ESA Mountain setting

Howard J

Who?
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone use the mountain settings for road use? Was having a play around today and the small mountain on normal setting seemed to be well planted on the road. (Bike has WESA)

I'm also interested in this. It must up the preloaded, but does it soften compression and rebound to allow for a more off road biased environment?
Can this be got round by putting it on the higher level and going to the hard setting?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Why not just ride it and see?

I used it on the road and liked it. The snag for me is leg length - simply cannot reach the floor when its on tall mountains position. If the bike had a rapid ride height adjustment usable on the road, I would regularly ride it high and soft.

The spring preload is backed right off and damping goes to minimum. Even on roads where we would normally use stiffer springs and dampers the bike handled surprisingly well. It's excellent over rough roads as the wheels can move more easily without unsettling the bike. With the front suspension movement being vertical there is none of the corkscrewing that "normal" forks will cause when running too soft

Yes, I did try it and it felt really smooth, put it on the small mountain, then had the choice of soft, normal or hard, the normal setting seemed just right in a straight line, still need to see how it corners though?

Yes, I did try it and it felt really smooth, put it on the small mountain, then had the choice of soft, normal or hard, the normal setting seemed just right in a straight line, still need to see how it corners though?

Not quite as good as "normal" but still very good and still good enough to leave other behind. If you fit normal GS shocks you'll really miss the ESA adjustability and the rough ride gets annoying.

Back
Top Bottom