm saying that in a years time, the ATAS will be history, numbnuts :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom