Vario's and camping

steele01

Reaction score
Hey everyone as a few have probably seen on the hunt for the 800gs now :D working out some details while I'm waiting to find the right one.

For those of you using vario's what tent set up etc are you using for camping across the panniers an seat or one that fits in ? Only ever used alloy ones before but they intrigue me a lil

Thanks in advance

Tom

Pack poles seperately and Bobs yer uncle! They can strap anywhere then and the tent inside if you wish.

I use a vango Omega 350. Substantially bigger than a 250 version for a remarkably similar packed size.
It’s got a huge vestibule (porch types thingy) so that you can keep all your bike gear seperately from the sleeping bit, great when sodden. Great for 2 people (tents never ever fit the number of people they say) or 1 in comfort

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/tents/2013-omega-350.html

Pretty decent build quality and probabaly can be picked up at a reasonable price £140 ish and they come up on here occasionally, so worth posting a wanted ad.

Cheers mate never put a tent on a bike before so gonna a be a first :) quite like the look of those ones that fit the bike in the porch know the 800 is pretty tall though

Hows everyone find the vario's

I used the varios on a 1200 with a lone rider tent that the bike goes in the porch. Fitted across the pillion seat riding on the top of dry bags on the top of both panniers Did 2500 miles and the tent was a god send, laughed my head off every night in thunderstorms as mates bike got drenched and mine was happy as. Plenty of room for bike and chubby 6 footer on a camp bed. We also took all our cooking stuff and enough food for ten days, no issues with panniers. I fitted hoops to the boxes by drilling through them so that I could attach a dry bag to the top of each box with rok straps. Also it’s a good idea to get your hands on the inner bags which make life easier.

Dry bags- Lomo. A Scottish company - you won’t get better value or quality for the money

Been thinking about soft luggage to :) gonna have a nosey at a few of thos setup's

Myself and OH toured on GS1200 with Varios. Tent and mattress etc in 44L drybag strapped lengthways on top of one pannier, sleeping bags on top of the other pannier. You can strap it in such a way so you can still open pannier with a little lift of the load on top. Takes a bit of time and practice to get the best tie down method.

What capacity are your yellow coloured panniers ?

Tricky to determine the capacity to proportions with the bike.

I think you can get more in, just don't turn down the material so much ;)

They call it extra tall opening :D

Dimensions:

Length: 13” / 33cmWidth: 7” / 18cmHeight: 13” / 33cm, adjustable about 3” more.

Capacity:

19 liters / 1160 cu in each, 38 liters / 2320 cu in for the pairThe extra tall opening can adjust to add 2 or more liters per bag

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180814-210851.jpg
    Screenshot_20180814-210851.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 249

Back
Top Bottom