System 7 Helmet or stick to my Arai RX-7GP

Hannibal

Reaction score
My Arai RX-& GP helmet is about eight years old but hasn't been worn in almost six years. It was only worn two weekends in five and always wore a skull cap to keep the grease from my shaved head out of the lining. Never, ever been dropped and lives in its dust bag in the wardrobe.

I'm picking up a GS A in just over three weeks and wondering whether to get a new helmet at the same time. I'm aware of the five year 'rule of thumb' for changing helmets but it seems a crying waste to change mine because of it's age.

I do like the look of the System 7. Anyone have one and care to share some thoughts?

I have previously owned a system 6 and would not buy another BMW helmet! Just bought shoei neotec 2 with the SRL comms.
System 6 always had problems with water running down the inside of the visor, even had the helmet replaced due to this but the replacement wasn't much better.
The flip front always required a lot of effort to ensure it was closed and latched correctly, sometimes only one side latched properly. The latching mechanism always felt flimsy and not good quality. The vents worked well, but the chin vent cover was easy to know off when opening visor and I nearly lost the cover once, found it on road by turning around. It only clipped on so was easy to come off.

Just my view!

Ian

Plenty of life left in the Arai. They reckon on 8yrs and since you have hardly used it - keep using it.

(Unless of course - you simply want a new helmet)

RX7GP is a brilliant lid.

Yes, how can a helmet that has not been used much need replacement after 5 or so years , surely this manufactures lifespan of the helmet must be if the helmet is in constant use

Yes, how can a helmet that has not been used much need replacement after 5 or so years , surely this manufactures lifespan of the helmet must be if the helmet is in constant use

My view entirely however, I've read it in various places on t'internet that the ubiquitous 'they' say that the shell and lining deteriorates over time. Personally, I think that's bullshit. Sure, if a helmet is used every day and the outside is exposed to UV rays and the elements and the inside is subject to sweat, grease and, dare I say, hair products then it might make sense. Basic high school science tells us everything has a half-life but I can't imagine an unworn helmet deteriorating that much.

Plenty of life left in the Arai. They reckon on 8yrs and since you have hardly used it - keep using it.

(Unless of course - you simply want a new helmet)

RX7GP is a brilliant lid.

It is. I have a white one with an iridium visor and I love it. Think I'll stick with it.

With the expense of the bike, luggage, sat nav plus a new helmet and touring jacket for her, the last thing I need is to drop and extra £500 or so on a new lid. I'm actually toying whether to replace my 20 year old Dainese Air Killer jacket with something a bit more modern but it's such an awesome jacket, which was way ahead of it's time, that I think I'll stick with that too.

Stick to the Arai, Im giving up on flip helmets and going back to an older trusty Arai Quantum ST which is also a few years old as the current flips seem to be pretty crap. I've had a System 3 and a System 5 helmet and both were brilliant quality products. The system 6 didnt really fit me well, so went to a Schuberth C3 Pro (which I hate - floppy visor, comms system puts pressure on the back of my neck on a sports bike).

Super disappointed in the C3 Pro, and seen variable feedback on the C4. Last decent flip I had was the earlier BMW ones but they have now moved away from Schuberth manufacturing and it's effectively a '1st generation' of this new design/manufacturer and have seen plenty of disappointing reviews for the System 7 (I tried one but didnt like the fit).

Surely on a GS(A), you should be sporting an Arai Tour X4 for the local Tesco's trips :) .

RBW.

Hi

The met police policy was to replace every three years, or subject to approval, whenever dropped or contaminated by someone else’s bodily fluid.

The main cause of deterioration is allegedly sunlight.

Stick to the Arai, Im giving up on flip helmets and going back to an older trusty Arai Quantum ST which is also a few years old as the current flips seem to be pretty crap. I've had a System 3 and a System 5 helmet and both were brilliant quality products. The system 6 didnt really fit me well, so went to a Schuberth C3 Pro (which I hate - floppy visor, comms system puts pressure on the back of my neck on a sports bike).

Super disappointed in the C3 Pro, and seen variable feedback on the C4. Last decent flip I had was the earlier BMW ones but they have now moved away from Schuberth manufacturing and it's effectively a '1st generation' of this new design/manufacturer and have seen plenty of disappointing reviews for the System 7 (I tried one but didnt like the fit).

Surely on a GS(A), you should be sporting an Arai Tour X4 for the local Tesco's trips :) .

RBW.

Mmmm, not keen on helmets with those visors. Whether it’s true or not, I’ve heard the visor resonates and can be quite annoying.

Hi

The met police policy was to replace every three years, or subject to approval, whenever dropped or contaminated by someone else’s bodily fluid.

The main cause of deterioration is allegedly sunlight.

Interesting. I’ve heard that the main cause of deterioration is that the lining breaks down for various reasons, gets a bit slack and subsequently fails to provide the required protection in the event of an off.

Anyway, mine’s in its helmet bag in the top of a wardrobe and has been for almost six years so UV won’t be an issue.

No - I only quoted your post, so that you knew it was info for you.

The visors are brilliant at that price - kosher Arai.

My trusty old System 6 lid is now literally falling apart, I looked at the System 7 but the outer shell is huge. I look like big 'ed from the BSB Podium with one on, alomst comedy.

Gonna visit helmet city in Chichester and try C3Pro/C4/Neotec2 and see which fits best.

I would say keep using your Arai if it has been away from UV for years.

Try riding with the Arai and see how you get on as I found that I didn't have great visibility on my GS with the RX7GP because it's designed to be used hunched over a sports bike rather than sitting up.

If you're sticking with the Arai, I'd also suggest having a look at the Arai Pro Shade System which I found worked well for me on my R1, but again is angled more for sports bike use.

Ended up with a new Schuberth C4, a nice lid and at £299 it was £250 cheaper than the Neotec 2.

Tried a few flip front lids, Shoei and Touratech and went back to Arai. I'd never buy another flip TBH

Back
Top Bottom