BMW R1200 GSA Rallye

Me and my buddy bought new R1200GS adv in March, just back from a 3000 mile European tour and both rear wheels have loose spokes, mine a lot worse than his, his was tightened but mine apparently couldn't be so I got a new wheel of a stock bike, I filed a complaint with bmw customer services a couple of weeks ago and I'm still waiting to hear anything back

Hi,
Having returned from my holidays, just an update on my dealers response to my recent experience.
The original wheel which was repaired by dealer in Norway, was checked by my dealer and has done another 1000 miles is good and all spokes are ting,ting.
As new wheels are on back order I am on back order, I go on hols again in 7 weeks to the dolomites, if the wheel is not in by then I have been assured that I can have s wheel off a showroom bike.
Also anything that I was out of pocket will be refunded, and next service is free.
Hopefully my mishap on holiday has made people check there spokes, I did love the ting ting tong quote.

Sent from my Land Rover Explore using Tapatalk

Made me check mine.

I suspect we are using the same, excellent dealer and they are filing a warranty claim for a new wheel. I must go and speak to them as I am off to Greece on the bile in about 7 weeks

Many thanks

Mike

.... I am off to Greece on the bile in about 7 weeks

Is that like Stow on the Wold but a bit more down market ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi,

New to the forum but heres my latest experience.

Picked up brand new BMW R1200 GSA Rallye chuffed to bits, also own triple black why 2 bikes long story, got a good deal.
Planned trip to Norway been 2 years previous, loved it went to Lofoten Islands.
Mileage pre trip 550 miles, first service done.
On our way, 10 days in 2000 miles all good.
Packing bike for return leg, knock the back wheel with my foot by accident feels loose, closer inspection every spoke on the rear wheel is completely loose, and i mean loose, you could turn the nipple at the top with your fingers, so v loose.
Trauma begins, 10.30 ring BMW assistance, put through to England call centre, details taken and told a call back International Assistance within half an hour.
An hour later no call back, ring AA European assistance backup option, very helpful offers to look into what was happening for me.
Ring Uk assistance again, the lady becomes very rude and patronising, gets put on hold 30 minutes later, yes on hold, back to UK to be told ring back in 10 minutes very busy.
After 3 hours finally an answer some on will be in contact in next 2 hours.
I have to be on a ferry 4hrs away, not a chance.
I wont go into all the details, but had to re book 2 ferries and a hotel, paid 250 pounds to get wheel trued and tightened.
The guy at the Motorrad garage said that he had 2 bikes the previous week with roughly same mileage and the same problem, and said this may become a warranty problem, i would think a huge safety problem.
So loose spokes has cost me rebooking 2 ferries and hotels 450 pounds and 250 for garage, and a 650 mile day ride to catch up on trip
Bike has 3500 miles on it.
Any thoughts

This won't be the most helpful comment and I apologize in advance....

Why didn't you just get a torx and tweak all the spokes - sort when you were back home? Simple job. A few checks on tension along the way, a mate behind you to check occasionally the wheel isn't wildly out of true.

Don't get me wrong....it's very poor form to send a wheel out with loose anything, but I think you've created your own issues re: ferries and long ride.

Edit: Just off to check my spokes :blast

Easy answer change to a competent dealer

Yup it would be easy if I had another competent dealer within easy riding distance but the nearest other dealer, N Oxford, is over an hour's ride away which is a pain on a working day

You are all going to love this.

48 hours, and 123 miles on from leaving the dealer with new wheels. I rode the bike this morning, just a short run out for breakfast and back. Just thinking about putting it away, I thought I would do a proper check on all the spokes in both wheels. Apart from all the different pitches of 'ting' and tong', one spoke in the front wheel is a 'thunk'. I am awaiting a call back from Chandlers in Brighton...

Chris

Yup it would be easy if I had another competent dealer within easy riding distance but the nearest other dealer, N Oxford, is over an hour's ride away which is a pain on a working day

I have a dealer 45 minutes and 30 miles away but I like many others travel 80 odd miles and 90 minutes in the other direction because the local one is a disgrace and should have lost its Motorrad franchise many years ago.

In my case they have lost £45,000 worth of sales and all the relevant servicing in the last 7 years

I have a dealer 45 minutes and 30 miles away but I like many others travel 80 odd miles and 90 minutes in the other direction because the local one is a disgrace and should have lost its Motorrad franchise many years ago.

In my case they have lost £45,000 worth of sales and all the relevant servicing in the last 7 years

£45K you say....I am assuming that is the BMW R1200GSA TE Triple black Akro Touratech version....panniers and Sat nav extra of course.

£45K you say....I am assuming that is the BMW R1200GSA TE Triple black Akro Touratech version....panniers and Sat nav extra of course.

Nope it is the £13,000 gsa tc with panniers and a few extras , the £15,600 GSA WC TE with panniers and the £15,500 GSA WC Basic last year with £100 of extras since fitted and the relevant 600, 6000 and 12,000 mile services which when you count the total take it to well over £45,000 of business

My GSA was trucked off to Bahnstormer yesterday afternoon and to be fair they have reacted quickly. Late morning they rang me to confirm that they had found several loose spokes in the rear wheel and BMW have authorised a replacement. Unfortunately its going to take 2-3 weeks to get a new wheel and Bahnstormer have no loan bikes available until Sept. I kicked up a fuss about this and I await their further call

My GSA was trucked off to Bahnstormer yesterday afternoon and to be fair they have reacted quickly. Late morning they rang me to confirm that they had found several loose spokes in the rear wheel and BMW have authorised a replacement. Unfortunately its going to take 2-3 weeks to get a new wheel and Bahnstormer have no loan bikes available until Sept. I kicked up a fuss about this and I await their further call

Alton or Maidenhead?

So they did actually call you back and then arranged to have your bike collected

Incompetent to competent in the same afternoon :comfort

You do know that under the BMW Assist programme you are entitled to replacement transportation (car) for the period your bike is in for repair?

The thought of any additional costs, such as vehicle hire, being added to the warranty claim is normally sufficient for BMW to come up with any replacement parts far sooner than is normally quoted :augie

I take it Bahnstormer Maidenhead supplied your new bike?

My Rallye goes in Monday to Coopers in Sunderland, although the wheel is still on order i will be getting some sort of transport (hopefully 2 wheels)

You do know that under the BMW Assist programme you are entitled to replacement transportation (car) for the period your bike is in for repair?

A lot of folk don’t know that, it would seem

Indeed they don't Rich

I had a nice 3 Series M Sport Diesel supplied via Enterprise the last time my GSA had a puncture

Very handy it was too as we were off down to Cornwall that Bank Holiday weekend :D

But why would you want a car in bike riding season, if it was icy cold, OK, but in summer, I would be going bonkers..........correction I am bonkers so it does not count.........:D

At least Motorrad only the dealer I use will provide you with a loan bike if there are any problems with yours , when the last one was in for some warranty work it was easier to drop it off and they gave me a F800GT to take home and come back the following day .

Back
Top Bottom