new shock

I fitted Maxton fork internals and rear shock to my Nine T Sport in the summer. Same recommendation here for a 15mm lift at the rear to sharpen the steering. Its transformed the bike both handling and comfort wise, especially on bumpy B roads where I seemed to be out of the seat as much as on it before. Their kit is tailored to your weight etc and service the is exceptional.

Its good to see the positive feedback for The Shock Factory. Part of my business is as the UK distributor, so if there are any questions about fit, quality, custom builds, etc, please message me. Winter is normally a quieter time and we're currently running at 2 days build time.

Single Adjustable - £350 / Double Adjustable - £450 with variable ride height adjuster for +£50. Fixed change in ride height and custom spring at no extra price. Includes 2 year warranty, C spanner & delivery.

https://www.marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk/shock-absorbers

Pretty much Ohlins quality / pretty much Hagon prices

I can't see much about the technical spec on the website, so wondered if you could answer a couple of questions for me...
Is the nitrogen charge separated from the oil by a floating piston, or are these emulsion type shocks?
Do the rebound and compression adjusters work independently of each other?
It's the hydraulic preload adjuster available?

Thanks!
Looking to upgrade my Urban's suspension over the winter

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Regarding lifting the rear ride height,
Has anyone done this on the classic/ regular 9t,
If so what benefits were gained,
The front pre load needed 1 ring extra to get to 40 mm dynamic sag, at 90kg
The fully adjustable rear shock has eliminated the harsh damping,
The downside of a piggyback shock and retaining the carbon cannister is ,
the castle ring and c spanner would be inacessible,
So extra cost for hydraulic pre loader is worth the convenience,

The Shock Factory stuff uses two concentric tubes with a bladder between them that takes up the variation in volume as the piston rod moves in and out, so no need to charge with nitrogen. Because the shock doesn't run at high pressure the seals get an easier time and there's less stiction than you get with a nitrogen charged shock.

The single adjustable varies compression & rebound damping in a fixed 3:1 ratio, but the double adjustable has completely independent adjusters. On the home page of my website there is a link to a video taken at the factory showing a shock under test. You can see as each adjuster is moved only the compression or rebound line moves, the other is completely static confirming the independence of each adjuster.

We have a hydraulic preload adjuster in the prototype stage, but it won't be ready till into the new year and we still can't commit to when. However when its released it will be retrofittable, so you could go for the shock now and put the preload adjuster on when its released. Having said that there is plenty of room around it to swing a C spanner.

Cheers, Mark

My M shocks coming on Tuesday, so I'll report back when I get it fitted. Impressed by the quick service so far.

The Shock Factory stuff uses two concentric tubes with a bladder between them that takes up the variation in volume as the piston rod moves in and out, so no need to charge with nitrogen. Because the shock doesn't run at high pressure the seals get an easier time and there's less stiction than you get with a nitrogen charged shock.

The single adjustable varies compression & rebound damping in a fixed 3:1 ratio, but the double adjustable has completely independent adjusters. On the home page of my website there is a link to a video taken at the factory showing a shock under test. You can see as each adjuster is moved only the compression or rebound line moves, the other is completely static confirming the independence of each adjuster.

We have a hydraulic preload adjuster in the prototype stage, but it won't be ready till into the new year and we still can't commit to when. However when its released it will be retrofittable, so you could go for the shock now and put the preload adjuster on when its released. Having said that there is plenty of room around it to swing a C spanner.

Cheers, Mark
Thanks for the comprehensive reply Mark.
I hadn't considered that they might be a twin tube type of arrangement. I'm guessing the bladder stops any chance of air meeting oil, rather than twin tubes of old that had to be kept vertical and not worked too hard?!
Tempting

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I went with a Wilbers unit that is +30mm over the standard shock with +/- 15mm adjustment. Piece of cake to fit (as long as you have the means to lift the bike up so the rear wheel is hanging) and i'm very pleased with the result. Bike turns quicker and feels the right size now. I always felt it was a little small, i used to be able to sit on it flat footed on the floor but now i'm just slightly unable to which feels about right. Whilst i never really had an issue with the ride quality of the original shock, having fitted the Wilbers unit i can now understand how bad they are.. The Wilbers unit has made a massive difference to ride quality, plus the blue line spring looks:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_3362.jpg
    IMG_3362.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_3363.jpg
    IMG_3363.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 616
I'm guessing the bladder stops any chance of air meeting oil

That's right, we always design them with a top and a bottom but that's to minimise the unsprung weight, the damper would work equally well in any orientation.

Before I got involved with the factory I bought one for my own R9T (urban G/S), and it transformed the bike. Before I was looking out for bumps all the time, afterwards I just enjoyed riding the bike.

Thanks guys, I’ll look a bit more into this as I make room in the garage (or at least a sunny day) I did hear of someone reworking the standard internals on the Urban front forks tho

I fitted Maxton fork internals and rear shock to my Nine T Sport in the summer. Same recommendation here for a 15mm lift at the rear to sharpen the steering. Its transformed the bike both handling and comfort wise, especially on bumpy B roads where I seemed to be out of the seat as much as on it before. Their kit is tailored to your weight etc and service the is exceptional.

Gone the same way with the same experience. Top quality kit and company.

As briefly mentioned earlier, I put on the (slightly) higher Wilber and a Corbin seat. The bike now handles much better and is all day comfortable :thumb

Attachments

• DC000C56-4FC8-4E05-A889-6FA81C5F7196.jpg
    DC000C56-4FC8-4E05-A889-6FA81C5F7196.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 552
  • 9F664E68-A3C9-4935-AB96-F85B4511A91A.jpg
    9F664E68-A3C9-4935-AB96-F85B4511A91A.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 521
I meant the white plastic one on SE Riders post had the Puig one and when I picked up a rock the rear cast arm snapped causing the hugger to drop down and burn on the tyre so wont be replacing that:mad:

My m-Shock is doing a great job so far, about 1000 miles of use and the difference in damping is night and day.

Now splashed the cash on a mudsling, which does only just clear the adjuster.

e53c8b031ff2527f1c50cd38795a8763.jpg

9c921e1aa9195c63bf4384bfc3a2f2c9.jpg

There are some good options out there to sort the harsh rear ride quality,
Ended up with a fully adjustable matris rear shock with hydraulic pre load, M 46 R,
had the spring powder coated ohlins yellow to match the 21 on the tank,
Found the front forks needed 1 ring of extra pre load to get 40 mm rider sag,
Backed the front compression damping off 1 click to compensate,
The compliance and handling are much improved,
As the reservoir is horizontal no clearance issues for the ilmberger rear hugger,
May consider rear ride height lift as its adjustable,
Has anyone done this to a later classic 9t,
as i believe there was a geometry change on later euro 4 bikes,

Back
Top Bottom