SW-Motech stand has damaged my K1300s frame

trucker

Reaction score
I purchased and fitted a SW-Motech centre stand for my K1300s approx two years ago. Whilst giving my bike a thorough clean recently, I noticed that the stand, whilst in its operating position, that the very edge of the 'buffer' (that should be resting flat against the frame) is resting against the frame at an angle rather than lying flat on it. It looks like faulty manufacturing to me, but SW-Motech has is denying all responsibility and is suggesting that the stand is bent!!
I should have gone for the original BMW stand!!!!
Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Motech stand?

After further correspondence today with SW-Motech, they have deemed that the stand has been damaged/bent whilst fitted to the bike and that, apparently,is the end of the matter as far as they are concerned!, This without accepting my offer for them to inspect the stand, where they would see that there is no sign of physical damage to the stand (or bike) They also state (correctly) that the stand is out of warranty, I would argue that a warranty should not apply to a manufacturing defect.
I can state that after 25,000 miles of riding my K1300s, mostly in Europe, it has never been involved in any accident or fallen over.
So much for customer aftercare!!

Surely an out of shape stand with a manufacturing defect would have been spotted during fitting....or when testing it afterwards ? :augie

The stand looks totally fine on the bike with no visible sign of 'damage' or 'bending'.......the problem seems to be the welded 'flat' on the stand that sits against the frame when the stand is down, the flat is not flush against the frame, it seems that the flat has been welded at a slightly wrong angle causing it to dig into the frame (rather than sit flush against it)..... its only when I laid on the ground and looked up at the frame that I noticed the problem.
It seems I'm not allowed to post attachments, otherwise my pics would show the problem.
The pics were sent to Motortech where they arbitrarily decided it was bent/damaged. The pictures absolutely shows no sign of damage !
Its interesting that they ignored my offer to send them the stand for their inspection.

Issue them with a claim in the small claims court for a replacement stand or having the one you bought from them modified so it doesn’t cause any further damage to your bike. If they contest the claim you can prove your point and they will lose.

I've ordered a BMW centre stand, the Motortech stand is destined for the trash!
Motortech are clearly not interested in any form of customer care or afterservice.
I guess that as the K1300s is a discontinued model, Motortech are not concerned about the defect their stand as the demand for it will be minimal.
Thanks for replies.

Whoever fitted the stand should have inspected that the alignment was "true" and "if" there were any contact points at that time !!!

Sorry but Motech are correct at this stage of the game 2 years later!

If you are scrapping the SWmotech stand, I would be happy to try it on my K1200R.

I can't pm you as you don't have sufficient posts.

The pics were sent to Motortech where they arbitrarily decided it was bent/damaged. The pictures absolutely shows no sign of damage !
Its interesting that they ignored my offer to send them the stand for their inspection.

Stands can, and do, get bent without showing any damage.

They bend/distort if the bike is leant over on one side or spun around while in the stand.

As Tarka has pointed out, any misalignment should have been picked up by any competent mechanic when fitting the part.

Two years later i'd be telling any punter trying to tell me the part has a problem to feck right off :D

Two years later i'd be telling any punter trying to tell me the part has a problem to feck right off :D

You sound absolutely perfect as someone that would suit a senior position in SW-Motech's customer relations dept......... Oh!, perhaps you already hold that position?!!!

As previously stated, why would Motech NOT respond to my offer of sending my stand to them (at my expense) for then to examine?

As a note..... the stand carried a 2-year guarantee, therefore, I was only a few months over that.

You sound absolutely perfect as someone that would suit a senior position in SW-Motech's customer relations dept......... Oh!, perhaps you already hold that position?!!!

As previously stated, why would Motech NOT respond to my offer of sending my stand to them (at my expense) for then to examine?

As a note..... the stand carried a 2-year guarantee, therefore, I was only a few months over that.

1. That's funnier than you can know.
2. Perhaps they don't have a spare bike to try it on.
3 So it's out of warranty.

:D

So you think a two-year guarantee really means "two years and a few months"?

If you send them the stand and they say they'll return it to you within ten days, would you consider that ten days to mean "ten days and a few more days"?

Does this not come under the Consumer Rights Act 2015? In which case 2 year warranty may well mean 2 years and whatever else is "reasonable".

The rub is [random google whack on the topic from Which?]:

If a fault develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time you took ownership of it.

In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems across the product range.

Find out more about how to return a faulty item and claim a refund, repair or replacement from a retailer.

You have six years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five years in Scotland.

This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product.

For what it is worth [and in my completely-layman-opinion], two years of use before you noticed a problem would make it difficult to prove reasonableness here.

I am sure a legal scholar or two will be along soon to educate me/us all on the matter...
Good luck

Last edited:

You sound absolutely perfect as someone that would suit a senior position in SW-Motech's customer relations dept.....

You need to find an alternative forum as a platform for your rising frustration. You’ve not found any sympathy or assistance here, nor it seems is any likely to appear.

Just sometimes reading the comments from the ‘Old School’ on here is funnier than reading the Beano, got me chuckling did this one.

What are they expected to examine ? a stand that's bent.

The relevant point being "who bent it"..

If your stand had a manufacturing defect it would show up on all the stands for your model, not just yours.

As a matter of interest i work on a lot of bikes with bent main stands, genuine BMW stands fitted from new, and the problem has nothing to do with any stand manufacturing faults.

Back
Top Bottom