'Friend' needs help with torrent files

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Howdy,

My friend is downloading West world series one and two. He is not new to torrents or indeed, movie files. Obviously, he likes the bigger files for the better quality video. He normally sticks them on a usb key and puts the key directly into his smart (7 year old samsung LED) TV. He is having a problem with some of the files and he is downloading so many copies, his internet usage is rather high:D

Trouble is, only some of them are working. They all work in VLC on the laptop but he does not want to hook up the laptop to the tv because it is faff.

Thing is, on his PC (windows 10), the ones that will play on his TV don't have a vlc icon but a movie icon. Makes it easy to tell what will work.

My friend would like to know if there is anything he can do to make the files that don't work on his tv work? Does he need to change a suffix or something on the file?

Any help appreciated because I, cough, he has the series' but the files are a mixture of qualities and he likes his video to be like his pork crackling. Crisp:aidan

I read the title without my glasses on .... and thought your friend needed help with a torrent of flies :D

Carry on ....

I'll take a look at that thanks. Sorry, I'll tell my mate to look at that. No they don't have it.

How do you check what type of files they are? On a Mac it’s easy!

My friend does not get this problem as he is a sensible chap and uses a Chromecast device on his thick as shit Samsung TV. The Videostream app in Google Chrome makes it all pretty easy. None of this getting up off the sofa to plug in a USB stick, which would seem something of a bigger faff.

Ah yes but I bet your friend has a new chrome cast which does great quality video!!! Gave me an idea though, XBOX! Wonder if that’ll do it.

Probably a codec issue, or Samsung blocking copyright stuff, I would be very careful with torrents and movies nowadays, you can get a letter in the post and a hefty fine, it happens here in Germany in a flash, unless you are hiding behind a VPN

The TV blocking copyrighted material is not the issue. It's the file itself. You are probably right about the codec. Anyway, the hi quality copy is playing nicely on the Xbox one using vlc player which is great. VPN's slow everything down and cost money. I very rarly download a torrent. i just use it for stuff we have missed on the tv when the series record messes up or when something is not available with our package, like westworld. Doubt I'll attract attention. Beside which, I live in Ireland, not in Germany. Things are a little more relaxed over here. I expect they are the same in the Uk.

Anyway, I finished sitting through the end of series one of west world for the third time last night. I had seen it twice before and was dying to see series two but she had not seen it, so, love is etc.

Might pick one up. to have it. The Xbox is working great for my needs. Glad I’ve found a use for it. Never play games!!

I suspect, as had been said, it's a codec issue. Also, don't let your friend forget that video files are containers, and the contents or the container may be incompatible with your friend's TV. You can always convert using Handbrake although this can take a very long time depending on your output choices and procesing power.

Handbrake. God, there is a blast from the past. Might be worth the hassle if I want to give them to the father in law. Ta.

Back
Top Bottom