Thread: DIY tool board - smart ideas?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

DIY tool board - smart ideas?

Hi all -

I am keen to attach a tool board to the wall above the bench in my garage.

The commercially available ones seem pretty good but at £50+ (then paying for hooks as well) I think I should be able to save some cash and possibly end up with a better solution by doing something DIY.

I don't have anything unusual to store, just the usual spanners, drivers etc - and it doesn't need to be flexible, once I've decided where everything should go I'm not planning to alter it.

So... before I build something functional but heinous looking with 60 wood screws sticking out, please does anyone have any examples of clever designs they've built?

Cheers,

The Other Paul G
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Buy a peg board made from hardboard (comes with holes spaced 50mm apart I think). Screw it on to some 50mm square battens to make a frame and fix that to your wall. You can buy bags of S hooks, cheaply, from Ikea to use to hold your tools up. I made three large ones in my woodwork cabin but I built a second 50mm frame and fitted that to my wall first. To this I screwed on hinges so the peg board could be pivoted open which gave me access to the inside for more storage. I used magnetic tool holders on the inside. They work great and hold loads of tools.
    "I must be traveling on now 'cause there's too many places I've got to see.

I like that idea - thanks!

When I go home on Friday I'll take some pics. and load them for you to see.

If the tools are metal you could use magnetic tape on the board to hold the likes of spanners and such

Caution : May stop suddenly

Quote Originally Posted by The Other PaulG View Post
    I like that idea - thanks!
    Here's some pics for you; closed and open:
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Given the number of tools you have, I can see why you need such a good storage solution.

Thanks, that's world class tool boarding!

Cheers,

PG

Quote Originally Posted by Khulu View Post
    Wow, that's phenomenal! I'll be doing something similar in my basement when the builders finally finish my house ... But I'l have to mount it away form the wall, which suffers from penetrating damp - it's in the basement of a */- 300 year old stone house - so that it can get some air circulation.

Cheers

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by The Other PaulG View Post
    Given the number of tools you have, I can see why you need such a good storage solution.

Thanks, that's world class tool boarding!

Cheers,

PG
    This only in my woodwork cabin and doesn't include the various tools in my metal workshop area or any bike tool chests.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_100 View Post
    Wow, that's phenomenal! I'll be doing something similar in my basement when the builders finally finish my house ... But I'l have to mount it away form the wall, which suffers from penetrating damp - it's in the basement of a */- 300 year old stone house - so that it can get some air circulation.

Cheers

Simon
    Simon,

To mount them off your damp wall why not think about using Unistrut, or equivalent. It's usually 41mm square and comes in long lengths. Electricians use it industrially to mount cable tray, junction boxes, etc. on to it. If you had these fixed to your wall you could then secure wooden battens to them and then do whatever you plan.

Simon,

To mount them off your damp wall why not think about using Unistrut, or equivalent. It's usually 41mm square and comes in long lengths. Electricians use it industrially to mount cable tray, junction boxes, etc. on to it. If you had these fixed to your wall you could then secure wooden battens to them and then do whatever you plan.
    Cheers, I'll try to source that or something similar. I was thinking of making spacers out of length's of studding or reinforcing bars for concrete, both of which I have lying around, but I'm keen to make the job appear as 'professional' as I can ...

Ha ha, we will be having a sort of utility room where all of the services, including pipework from the solar panels on the roof - heath exchangers not photovoltaic - run through as well as the water, electricity, etc. plus the ventilation shafts from the kitchen and bathroom. We'll be using 100% 'industrial' for this so may have a few bits and bobs form that to spare ...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_100 View Post
    Cheers, I'll try to source that or something similar. I was thinking of making spacers out of length's of studding or reinforcing bars for concrete, both of which I have lying around, but I'm keen to make the job appear as 'professional' as I can ...

Ha ha, we will be having a sort of utility room where all of the services, including pipework from the solar panels on the roof - heath exchangers not photovoltaic - run through as well as the water, electricity, etc. plus the ventilation shafts from the kitchen and bathroom. We'll be using 100% 'industrial' for this so may have a few bits and bobs form that to spare ...

Simon
    With Unistrut, or equivalent, you can secure fixing brackets at any position so full flexibility of mounting exists.
    If you can wait until September 2019 I'll come over and fix it all for you as I intend touring the Asturias and Picos.

With Unistrut, or equivalent, you can secure fixing brackets at any position so full flexibility of mounting exists.
    If you can wait until September 2019 I'll come over and fix it all for you as I intend touring the Asturias and Picos.
    Ha ha, thanks for this but I'm way east in the Pyrenees near Andorra! In any event there are plenty of similar options, including recycling stuff I have lying around and as of September I'm retired I'm looking for things to potter around with!

Simon

Find an industrial electrician he might have a load of uni strut offcuts
    Edited because I cannot type

A good way is to outline the tools, I can’t find a decent picture, but you’ll get the idea...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Forget all these Healthy Foods I need all the preservatives I can get!!!

Have a look on instructables.

If I had a bit more room in my garage I would like this mobile version.
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Bui...brag-about-it/