Insurance on new GSA

gsman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mate just bought new GSA Rally.best insurance quote to date MCA £450, 56 years old 12 years NCB what’s going on?

That happened with me. Then just googled insurance comparison for adventure bikes. Can’t rem the site now but where Hastings were trying it on for £500 through the usual suspects the quote was now(magically) £150.

No surprise, Insurance has gone potty this year.

On the BBC this morning they were saying that motor insurance, probably car, has actually fallen by 10% since April. I know from experience that if a bike value exceeds an insurers set value they load premium or refuse it!

Bikes getting too bloody expensive , greed taking over for profit.
Guy at dealers couldn’t get insurance without a tracker fitted to new GSA.
Thefts in London don’t help , fuelled by the ineffectiveness of keyless in terms of theft prevention.
GS and GSA variable Valve 150BHP circa 20 K plus ?
Going to be even more difficult and expensive to insure.

The GS/ GSA is the most stolen bike, hence the high premiums. When I insured my Rallye & KTM 1290 on the same policy, the Rallye was the higher risk bike, and cost around 70% of the premium. Until I sold it 3 months in to the policy, and then it was miraculously the lower risk bike, when they had to issue a refund for the premium.:blast

Mate just bought new GSA Rally.best insurance quote to date MCA £450, 56 years old 12 years NCB what’s going on?

I had a 2015 GSA LC and my premium for the year was £171 fully comp with Hastings, protected no claims bonus (20 odd years), £250 excess etc. I then bought a GSA Triple Black and oh my!! Cheapest I could manage, even if they would quote, was £468 via BMW ironically. Hastings who I was with wouldn't entertain it (you can imagine my disgust with them).
In addition my accessories are not covered and I have an excess of £600!!
When I enquired further as to why I was told it was for the following reasons....
1. It was a new bike and the registration number was unknown to their systems (WTF?).
2. The high value of the bike itself.
3. Although retired I have a part time driving job for about 8 days a month.
4. The value of the accessories (albeit with the Policy I have they're not covered).
For info.... I'm 58, married, house owner, low risk post code, bike garaged at night etc.... so the premium for me is way over the top I feel. Lets see what the renewal brings next year!

Liverpool Victoria - around £250, brand new gsa rallye as of last sept. their policy also included European travel. I even rang to let them know I put an akro silencer on and they took a sensible view and no extra charge. they are a very good company as I use them for other policies as well. im early 50s and clean licence, no recent motor claims, touch wood

I've just bought my R1200 GS Adventure and the insurance has rocketed, I previously had a 15 plate R1200 RT LC and paid £254.00 a year and that was a month ago I've just bought a 15 plate R1200 GSA LC and they want another £220.00 a year? Bloody daylight robbery me thinks, it's the same engine ECT. I will definitely be looking around next year for sure.

I had a 2015 GSA LC and my premium for the year was £171 fully comp with Hastings, protected no claims bonus (20 odd years), £250 excess etc. I then bought a GSA Triple Black and oh my!! Cheapest I could manage, even if they would quote, was £468 via BMW ironically. Hastings who I was with wouldn't entertain it (you can imagine my disgust with them).

Hastings Insurance Services Ltd is a UK insurance broker

None of the underwriters they deal with - like your risk, is all

I'm nearly 50, have 8 years NCB, live in the countryside, don't commute and have a clean license.
1st May this year insured my 2014 LC for £180 via Carole Nash which I was very happy with as this was a renewal so no need to move broker.
I swapped it for a Rally TE two weeks ago and AXA would no longer insure it due to it's value had no choice except to cancel the policy.
Eventually they gave me a new policy through Hastings for £450.....A 250% increase :eek:

Mine went up to just shy of £500, with double that as excess.

Full no claims too - never had a claim against me.

As has already been said, the GS/GSA suffers from being both very popular (for bikers and thieving scrotes alike) and a lot of money new. How much is a new GSA with all the accessories? £19K? Should you expect to pay the same level of cover for a c. £9K mid-range bike? It’s not just about risk, but about how much the insurer will have to cough up when your awesome steed is written off or nicked.

I'm still paying around £200 for my now four year old GS and that's good value compared to the Vespa GTS300 which I was going to buy as a toy until I discovered the insurance was £400 to insure it my itself or nearly £1000 for a multi-bike policy :eek: GTS's are obviously even more popular with thieves

Mine went up to just shy of £500, with double that as excess.

Full no claims too - never had a claim against me.

Yes but look how many bikes are stolen in London. If you want lower insurance premiums move out to Dorset.

More likey to get your sheep rustled than your bike stolen!

Derek

Back
Top Bottom