Unused genuine koni dial a rides for sale

Rob Farmer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ive put a pair of unused dial a rides one ebay if anybody is looking for a pair item 142861946745

:beerjug:

I have a pair of 20 year old genuine Koni's around the place somewhere too.
I asked my suspension guy for a price to service / repair them them , but although he does my Ohlins for $90- plus parts he wanted $185- plus parts for each Koni!
Ended up with a pair of fully adjustable piggy back TEC shocks for less than the cost of the rebuild and after a bit twiddling they work at least as well as the Konis ever did.

I have a pair of 20 year old genuine Koni's around the place somewhere too.
I asked my suspension guy for a price to service / repair them them , but although he does my Ohlins for $90- plus parts he wanted $185- plus parts for each Koni!
Ended up with a pair of fully adjustable piggy back TEC shocks for less than the cost of the rebuild and after a bit twiddling they work at least as well as the Konis ever did.

You can buy the repair kits for not much money from Ikon - https://www.ikonsuspension.com.au/shop/7610-series-seal-kit/

Apparently the problem with repairing old Konis is the lock nut and the threads deep in a well at the bottom of the main shaft.
Rust can attack and sieze both and usually the main shaft is shot by the time you have them apart - they usually end up cutting the shaft with an angle grinder and welding a nut to the ends to unscrew them.
Ikon refer to this obliquely with a mention of access to the correct tooling- even new this nut needs a special split socket.
So replacing the shaft and a complete rebuild is priced into the job from the start, in addition to a seal/ bush replacement and a oil change./ whatever.
Some guys claim to have fitted the Ikon kit with no trouble - possibly to later Ikon shocks but if anyone is contemplating a rebuild it is probably worth while checking that you can get them apart before you order the kit - it is not cheap!
Details of the quantity and grade of oil are also hard to find - last thread I saw no one had it and Ikon would not supply it
Didnt notice first time that Mr Farmers are unused, which I imagine would be quite a find and must have a story attached to them-------------.

Fortunately, there are a few guides online that show the rebuild for the 7610 series......I had to do mine on my Norton rotary; the hardest part by a very large margin was releasing the gland nut at the top of the damper body, it is supposed to undo with a pin spanner. I eventually had to file two flats on the gland nut to accept a large conventional spanner and even then it was incredibly tight, to the point I thought I'd never get it undone without breaking something. This part was so awkward I left the second shock alone, I'll worry about that one if and when it ever leaks.

Once open I just followed this process http://www.zimmerframeracing.com/koni_shocks/index.htm this part of the rebuild was simplicity itself, no problem undoing the nut at the bottom of the damper rod or following the parts sequence.

Having put it back together it works just fine; finding the seal kit took a bit of searching and they weren't cheap, but at least Motomecca had them in stock; I really like these shocks......I'd like Mr Farmers ebay set for my airhead, but that bike is already way over budget:blast.

Mick.

Back
Top Bottom