BMW R1200 GSA Rallye

I'm a little paranoid about this now so keep finding myself checking the spokes listening for that Ting ting.
Its all very well dealers changing wheels but it begs the question whether owners should also be getting instruction as to how to check the tension of the spokes on their bikes. I have no idea what the correct ting ting sound is supposed to be or how to generate the sound or how often to do it for that matter. BMW have to be very confident that the replacement wheels are going to be problem free in the long term if all they're going to do is send owners on their way with new wheels and no instruction how to check them

Its all very well dealers changing wheels but it begs the question whether owners should also be getting instruction as to how to check the tension of the spokes on their bikes. I have no idea what the correct ting ting sound is supposed to be or how to generate the sound or how often to do it for that matter. BMW have to be very confident that the replacement wheels are going to be problem free in the long term if all they're going to do is send owners on their way with new wheels and no instruction how to check them

I’m fairly confident that I know when they are wrong now., the manual says check them after riding off road, for me it’s going to be a weekly check even on road especially as this is the second replacement set

My ting is now tonk...... tonk is not good - especially when you can move them by hand....... Dealer advised "do not ride" - BMW Assist collecting tomorrow - 980 miles 8 weeks old...

Utterly, utterly appalling.

(and of course the muppets that can't see that the ongoing rear brake calliper fiasco, has actually nothing to do with a failing calliper, but everything to do with a rear wheel that is flexing with fucked spokes and then hitting said calliper ... )

Utterly, utterly appalling.

(and of course the muppets that can't see that the ongoing rear brake calliper fiasco, has actually nothing to do with a failing calliper, but everything to do with a rear wheel that is flexing with fucked spokes and then hitting said calliper ... )

I will have to agree.

I find it incredible that this problem is stil an issue. As a reference, for some reason AFIK this is a none issue in the Nordic countries. After all, how hard can it be...

It seems like the problem is that a batch of wheels have had lubrication added to the grub screws, thus the grub screws have not been properly secured and undo them selves.

All dealers have been informed a good while back about this, and it will take two minutes during pre-delivery to check if the grub screws are loose or properly fastened (the prescribed Locktight makes them stick fairly well, so a loose screw should be easy to identify).

ha ha my dealer said the spoked wheels are stronger, ha ha not with shit spokes they aren't.

Would never have spoked wheels, they look shit for a start.

I will have to agree.

It seems like the problem is that a batch of wheels have had lubrication added to the grub screws, thus the grub screws have not been properly secured and undo them selves.

I didn't know about that, and that makes sense. I can see how BM could outsource and there be a factory cock up where grub screws are lightly greased and not thread locked .... :thumb2

I didn't know about that, and that makes sense. I can see how BM could outsource and there be a factory cock up where grub screws are lightly greased and not thread locked .... :thumb2

Couldn't have been done at the factory as they don't bother to 'lightly grease' paralever bearings !!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom