BMW R1200 GSA Rallye

Hi,

New to the forum but heres my latest experience.

Picked up brand new BMW R1200 GSA Rallye chuffed to bits, also own triple black why 2 bikes long story, got a good deal.
Planned trip to Norway been 2 years previous, loved it went to Lofoten Islands.
Mileage pre trip 550 miles, first service done.
On our way, 10 days in 2000 miles all good.
Packing bike for return leg, knock the back wheel with my foot by accident feels loose, closer inspection every spoke on the rear wheel is completely loose, and i mean loose, you could turn the nipple at the top with your fingers, so v loose.
Trauma begins, 10.30 ring BMW assistance, put through to England call centre, details taken and told a call back International Assistance within half an hour.
An hour later no call back, ring AA European assistance backup option, very helpful offers to look into what was happening for me.
Ring Uk assistance again, the lady becomes very rude and patronising, gets put on hold 30 minutes later, yes on hold, back to UK to be told ring back in 10 minutes very busy.
After 3 hours finally an answer some on will be in contact in next 2 hours.
I have to be on a ferry 4hrs away, not a chance.
I wont go into all the details, but had to re book 2 ferries and a hotel, paid 250 pounds to get wheel trued and tightened.
The guy at the Motorrad garage said that he had 2 bikes the previous week with roughly same mileage and the same problem, and said this may become a warranty problem, i would think a huge safety problem.
So loose spokes has cost me rebooking 2 ferries and hotels 450 pounds and 250 for garage, and a 650 mile day ride to catch up on trip
Bike has 3500 miles on it.
Any thoughts

Without support of video evidence, I refuse to believe in anything that you’ve written about.

Sorry pall! If you not happy with the bike take it back. It might as well be Friday 16:55 bike. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry mate if you don't believe me I could show you the bill if you like, i only put the post on to inform
Without support of video evidence, I refuse to believe in anything that you’ve written about.

Sorry pall! If you not happy with the bike take it back. It might as well be Friday 16:55 bike. Just saying.

Sent from my Land Rover Explore using Tapatalk

Sorry mate if you don't believe me I could show you the bill if you like, i only put the post on to inform

My TB GSA hasn’t been without its share of problems, mainly corrosion to final drive (replaced under warranty) both wheels have been affected by salt and are tarnished (couldn’t claim under warranty, not sure about that and why), used nano coat from new, £300 down the drain, would not do it again. Fork recall been done too. But after covering 11k miles in all weather, trips two up and fully loaded, I am yet to have a single spoke to become loose.

My theory is if knoblies used (not saying you are) in the road for extensive period of time, the vibration what possibly can cause spokes to vibrate loose. In my theory look at me, I am proper “ADVENTURE RIDER” with knoblies on, that probably cause most wheel failures while actually only using the tyre for less than 5% of journeys off-road.

Hi,

I have 2 bikes, a triple black that I ride all year, I live in Yorkshire I travel over high roads everyday, the triple has knobblies on, it is smothered in acf50, I've done 14,000 miles on that one apart from the stanchion recall not a problem. It was something I didn't expect on the Rallye.
My TB GSA hasn’t been without its share of problems, mainly corrosion to final drive (replaced under warranty) both wheels have been affected by salt and are tarnished (couldn’t claim under warranty, not sure about that and why), used nano coat from new, £300 down the drain, would not do it again. Fork recall been done too. But after covering 11k miles in all weather, trips two up and fully loaded, I am yet to have a single spoke to become loose.

My theory is if knoblies used (not saying you are) in the road for extensive period of time, the vibration what possibly can cause spokes to vibrate loose. In my theory look at me, I am proper “ADVENTURE RIDER” with knoblies on, that probably cause most wheel failures while actually only using the tyre for less than 5% of journeys off-road.

My mate picked his 2018 Rallye up at the end of May. His rear wheel was replaced under warranty with 700 miles on. I picked mine up on the same day, my rear wheel was replaced under warranty last week with 3000 miles on. Both had Anakee 3 tyres on from the factory. I don't think its a tyre issue.

I wouldn't pay £300 to buy my nan a coat.

Just to put another spin on it spoke to the dealer I've been going to for the last 10 year's and they have said, they replace wheel, as soon as back in UK, and any costs incurred will be payed, but does that give me confidence with a new wheel, I guess I will check my spokes for a ting, ting, rather than ting, tong.
Either way there is an issue, as with all bikes and forums it generates conversation.
It’s not all it’s cracked up to be.....

Very please I've read this thread.

Rally GSA registered 28 March 2018. 5718 miles and over 6 very loose spokes in the rear wheel.

Just checked up and I've owned 10GSes in the past going right back to my 1100s. Never a single loose spoke on any of them till now.

I covered 64k on my trusty 1150!

Telephone call to the dealer tomorrow, me thinks!

Mike

Hi Mike,
Your the reason I put my experience on the forum.
Cheers

Very please I've read this thread.

Rally GSA registered 28 March 2018. 5718 miles and over 6 very loose spokes in the rear wheel.

Just checked up and I've owned 10GSes in the past going right back to my 1100s. Never a single loose spoke on any of them till now.

I covered 64k on my trusty 1150!

Telephone call to the dealer tomorrow, me thinks!

Mike

Okay I'll bite.

How does one check for loose spokes?
Mine looks and sounds okay. I have never ever had any problems with any spoked wheels on any bikes I had. I never ever had to check them.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Okay I'll bite.
Mine looks and sounds okay..

Se post #36

Listening to this might help while doing the job :thumb

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Nebe1zuEtbc?start=37" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ok I'll bite back,
It was only by accident that I noticed that they were lose but after accidentally kick the wheel with my boot, and then thinking Jesus that wheel is loose, I then feel the spoke and I could literally hold the spoke in my finger tips and roll it. I then checked the next and the next every one was loose.
Okay I'll bite.

Mine looks and sounds okay. I have never ever had any problems with any spoked wheels on any bikes I had. I never ever had to check them.

Okay I'll bite.

This should help you get the idea of how to do the ting tong. :beerjug:

Okay I'll bite.

In my case very simple......I just pulled and pushed.

2 or 3 spokes are so loose that the 'connector' in the hub could be seen moving.

No way am I going to ride this bike. Either the dealer or BMW will have to collect.

Sort have lost faith and am considering looking for an alternative even though I loved the bike until 3.15 this afternoon when I discovered he loose spokes.

No such problems on my Yam S10 after 30k!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom