Route to Zurich through France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking too much.

Looking on a computer too much.

Grab a coffee, browse a map, make some notes.

Get on bike, go for a ride.

In one
Turn ignition on and then ride
Feel sleepy
Rock up to a hotel and ask for a room
Gps in the 1970's
ea4e1a2f732d331e351f1220a56df175.jpg

As Tarka says, you are trying too hard.

Post #5 shows that it’s definitely only 500 miles A to B * Calais to Zurich and the same back. Thereafter it’s only simple sums and a bit of imagination. Post #2 shows how Kurviger (and other similar tools) will show you the way.

* As a basic guide, Shrewsbury to Glasgow direct is a little under 300. You'd know how to do that, I’d guess? Three hundred miles (give or take) is no different because you cross the Channel, trust me. You don’t suddenly change and the distance doesn’t suddenly alter. Just do what you’d do in the UK, you’ll be fine. I promise.

That has helped me hugely getting my head around distances... As has the Kurnvnger tool that I had never heard of. Many thanks.

Park your bike, in gear, with the sidestand to the front of the train. They always want you to park the other way but I've help prevent a couple of bikes falling over because the train can brake harder than it can accelerate. Ignore their direction and explain to them why.

If it did fall over, and you haven't parked as instructed, I very much doubt you'd get any joy* out of Eurotunnel in any claim for damage.

That said, in 20-odd years of operation and for the last 12 being sort of professionally involved with Eurotunnel (with many hundreds of crossing myself and colleagues with thousands), I've never heard of bikes falling over. A couple of apocryphal incidents were bikers have dropped their bikes as they parked or departed, but nothing other than that in the course of the crossing. That's not to say it hasn't happened, of course.

*Judging by the events of the last few days, Eurotunnel are not really in the "joy" business!

If it did fall over, and you haven't parked as instructed, I very much doubt you'd get any joy* out of Eurotunnel in any claim for damage.

That said, in 20-odd years of operation and for the last 12 being sort of professionally involved with Eurotunnel (with many hundreds of crossing myself and colleagues with thousands), I've never heard of bikes falling over. A couple of apocryphal incidents were bikers have dropped their bikes as they parked or departed, but nothing other than that in the course of the crossing. That's not to say it hasn't happened, of course.

*Judging by the events of the last few days, Eurotunnel are not really in the "joy" business!

I haven't seen any fall over either but I have helped prevent a couple.
Prevention is better than cure so I'll continue to park mine with the prop stand to the front of the train.

Three hundred miles (give or take) is no different because you cross the Channel, trust me. You don’t suddenly change and the distance doesn’t suddenly alter. Just do what you’d do in the UK, you’ll be fine. I promise.

Hold your horses there, old love. Three hundred miles becomes around five hundred kilometres in France. FIVE HUNDRED! That's halfway to a thousand.

Head south to Portsmouth, take one of the 11pm ferries to Le HARVE, sleep on the ferry, seat or cabin, set off south at 8.00 french time and take a route skirting Paris to the North.

Avoids M6, M25 and Dover, great route via the borders south to Portsmouth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Head south to Portsmouth, take one of the 11pm ferries to Le HARVE, sleep on the ferry, seat or cabin, set off south at 8.00 french time and take a route skirting Paris to the North.

Avoids M6, M25 and Dover, great route via the borders south to Portsmouth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did it really take you a year and half to type that on your iPad using Tapatalk?

Maybe 3 days out taking in Ardennes (Stay in Bouillon) Black Forest (Stay in Triberg) and then 2 back (Stay in Troyes) - or t'other way around.

Worht noting that;

1. Switzerland is not in the Alps
2. The Alps are not in Switzerland
3. Parts of Switzerland are in the Alps
4. Parts of the Alps are in Switzerland.
5. Zurich is not in the Alps ;-)

The last point is probably most important to note, so if going to Zurich to ride the Alps is the OP's plan then it is very much flawed, I have assumed he is going there for some other purpose rather than assume he has misunderstood the geographical technicalities laid out in 1-5.

You could put together an OK route in and out at 2 days each if your happy for the 1st / last day to be predominantly motorway, my 5 day suggestion has the option of nice roads on all but the last day (Troyes - Calais) Calais to Bouillon allows you to start heading cross country after a couple of hours of Motorway to @ Mons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom