'06 RT whizzy brakes query.

Not with a servo it wont!.

If the servo has become intermittent then it will be an issue as you'll not know when it's going to suddenly kick in (or out). But IMO if its working normally, then keep it until it starts to play up then remove it.

If the servo has become intermittent then it will be an issue as you'll not know when it's going to suddenly kick in (or out). But IMO if its working normally, then keep it until it starts to play up then remove it.

I follow your logic....but my concern is when it fails, I just know it'll be as I'm going down a really steep hill, daughter on board, with all our luggage....and the lights at the bottom will be on red! :eek: I'm not a fan of the slightly abrupt feel to them at low speeds either, it doesn't matter how gently I apply them, they do seem to grab a bit. Might just be me not being used to them though.

Pete

Pete Go out on bike on your own Find a downhill where you can freewheel without accelerating madly

Reach forward and turn off the ignition and pull the clutch in NOW Practice using the brakes

N.B. IF you are not slowing you have two options Turn the ignition back on and servo should go active very quickly !!

N.B. II Just in case it does not ............ You have two big 1/2 litre paint pots slapping up and down in the engine....

Kill switch off and Let the clutch out slowly and you have a brake! change down and you have even more brake

Its all manageable If you know what to expect

the clutch and change down braking was when I was off roading on a modified road ABS bike (No ABS off switch) and ABSII was working well on the muddy surface and was not helping me to stop the bike so I hit the kill switch and used a combination of the clutch lever and changing down gear to lock up the wheel and slide to stop and about half an hour after getting home a new ABS "On/Off road" switch was added :rob

I follow your logic....but my concern is when it fails, I just know it'll be as I'm going down a really steep hill, daughter on board, with all our luggage....and the lights at the bottom will be on red!e me not being used to them though

Pete Go out on bike on your own Find a downhill where you can freewheel without accelerating madly

Reach forward and turn off the ignition and pull the clutch in NOW Practice using the brakes

N.B. IF you are not slowing you have two options Turn the ignition back on and servo should go active very quickly !!

N.B. II Just in case it does not ............ You have two big 1/2 litre paint pots slapping up and down in the engine....

Kill switch off and Let the clutch out slowly and you have a brake! change down and you have even more brake

Its all manageable If you know what to expect

the clutch and change down braking was when I was off roading on a modified road ABS bike (No ABS off switch) and ABSII was working well on the muddy surface and was not helping me to stop the bike so I hit the kill switch and used a combination of the clutch lever and changing down gear to lock up the wheel and slide to stop and about half an hour after getting home a new ABS "On/Off road" switch was added :rob

I tried that today Jay. Bit of an eye-opener, but, as you say, if you know what to expect, it would be survivable! :eek: It has to go though! :thumb2

Pete

Deleting the servo won’t make the brakes any better that they are with the servo not working. Only difference is it now always needs more muscle.

You can test it by disconnecting an ABS sensor. The brake failure light will scream death & destruction ahead but it’s the same as having the servo throw a wobbly.

With the ignition off, and servo inoperative, the brakes felt nothing like my non-assisted 1200ST's did - not a nice feeling at all. :eek:

Entirely academic now anyway as I'm hanging up my helmet and boots for the forseeable future, having fallen out of love with all things two-wheeled. The RT's going....complete with its fully-working servo! :D

Pete

Deleting the servo won’t make the brakes any better that they are with the servo not working. Only difference is it now always needs more muscle.

You can test it by disconnecting an ABS sensor. The brake failure light will scream death & destruction ahead but it’s the same as having the servo throw a wobbly.

Not true. JJH

Back
Top Bottom