anakee 3 vs metzeler tourance next

Topcat502

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Don't flame me, I did look..
So I have Street Pilot 4 Trail on the girl and I must admit they are a fantastic tyre and looked after me well!! I usually ride 2 up with full luggage, so a fair bit of weight and tbh, the rear end tyre has only lasted about 2 - 3 thousand miles.. However, during my time with these tyres, I had times when I had a wobble on grass etc. (I know these are road tyres) What i'm getting too, as much as I like these tyres, I do a little off road (less than 10%) So what are your opinions on Anakee3's and Metzeler tourance next tyres??? I appreciate this is subjective, but advice is still good from you guys...:thumby:

I found the tourance next too soft and squared off quickly

Avon trailriders on atm and their great

Queue a thousand other opinions and options ...

I found some K60 Scouts at a very good price so gave them a try. I dont really do any off road but hey why not(?)

I'm really happy with them and may well use them again. On loose pea gravel (stuff that gets "trail" tyres in a tizzy) they are almost boring. The front will weave at three figure speeds but my licence wont stand that for long so not an issue for me. There is a feeling of the tyre lagging the steering if you do a hard direction change but you really have to try so again I'm not fussed as that sort of riding usually ends in tears on any tyre.

On mud - well, I can ride them on mud. I can't do that on any other tyre so is handy to have.

Anakee 3 good tyres but noisy howl at speed
Fitted Bridgestone adventure a41 superb tyre rear starts with a meaty 9mm in the centre of the tread and 2mm down after 2300 miles solo euro riding on an lc full loaded varios

my last anakee 3 lasted 10k miles and it wasnt overly squared at the end. i always felt it wasnt very grippy in wet conditions though.
however the avon trailrider i replaced it with feels just as unsure in the wet and dont look like they will last half as well either! i wont be buying them again.

Avon Trailrider's are the best wet weather tyre I have ever used.

Sent from a U11

Anakee 3 are fast tyres, offer lots of grip both on dry and wet tarmac. The front is noisy to be fair but if you use ear plugs you wont hear them, if you don't you should definitely be using ear plugs :D

I found them to be very decent on offroad conditions as well except when you get to the wet stuff (mud) they clog up quite quickly and you end up with a slick tyre. Milage is fairly decent on them too...

I switched to the K60 scout mainly because I do take the good aul girl off the beaten path often so I needed a bit more grip. I'll say that they're equally as noisy and still offer pretty good grip, but the Anakees do have more grip... it's always a compromise. If you'll do 90% road and some dry stuff (gravel, dirt) you can't go wrong with the Anakees :)

A3,s served me well this week-end 2 up fully loaded, 11 passes, including the Kunkelspass that was dry and pretty beaten up craters and stones and gravel, more offroad than I have ever done, but they done well, yes they howl on the motorway home, but so does the wife in the intercom, I think they are good value, cannot comment in the grip in the wet, as I probably do not take them to the limit, but in the rain not had a problem yet, but only hit rain twice, and nothing to crazy.

Bridgestone A40s have been brill for me, my tyre of choice on my ponderously slow 1150adv :green gri

I have just had metzeler tourance next fitted and will be going on a fully loaded tour in the coming month. I will give you my report after my trip..

For what its worth, I had PR4s on my last bike (also a GSA LC) and I have the factory fitted Anakee 3s on the current, similar bike. I find the grip to be be more than satisfactory, road noise not much difference between the two and handling safe and predictable. I haven't used either long enough to comment on longevity but the current Anakees have done 4000 miles and measured at 3mm when serviced 2 weeks ago.

I had thought to fit Roadtec 01s next time but I think I'll be led by the price and have Anakees again if they are significantly cheaper

Well i have just done a 1700 mile round trip with metzler tourance next tyres with about 1000 miles of that being motorway and the rest was the north coast 500 and some sight seeing, so lots of twisty and sometimes loose gravely road surface. And in my opinion they are great no squaring off as of yet and good confidence in the bends. I an compairing these to metzler tourance tyres that i had fitted new as well. Hope this is of some help
Alan

I got 10k miles off my OEM Anakee 3's - well pleased, so I put another set on the GSA WC. Ought them from this very parish and had them fitted... saved me over £100 can't say I notice the noise either, as someone else mentioned, wear ear plugs. :thumby:

I found the tourance next too soft and squared off quickly

Avon trailriders on atm and their great

Queue a thousand other opinions and options ...

If you buy Tourance Next for a 2017 onwards R1200 GS it should be with a B on the tyres just been through all this and having spoken with the Pirelli Team at Burton on Trent the info was very good.I have a new set of Tourance Next going on later this week.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 08.24.47.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 08.24.47.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,915
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 08.17.54.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 08.17.54.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,936
Running a set of Dunlop Trailsmart MAX at the moment, they seem good, very comfortable and grippy in the dry (not bad in the wet either) but felt a bit iffy on "damp" road surface. It has cemented my opinion that the Avon Trailrider is the best all round tyre for these bikes (and it's obviously a personal opinion) I have never used a tyre that was as sure footed and grippy on damp, cold non perfect road surfaces. When it's time to change, probably in the Autumn, I'll be going back to the Avons.

I think they look "right" for the type of bike that it is......without going down the knobbly route (which I did recently with the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR)
831d794ccd302334f849c9287bdf7c1f.jpg

Sent from a U11

Back
Top Bottom