GS1100 1998 running on one cylinder

dunnie

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My 98 1100 has been laid up for three years, was parked up and running time when last used. I am currently putting her back on the road and have found that she's not running on the left hand cylinder (as your sat on the bike).
Ive started some elimination work and its not the plugs, swapped them over and still running on one cylinder. Im going to swap the HT leads over to see if this sheds any light, I am wondering if there could be a fuel issue where its been laid up, although it has been started regularly. The plug on the left hand side was black and sooty and the right seemed light brown. It does run on one pot but obviously need to bottom this out.
I'm guessing it could be the coil if not related to the leads? it is odd that was running fine when put away, it does have new fuel in it now too.

Any ideas would be greatly received.:nenau:bow:thumby::Motomartin

kindest regards.

Did you change the battery?
This could be the reason.

EGp6mEYvqNgjB_4kOLcMYJO3IdQhDplHBImUn19utPQn8it-plQiq7azhWDDyul_OK5QjIsyT9SnApDBIsAM20KUHuiT0A8D5AMmoD5tP9D8IOESN2tsBz0t_qrQE59gyiU8qQ0b_TpWjOgO4BlrroIdRkJDsDcSvdSrZz8u7pGl4Z2g2mhJYsmE26DJ39M4SmYB3cJMr_PyXG45n0_BftdWuayebUwHfbPYNqX3gzJrJd6xB6ySakehMq_tVh86EWSSatHQihCX6V6rtz3tXXLFcSoTbJIakm7GASdM5_pZNoUIqPFb1MsSlxbIqUFO5Wugn7MUsu_TGumGsGLzWFstkVuTM2wNMYLjbaNEKXyFhwhNgro2INydCfMxf9cJ_Ip8peXlEzQf3YPTbYnHIplPOVfbois2uoF4WCWy0nPmsap7EgYexOI0qokA5cDlkuxXjIQEk1o4FN51wFWv-TNs2x056pthhb0mpnresYkmzgnP88Yq-WRDYS8bk41gNdingm7max85kokMwOzn2maHRBYtSDvjHfLEvSvNhAkFbenwU-UFh5sm2o8kW9LO4pJePOaQu4Gp6scyaDZm-dij1Z9A4ioOIeyFORY-4Z_pj7NNaNiQglrQme6kvpY5sum-GouAhk4NH8l0lRyMbh6x28m7oWSv=w864-h497-no

The cable thing just above is a good pointer "If" you changed the battery or had the tank off at all

"but" be warned it may have pulled out of the splitter ( I think yours has a splitter box) and if it is not as above check the throttle quadrants are returning all the way back to their stops If one is not? Then that cable is out of place "somewhere"

When you "flick" the throttle (ignition off) you should hear a decent "clack" sound from each throttle body when the cables are seated correctly if you are not sure put a couple of fingertips on the throttle body and you should feel a solid click when the quadrant hits the stop

The injector is the small cylindrical thing that is fixed to the top of the throttle body pointing forward

You can (if you can manage it ) get the bike going and plug and unplug the connector a couple of times sometimes that shocks it back to life :D

and of course did the bad cylinder swap sides when you swapped the plugs over?? You can tell easily by using WD40 and spraying it at the cylinder headers If the wd vaporises then the cylinder is working if it doesn't its not

P.S. This is about the only acceptable use for WD40 on your Motorcycle :aidan

The cable thing just above is a good pointer "If" you changed the battery or had the tank off at all

"but" be warned it may have pulled out of the splitter ( I think yours has a splitter box) and if it is not as above check the throttle quadrants are returning all the way back to their stops If one is not? Then that cable is out of place "somewhere"

When you "flick" the throttle (ignition off) you should hear a decent "clack" sound from each throttle body when the cables are seated correctly if you are not sure put a couple of fingertips on the throttle body and you should feel a solid click when the quadrant hits the stop

The injector is the small cylindrical thing that is fixed to the top of the throttle body pointing forward

You can (if you can manage it ) get the bike going and plug and unplug the connector a couple of times sometimes that shocks it back to life :D

and of course did the bad cylinder swap sides when you swapped the plugs over?? You can tell easily by using WD40 and spraying it at the cylinder headers If the wd vaporises then the cylinder is working if it doesn't its not

P.S. This is about the only acceptable use for WD40 on your Motorcycle :aidan

Sorry for the late replies, work always gets in the way putting any progress on hold. With that said I have narrowed it down to the left hand injector not allowing fuel to pass. I have a good spark on both cylinders and she still running on the right hand side only. The pipes remaining cold on the left hand side. I will make an effort to check the cable seating under the tank over the weekend, I have looked at the throttle bodies and cabling is seated as intended.

Ive found a video on youtube showing an american chap cleaning injectors on an 1100 RT so will follow what he suggests as far as possible. Interestingly I have also seen some info online about 1100s being fitted with 1200 injectors which has apparently transformed ride ability, less snatchy and smoother fuel delivery etc etc, has anyone else heard of this?

Thanks and kindest regards.....dunnie

I can recommend www.mrinjectoruk.co.uk. He can test your injectors and professionally clean them. I have used him previously and he did a good job!Servicing your injectors is much cheaper than buying the 1200 ones.

I take it that you have removed the connector from the injector and checked that both of the contacts are visible and locked in the connector.

There have been occasions where the contact was not locked in the connector and over time has moved in the connector breaking contact with the injector.

A visual inspection will confirm the contacts are correctly seated and a gentle pull on the wire will confirm the contacts are locked.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom