Tomorrow is a landmark day in my life

My clock resets if it doesn't start first time. I'm putting it down to a battery issue. I will replace mine in the Autumn ready for the Winter, it's not really too much a problem now.

The bike’s got an almost new battery so I knew it wasn’t that and just typing 1150 GS clock not working into Google gave me the answer. When I made my post about it not working I was sunning myself outside a pub on the way home and not interested enough to try and find out why it didn’t work :D

Another small job done since the MotoGP finished. I had a spare cradle and power lead for my Garmin 390 so I rooted around, found a choice of RAM mounts and cracked on. I’d been expecting to use one of the handlebar clamp bolts but the satnav assured the instruments so back to the carthorse technology of using what resembles an exhaust clamp and it’s ok.

I used my favourite shortcut and fitted a piggy back fuse holder over the 4a fuse that serves the brake lights and a few other bits and pieces then tucked the box under the back of the tank. Job done in well under an hour. I’m blaming the satnav for the fact that it’s not switching off with the ignition even though it’s a switched live but it’s a bit old now and as long as it turns on and off I’m not going to worry about it.

Next thing is to try and work out why the pillion seat isn’t latching properly but it might be a case of me not hitting it hard enough :D

There’ll be other jobs to do as they crop up but while everything can be done by using existing things that I’ve been too tight to throw away or sell cheap I’m not going to complain.

Edit: the pillion seat latches easily with the riders perch in the highest position. I don’t know why I’d even put it in the lower position because I’m 6’ tall so it’d be too low.

I've had my 2002 single spark non-abs R1150GS since 2004. I was 43 when I bought it to do a tour of Norway. Got 65,000 miles on it now and I have changed the paralever bearings at 22k. Don't think they were torqued up properly from the factory and that has been it apart from routine maintenance (easy) which includes changing the throttle cables 36K and the alternator belt at the same time. I've had several other bikes during this time but if I just want to get somewhere particularly in foul weather the GS is the bike I chose. Also rode hex head and twin cam gs's and didn't like them as much as the 1150. Haven't tried an LC yet. :D

Welcome to 1150 ownership - best bike in the world in my experienced opinion.

I'm not too far away from you - if you ever need help or spares, drop me a line.

Enjoy:thumb

I’ve just got one again too :beerjug:

Spa on the 1150 then? I’ll come :D

About time you brought it down to the HISS in Aragon this September! BTW this will be the very last HISS!

Simon

PS and bring that Andy with you! :)

What are the dates Simon?
I’m pencilled in to start an 8 week job at the end of September so I’m looking at sneaking a couple of weeks away at the beginning of September.

That could all change because Mrs B is scheduled to have surgery on the 15th August and I’m not committing myself until after her follow up consultation two weeks after the op.

What are the dates Simon?
I’m pencilled in to start an 8 week job at the end of September so I’m looking at sneaking a couple of weeks away at the beginning of September.

That could all change because Mrs B is scheduled to have surgery on the 15th August and I’m not committing myself until after her follow up consultation two weeks after the op.

September 17th -21st. There are 1,400 kms of trails, many of which could have been made for your 1150 plus and ever expanding series of amazing road rides - it's the last ever HISS so a bit of a party ...

Regs

Simon

Have you got a limit on numbers or can I leave it right up to the last moment? The issue I’ve got is that it’ll be the end of August when she goes to see the consultant again then if he decides he doesn’t need to carry out further surgery she’s got a window of opportunity to go away for a spot of sunshine before starting radiotherapy. There’s no way she’s going to go on an extended motorbike trip so we could fly off to a beach somewhere, fly home, jump on one of my bikes and have my annual Billy no mates tour which could easily take in Aragon if the dates were right.

The alternative is to do the bike trip before the beach trip which in many ways makes more sense because I’ll get better weather on the bike and there’s something very miserable about doing 500 mile days on a bike when you’ve got sunburn after loafing on a beach for a week before setting off :blast

Have you got a limit on numbers or can I leave it right up to the last moment? The issue I’ve got is that it’ll be the end of August when she goes to see the consultant again then if he decides he doesn’t need to carry out further surgery she’s got a window of opportunity to go away for a spot of sunshine before starting radiotherapy. There’s no way she’s going to go on an extended motorbike trip so we could fly off to a beach somewhere, fly home, jump on one of my bikes and have my annual Billy no mates tour which could easily take in Aragon if the dates were right.

The alternative is to do the bike trip before the beach trip which in many ways makes more sense because I’ll get better weather on the bike and there’s something very miserable about doing 500 mile days on a bike when you’ve got sunburn after loafing on a beach for a week before setting off :blast

Only just spotted this thread Andy; :blast ; all the best for your Mrs; hope everthing goes well. Mikey boy sorted my clutch for me on the 1100 a few months ago; made a cracking job of it; the catch on my pillion seat was reluctent to fasten because it was broken where it bolts to the frame; mike says it's a known weak spot; could be worth a check .:beerjug:

Answers: no, there isn't a limit and yes, you can decide to come at the last minute.

There's more but that will have to wait while I go back to bed, having gotten up at 03.00 thinking it was 06.00 - that's what you get for having a 'healthy' Saturday night! :) - PM on its way to you in the morning Andy :)

ZZZZZ

Crap breaks you say?
Does not sound right.
Still on original hoses?
If so change them today. Do not hesitate. No not pass Go. Do not collect £200

It’s had the ABS removed so I’d assume that required new brake lines?

Apart from that it may be that I’m expecting too much from an 18 year old bike and the lack of front end dive is making me think they’re worse than they actually are but I’ll change the pads and see what happens.

Not necesarily had new hoses.
Checked mine earlier in the week - they were original.
I could feel a slight bulge in the hose when I applied the brake and worse still there was a small weep of fluid.
New Goodridge hoses now in place!

I’ll have a look and if they seem to be original I’ll measure them up and see about getting braided replacements. I’ve got the box of ABS parts and hoses removed from the bike so the easy way is to stop assuming and check what’s been removed.

The removal of the ABS shouldn't have a detrimental effect at all really so long as the brake pads and discs are in good condition and are well bled.

The lack of dive under braking is because of the telelever front end and rather than being something to worry about is a trait of the GS and a very good thing when you get used to it.

I’ve checked the brake lines and they’re Goodridge braided hoses front and rear. They look pretty new with minimal corrosion on the fittings. Not brand spanking new but certainly not original.

I’ll try new pads, check and clean the pistons and take it from there. It’s probably a mental thing because I’m so used to bikes diving under the brakes and the GS not having that trait could be making me think it’s not slowing down as fast as it actually is.

Back
Top Bottom