Tomorrow is a landmark day in my life

Hi Andy, good choice of bike to just use and not worry about it, I'm sure this'll be the kiss of death but have had mine since 2001 when I bought it new, next year it gets the keys to the shed! Interesting that the ABS has been removed as the first type (before servo brakes) didn't really go wrong. Hope you get to do many miles and enjoy the old bus.:thumb2 Cheers:beerjug:John B4

I've had my 2002 single spark non-abs R1150GS since 2004. I was 43 when I bought it to do a tour of Norway. Got 65,000 miles on it now and I have changed the paralever bearings at 22k. Don't think they were torqued up properly from the factory and that has been it apart from routine maintenance (easy) which includes changing the throttle cables 36K and the alternator belt at the same time. I've had several other bikes during this time but if I just want to get somewhere particularly in foul weather the GS is the bike I chose. Also rode hex head and twin cam gs's and didn't like them as much as the 1150. Haven't tried an LC yet. :D

Tried a 2017 R1200LC exclusive for a couple of hours last week as part of my get rid of four bikes and have one nice one plan. Just sold a z1000sx. Thought I’d try the LC these are my thoughts. I’m 5’9” and for me the air handling round the rider is much better than my r1150gs though I have sorted the buffeting and noise with a tall screen and tobinators. The engine has plenty of grunt and fuels well. However, on the motorway section of the run the engine is spinning faster and more vibes were going to my hands compared to the 1150. The handling on twisty roads was a bit ponderous again compared to the 1150. Obviously due to the wider tyres and steering damper. Why does a telelever need a steering damper?? This in sharp contrast to the hex head and twin cam 1200s thar I rode which I thought felt a bit flighty. I hated the ESA suspension. Wallowed a bit on relatively smooth roads then I hit a series of sharp bumps and could feel it tightening up and rising at the rear. Throwing it side to side though a series of s bends seemed to confuse it too as it softened and tightend under weight transfer and felt remote. (My r1150gs has Ohlins) Did not like the thin hard bar grips either they seemed to dig into my hands after a while. I did like the standard seat as well no complaints after a couple of hours. So in conclusion I was not overwhelmed. I’d like to try a conventionally sprung one! Never say never and all that but my old 1150 felt more agile fun when I rode it home. Now for the KTMs!:)

Hey Andy, the missus is more important than the bike at the moment, we have had similar to deal with over the last couple of years so make sure that you spoil the lady rotten :D.

Brakes, they tend to rise rather than dive, just get used to it, definitely superior bikes though :thumb2

Hey Andy, the missus is more important than the bike at the moment, we have had similar to deal with over the last couple of years so make sure that you spoil the lady rotten :D.

Brakes, they tend to rise rather than dive, just get used to it, definitely superior bikes though :thumb2

You’re 100% right about where my priorities should lie and 3 days after her second bout of surgery she’s doing ok :thumb2

She did get a bit stupid yesterday after deciding she could drive and then at about 6pm she decided that cycling 3 miles to the pub was a good idea. Well actually it wasn’t a good idea but at least she knows now :blast

Andy, if you want to have a go on mine to compare brakes just let me know.

I'm 10 mins from Mikeyboy's workshop.

Andy, if you want to have a go on mine to compare brakes just let me know.

I'm 10 mins from Mikeyboy's workshop.

I’ll probably take you up on that at some point in the not too distant future.

I need to have a chat with a Mikeyboy about him giving the GS a bit of an expert look over and service it at the same time.

I’ll probably take you up on that at some point in the not too distant future.

I need to have a chat with a Mikeyboy about him giving the GS a bit of an expert look over and service it at the same time.

It may be worth digging out Mike's build thread of my bike. It's here somewhere.

Had mine since 2004, bought it with 996 miles showing. just about to hit 97,000 miles. i detest this phrase...... but, it may be a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom