BMW R1200 GSA Rallye

julesh1966

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum but heres my latest experience.

Picked up brand new BMW R1200 GSA Rallye chuffed to bits, also own triple black why 2 bikes long story, got a good deal.
Planned trip to Norway been 2 years previous, loved it went to Lofoten Islands.
Mileage pre trip 550 miles, first service done.
On our way, 10 days in 2000 miles all good.
Packing bike for return leg, knock the back wheel with my foot by accident feels loose, closer inspection every spoke on the rear wheel is completely loose, and i mean loose, you could turn the nipple at the top with your fingers, so v loose.
Trauma begins, 10.30 ring BMW assistance, put through to England call centre, details taken and told a call back International Assistance within half an hour.
An hour later no call back, ring AA European assistance backup option, very helpful offers to look into what was happening for me.
Ring Uk assistance again, the lady becomes very rude and patronising, gets put on hold 30 minutes later, yes on hold, back to UK to be told ring back in 10 minutes very busy.
After 3 hours finally an answer some on will be in contact in next 2 hours.
I have to be on a ferry 4hrs away, not a chance.
I wont go into all the details, but had to re book 2 ferries and a hotel, paid 250 pounds to get wheel trued and tightened.
The guy at the Motorrad garage said that he had 2 bikes the previous week with roughly same mileage and the same problem, and said this may become a warranty problem, i would think a huge safety problem.
So loose spokes has cost me rebooking 2 ferries and hotels 450 pounds and 250 for garage, and a 650 mile day ride to catch up on trip
Bike has 3500 miles on it.
Any thoughts

Compo

I wouldn't have a 2018 GSA given to me in a raffle
Original Behr spoked wheels are infinitely superior

I took my March 2018 Rallye into my nearest Motorrad dealer - not where I bought it - for it's 6000 mile service this week. About half an hour later I got a call telling me that every rear wheel spoke is loose, along with lots in the front wheel. When I got back to the dealers, they showed me the problem - rear rim wobbles all over the place. Then they dropped the bombshell. Rear wheels are on back order until September. I am still waiting to hear what will happen, but I have a foreign holiday planned in about 10 days time and they made noises to the effect that they might take a wheel from a showroom bike for me if BMW cannot come up with one.

Pretty disappointing that the wheel maker missed this issue at final inspection, so did the BMW factory, and the PDI which was at BMW import centre rather than the supplying dealer. The supplying dealer also missed it at the 600 mile inspection service, so I am very glad to have taken it somewhere else this time. I am bloody glad it didn't fail on me - I keep thinking about the track day I did at Thruxton, and the week I then spent ragging round The Pyrenees, both of which put the wheel under some pressure.

I am currently on a dealer loan bike, which is OK, but not mine. I cannot take it abroad, so I am assuming something will be arranged this week...

Chris

I took my March 2018 Rallye into my nearest Motorrad dealer - not where I bought it - for it's 6000 mile service this week. About half an hour later I got a call telling me that every rear wheel spoke is loose, along with lots in the front wheel. When I got back to the dealers, they showed me the problem - rear rim wobbles all over the place. Then they dropped the bombshell. Rear wheels are on back order until September. I am still waiting to hear what will happen, but I have a foreign holiday planned in about 10 days time and they made noises to the effect that they might take a wheel from a showroom bike for me if BMW cannot come up with one.

Pretty disappointing that the wheel maker missed this issue at final inspection, so did the BMW factory, and the PDI which was at BMW import centre rather than the supplying dealer. The supplying dealer also missed it at the 600 mile inspection service, so I am very glad to have taken it somewhere else this time. I am bloody glad it didn't fail on me - I keep thinking about the track day I did at Thruxton, and the week I then spent ragging round The Pyrenees, both of which put the wheel under some pressure.

I am currently on a dealer loan bike, which is OK, but not mine. I cannot take it abroad, so I am assuming something will be arranged this week...

Chris

That is a shocking story

No ,Does anyone know bet they are not built in Germany

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A faint whiff of superiority and schadenfreude about your comments. Not much help to anyone:rolleyes:
Alan R

True though
Why you continue to buy such products for £18k is a mystery
Better off with a mint airhead GS for half that
You only have yourself to question if you keep buying products of this quality

Perhaps that recent rear wheel collapse posted elsewhere on here is linked!!

I’d better check mine!

Perhaps an urgent recal is required before some gets hurt.
If BMW are aware, what are they doing about it?

It’s obviously not an isolated case.

Had my wheels replaced at 800 miles under warranty a couple of months ago. Now at 3500 miles and concerned with some of the spokes on the replacement wheels.
Going to the dealer next Wednesday to have the ESA checked out as that keeps showing a error so will get them checked at the same time.
Replacement Wheels were available next day a short time ago and the current lead time may indicate the number of complaints and replacements they are having to contend with. BMW obviously have a problem with them and I’m frankly surprised that they are still selling them and there has been no recall.

Been keeping an eye on the spokes on my 2018 model and although not loose they do not give a nice reassuring ping when tapped (more like a dull thunk) unlike the ones did on my 2011 gsa and my previous 2014 gsa and every other bike with spokjed wheels I've owned .
If it turns into an issue I think I may be pushing for a set of replacement alloys from a GS as it never goes off road

Bloody hell, what are BMW playing at?

Bloody hell, what are BMW playing at?

They have ( bmw accountants) got greedy and BMW quality control have taken thier eye off the ball,or dont give a toss!
After owning nearly 30 different Bm,s since the 70,s I am nervous about owning another new BMW.
Will the new 1250,s be any better.

Thankfully no one has been injured by loose spokes yet,have they?

Just thinking.
BMW put a stop on SOME of the ADV deliveries late March because the SOS function was throwing a error.

Well if they are happy to put a stop on sales just because you get a error on the screen yet they are still selling bikes with spoked wheel issues it says something about their priorities as a business. I really hope that sort this out BEFORE someone gets hurt.

Spokes

After reading this and having just covered 2300 miles in the last 10 days, ebtered the garage to check the spokes on my GSA Rallye, tight as drum:D:D Just like 99% of the other new BMW I expect:green gri:clap

Any thoughts

Sorry if this comes across in any way as criticism. Those spokes didn’t get loose overnight. Perhaps the learning point is check your bike before or after you ride it.

Nope, I still come across as a patronising twat, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Without pictures, I am beginning to smell something fishy.

Is this a true story? If yes, what's the small claims number and the legal reports?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom