Lap top wont boot

AdrianS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My old trusty Acer lap top wont start. When I turn it on I get the Acer logo and then a black screen with a cursor at the top left hand corner.
It just stays like that. If I press any of the keys I get a loud beep. Ive tried turning off and rebooting but the same thing happens. Also I can press F2 and get a boot up screen but haven't a clue what to do with it!
If the pc is shagged, is there any way I can get access to the files saved on it. I do back up regularly but there are 1 or 2 things I would like to save.

Cheers

Sounds like it can't find a boot disk?
Has it got a dvd drive you could make a boot disk.?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Does it have a windows backup partition or a windows DVD with the device?
Try continually pressing the DEL or F2 key as it boots see if the bios comes up.

This is indicative of a faulty hard drive or a corrupt boot sector. If you can boot into Windows recovery, all may not be lost.

D.

If you can’t get it working, keep the hard drive.
You can buy a caddy (cheap) on eBay with a usb connector.
Once you get your new computer sorted, you can plug the old drive in and copy across your old files.

I fo want another laptop ebay has a discount on today for certain sites and Amazon has its yearly sale on till tomorrow 12 noon

Pressing the F2 key does bring up the bios. Just don't know where to go from there!

Couldn't access safe mode when booting

I think it has a windows partition but don't know how to access it

Right from there check the hard drive is visable if your not sure post an image

Does the boot screen also say something along the lines of " To access recovery partition press [X]"?

No mention of anything to access recovery partition.
On the first screen it does list " Hitachi HDD" but cannot do anything with those words when high lighted.

Get into the BISO and see if the hard drive was in there. If yes, then make a bootable Windows disk and repair the computer in safe mode

If you can’t get it working, keep the hard drive.
You can buy a caddy (cheap) on eBay with a usb connector.
Once you get your new computer sorted, you can plug the old drive in and copy across your old files.

This is an answer. The caddy with usb lead will allow you to connect your drive to your mates computer and if it comes up in the drive list it's probably a boot sector corruption so run the check disc and repair option which should repair the boot sector rendering it bootable again. Whilest at it you can drag off all the files you want. If it doesn't show in the list or won't repair then it's probably fooked and so are you. If you can Access it on another computer but still can't get it to boot then at least you can get your files to copy to a new drive.

Access your BIOS using F2 on boot up and then find the BOOT header.
The HDD should be the first item in the boot up list.
If it is not, use the up/down key to highlight it and then press + or - until it becomes the first drive in the list.
Save the changes in BIOS (Usually F10), exit and reboot.

Back
Top Bottom