Stelvio

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarry

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, just sorting the last part of our trip from Levico Terme to the Stelvio and Umbrail then on to Davos and both Google maps and michelin give me 2 routes, 1 slightly longer route via Bormio on the sp29 sp42 and a shorter route via Prata Allo on the ss38 and was wondering which, or if there is a preferred route over the stelvio?

Thanks Tarry

You probably want to climb the Stelvio from the SS38 side as that’s the “famous” side of the climb.

That said, the Bormio side of the climb is (in my experience) a nicer road to ride on. And quieter.

If you didn’t know, the umbrail and the Stelvio passes meet each other - a short way (on the Bormio side) from the actual summit of the Stelvio Pass.

My preference would be to ride the Gavia pass into Bormio, up he Stelvio to the very top from the Bormio side to get the pictures you want and then backtrack about a mile to where the Stelvio and umbrail meet and then turn right to descend the umbrail towards zernez and then the fluellapass into Davos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You probably want to climb the Stelvio from the SS38 side as that’s the “famous” side of the climb.

That said, the Bormio side of the climb is (in my experience) a nicer road to ride on. And quieter.

If you didn’t know, the umbrail and the Stelvio passes meet each other - a short way (on the Bormio side) from the actual summit of the Stelvio Pass.

My preference would be to ride the Gavia pass into Bormio, up he Stelvio to the very top from the Bormio side to get the pictures you want and then backtrack about a mile to where the Stelvio and umbrail meet and then turn right to descend the umbrail towards zernez and then the fluellapass into Davos

I have done all options and I agree with your preference. Each to their own though.

Last edited:
I done all options and I agree with your preference. Each to their own though.

You are right about preference of course.

I rode the route I described a couple of weeks ago. It’s a good combination of roads.

Whichever way you decide to go, take no notice of the “I dun the Stevio it were shite” mob. Some of ‘em don’t like anything.

Whichever way you decide to go, take no notice of the “I dun the Stevio it were shite” mob. Some of ‘em don’t like anything.

The Stelvio isn't my favourite pass; I can think of quite a few I'd rather do again before it.
Some people love it; some people don't but you really can't pass an opinion until you've done it yourself.
Go for it.

Well to be fair to them its is pretty over hyped. It's bucket list job and everybody has to do it, but once you have .... go and enjoy Passo di Giau the next day !!

Well to be fair to them its is pretty over hyped. It's bucket list job and everybody has to do it, but once you have .... go and enjoy Passo di Giau the next day !!

We're in danger of creating a top 10 of passes, by country, here I fear.

It’s iconic.

Of course there are ‘better passes’ just as there are ‘better roads’, ‘better hotels’, ‘better gloves’ and even ‘better motorbikes’, but history and geography alone have made the Stelvio what it is. Go ride it and make your own mind up. Enjoy your holiday.

Just what i wanted to hear, thanks for that and everyone else for there thoughts:beerjug:

Done the passo di Giau last year, enjoyed it:thumby:

It’s iconic.

Of course there are ‘better passes’ just as there are ‘better roads’, ‘better hotels’, ‘better gloves’ and even ‘better motorbikes’, but history and geography alone have made the Stelvio what it is. Go ride it and make your own mind up. Enjoy your holiday.

Yup its all opinions, but one we have never been over and perfect for our stay in Davos.

Looking at the hotel restaurants menu 😨😨 I think sir you are correct! !

Is the Op approaching from the South and Heading North to Davos?

In which case I would take the Gavia which then meets up at the bottom of the West ramp of the Stelvio (the smoother one) and ride up that - go past the Umbrail turn to get to the summit, eat Wurst, Get Sticker / T-Shirt to prove I have managed to ride a motorised vehicle up this road, take pics of the horrible East ramp, turn around, ride down the Umbrail….

….unless the OP feels a need to ride the entire pass, for me the best bit is the views from the top and seeing it for yourself - and the Umbrail is a nicer way back down.

I am fairly certain most folk would find the Gavia the more enjoyable pass out of the three mentioned.

steve,dont do it on a Saturday.there a couple of weeks ago and full of cyclists,tractors.

grab some Swiss francs before you go, they are useful, as some cards fail in their machines, even Swiss cards, happened this week-end, my mate does not know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom