Tomorrow is a landmark day in my life

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m picking up my first GS BMW but it’s ok, I’m not going down the WC route, I’ve followed the one true path and bought a 2000 plate 1150 GS :D

I did say I’d never buy one but after getting rid of my KTM 1190 it took me a very short time to realise that I still have a need for something I can ride on broken roads and not particularly worry about damaging it, I’ve got a Super Duke GT for being stupid on and a collection of other bikes totally unsuitable for taking on a 4k mile trip to Eastern Europe so there it is.

I still feel slightly spoiled by my actions but I’ll get over it by the time I’ve ridden the 80 miles home and I’m bound to have loads of stupid questions to ask over the coming weeks so I need to be nice about the 1150 :D

Feel free to rip me apart but it’s not my first BMW though the others have been purely road bikes and I’ve never had an oilhead.

Well done, and enjoy!
I’m picking up my first GS BMW but it’s ok, I’m not going down the WC route, I’ve followed the one true path and bought a 2000 plate 1150 GS :D

I did say I’d never buy one but after getting rid of my KTM 1190 it took me a very short time to realise that I still have a need for something I can ride on broken roads and not particularly worry about damaging it, I’ve got a Super Duke GT for being stupid on and a collection of other bikes totally unsuitable for taking on a 4k mile trip to Eastern Europe so there it is.

I still feel slightly spoiled by my actions but I’ll get over it by the time I’ve ridden the 80 miles home and I’m bound to have loads of stupid questions to ask over the coming weeks so I need to be nice about the 1150 :D

Feel free to rip me apart but it’s not my first BMW though the others have been purely road bikes and I’ve never had an oilhead.

Enjoy your cheap (but good) motorcycle. Stick a decent set of shocks on it and you'll be right.

I’m kind of hoping that with 40k miles on the clock I shouldn’t need new shocks but if I do then ok, it’s always money well spent.

Oh dear, what have you done :rolleyes:

Give it a little time and they get under your skin :thumb

A very sensible purchase...

...for a man of your age...

You’d have one if your feet would touch the floor.
You may have a point...

Though I did have a 2003 R1200R (which is for all practical on-road purposes an R1150GS for short-arses) and really didn't get on with it.

Which is why I chopped it in for the Hayabusa.

Tempted to try the factory lowered R1200GSA but I know I can't justify that sort of spend on something that, in all honesty, will cover fewer miles than my e-bike

I’ve just got one again too :beerjug:

Spa on the 1150 then? I’ll come :D

There’s a slim chance I’ll be at Spa in a few weeks and it it happens I’ll go and get a lap in at Gedinne because it’s on the way if I take a small detour.

I’ve done laps there on every bike I’ve taken to the area for a number of years and I see no reason to change 😀

First WTF? moment has arrived. You can’t seriously expect me to believe that the clock is supposed to reset to zero every time you turn the ignition off?

Apart from that all is well in the World of GS ownership, it’s comfortable, cruises at 50mph in top in traffic without any juddering and soaks up riding on nasty broken road surfaces with added cats eyes when filtering after the traffic has near enough ground to a halt.

I don’t know why they fitted ABS to the bike though because the brakes are crap though different pads often cures that.

I feel even more soiled than before because I actually like it and that suggests that being 59 really is old.

I considered a GS at the start of the year to replace my 990 Adventure, but as I was still 49 then (I'm 50 now) I thought I was still too young for one. 1190 Adventure was bought...

D.

I considered a GS at the start of the year to replace my 990 Adventure, but as I was still 49 then (I'm 50 now) I thought I was still too young for one. 1190 Adventure was bought...

D.

You’ve got years left to tread the old man path so enjoy the 1190 path while you can :D

I've had my 2000 R1150GS for 10 years on Wednesday just gone (the 11th) and I've loved every minute of it; I was 44 at the time. Within a very short time of getting it 10 years ago I wished I'd had one 10 years prior to that!
The clock shouldn't reset and could be a sign that the battery is on the way out or not charging properly. With the engine running put a volt meter across the battery terminals, you should get 14.5 volts if memory serves me right. If you are then the battery is dying. If you get more or less then it's time to check the alternator belt is not too loose and that the alternator is working OK.

D.

You will gain the added benefit of becoming unbelievably smug every time a thread pops up started by a WC owner moaning about spokes, brakes, corrosion, or a host of other issues. That additional facility is entirely free:cool:

Is it yellow? If so, is it my old one? W42 PEU? Or darsy's?

WRT the clock. This could be the harness being too tight where it goes over the head stock. Eventually the insulation wears through giving random electrical faults depending on which wire is snagged. Fix is to cut away the cable ties to give some slack and see if you can spot a squashed or nicked wire to bodge with tape.

Brakes: really benefit from a bi-annual fluid change and Ferodo pads worked well.

Problem solved. Change fuse #3 (15A) and all of a sudden the clock works as it should and still displays the time when the ignition is switched off. It’s also made the fuel gauge show something resembling what I’d call an accurate figure after 80 miles.

No 10 page thread required, no fear of imminent death, no corrosion caused by the blown fuse, so yes Harry, I do feel unbelievably smug now :D

it’s also Silver so obviously faster than a yellow one :thumb2

My clock resets if it doesn't start first time. I'm putting it down to a battery issue. I will replace mine in the Autumn ready for the Winter, it's not really too much a problem now.

Back
Top Bottom