insurance in USA

shay

Reaction score
saw a post from bilko on his unchained fb page that they had to hire bikes this year as they couldn't get insurance on their own bikes.

Does anyone know what has caused this change?

Dairyland Insurance was the only company that offered insurance to visitors and they have withdrawn the product because of................................. European General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) :nenau

I’m on Bilco’s trip and have so far ridden my bike from Aberdeen to Heathrow and then back again.

Having to Rent means the original itinerary is binned but he’s pulled out all the stops to save something out of the wreck they’ve caused. Maybe we should call it the 2018 Phoenix tour!

Flying next Thursday :D:D:D

USA insurance

This sounds like a disaster, we were with Chris last year and was hoping to do the TAT in 2019. Is this situation likely to change, if not Ill have to have a rethink on my plans.

Hope you have a great trip even if its on a hired bike!.

Kind regards

Andy9

I think we had an expectation that a solution would have been found by now but it hasn’t. I can’t believe that there won’t be a company coming forward to fill the gap but watch that space.

US insurance

Lets hope so, perhaps Chris will have some more info when you see him.

Regards Andy9

Dairyland Insurance was the only company that offered insurance to visitors and they have withdrawn the product because of................................. European General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) :nenau

That's a shame. Will you be encumbered with European GDPR when you're out of the EU next year?

From what I have been told by those in the know, there will be a company appearing soon who will offer insurance.

As soon as I know, I'll let everyone know but it's been a gigantic pain in the ass.

From what I have been told by those in the know, there will be a company appearing soon who will offer insurance.

As soon as I know, I'll let everyone know but it's been a gigantic pain in the ass.

My heart goes out to you guys who have already got arrangements in place, this is politics at it's worst, it's just total bullshit.

James

A touch melodramatic.

Somehow I don't think you would feel that way if your trip of a lifetime was in tatters - it's happened to me on a three week Shark diving trip to Guadeloupe when my wife ended up in hospital the night we were supposed to be flying out and the trip got scuppered - a year of preparation and looking forward went down the tubes in hours. So to have your bike trip wrecked by political BS is just soulless.

James

Explain please, ‘political BS’?

As to missing holidays due to illness? You sound bitter towards your wife. I missed my December 2017 holiday, as I ended up in Barnet A&E the night before departure, from whence I was admitted for three days. It happens, the world still turns on its axis and it’s why people buy Travel insurance.

I have no idea who the bods have tried to contact for US / Canadian Motor insurance for visitors riding UK registered motorcycles, now that Dairlyland have pulled out of the market. Here’s some they could try:

https://www.motorcycleexpress.com/insurance/temporary-usa-motorcycle-insurance.aspx

https://thuminsurance.com

Not if you were one of the guys on here who has lost over £3000 because his bike couldn't be shipped, due to no insurance available and a holiday down the the tubes

It’s not at all clear in any of this when the bods first started to look for their insurance cover for their trip. Nor is it all clear who, if anyone, they have contacted as an alternative. Reading between the lines, it appears that it was late in the piece, based I guess on the assumption that Dairyland would still be in the market for providing the cover. They pull out and bingo.

Nodbody seems to have lost their holiday, they are now renting bikes.

Insurance, as you know very well, is a key component of riding any vehicle in any well developed country. Let’s hope that they didn’t leave it until D-Day minus 20 before they set about it, on the assumption that it will all be alright as it always had been.

Nobody seems to have lost their holiday, they are now renting bikes.

Monies paid out already, luckily their bike wasn't already shipped - it was a close call, nearly on the plane

The ones who have gone, are having a holiday......................what about the others who didn't go?

Hope they have holiday cancellation insurance

Monies paid out already, luckily their bike wasn't already shipped - it was a close call, nearly on the plane

The ones who have gone, are having a holiday......................what about the others who didn't go?

And that cancelling the holiday because of the unavailability of vehicle insurance is covered.

Which maybe begs the question as to whom they were relying on to arrange the local insurance on their behalf, not completed up to the moment of shipment?

As to Travel insurance responding to a cancellation of a holiday due to an inability to purchase local Motor insurance... can you point them in the direction of where it’s covered, please?

From another thread it seems that the tour organiser reported this problem in early June 2018, so in the last short strokes before the get go.

In the same post, there is / was ‘plenty of alternative insurers’ providing third party insurance, which is all you need. It’s all you’d probably get from the cross-border booths we read about when travelling outside of the EU, which bods seem quite happy with.

Lacking the first party (own damage) bit is no good reason to bail out of a trip that’s been a year or so in the making / eager anticipation.

If they left it until shipping date to arrange insurance then no sympathy

Back
Top Bottom