GS or Crosstourer

The gear noises are normal, I'm on my 3rd CT and they have all been the same, I think you have said it yourself Big Jets, its different to your 1150 and you need to get used to it, or get rid. What you cannot deny is reliability and potentential longevity ,

Below is recent picture of of CT KM in Belgium.

Attachments

• km teller klein.jpg_thumb.png
    km teller klein.jpg_thumb.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 519
Maybe not quite what you had in mind but I took a Kawasaki z1000sx for a ride a while ago and was very impressed

For out and out touring it probably won't be as good as your list but has a decent luggage set up and goes like stink

The negatives for me were the chain and no cruise control. It's a lot of bike for the money though, I'm seriously thinking about buying one next year

I tried one last year and it didn't suit me at all, probably because I'd got used to the comfort of the GS. I found the throttle jerky at low speeds, the wind protection poor, riding position uncomfortable after 45 minutes as my hands were tingling by then and the suspension hard on B roads though TBH that would probably be the same on any other non ADV bike. As you say excellent VFM though but I preferred the R1200RS which doesn't help the OP. Maybe either the Versys 1000 or a Tracer GT would be worth a test ride? If he wants an ADV bike with a shaft then the Tiger 1200 is the only other option but it's about the same price now and still heavy compared to the gs

I’m on my second CT. First was a manual now on a DCT. Absolutely love it, yes, it’s not got all the electronic wizardry of a GS but I don’t need it and certainly don’t want the bill when any of it fails.
As to value for money regards second hand values I don’t think they can be beaten, especially for that Honda build quality.
For a fully kitted, low mileage Highlander version your looking at saving at least £2.5k against a similar low mileage GS - nuf said.

After reading many positive reviews of the Kawasaki Versys 1000, I took one out for a spin yesterday. Nice smooth engine but withing 5 minutes, I knew it wasn't for me. The footpegs were exactly where my calves were when I went to put my feet down and I could not get my size 9 boots under the gear lever easily so mostly caught it with the side of the boot to change gear.

Back brake was ineffective on this particular bike and the gear indicator went blank every time the clutch was pulled in. Wind blast for me was also bad.

I so wanted to like this bike so was a bit disappointed when I didn't. Getting back on the GS was like putting on those comfy shoes.

Just a shame that my engine rattles and feels course in comparison. I think I'm going to try the S1000XR next.

Its going to Spain in two weeks and I will enjoy nevertheless ,miss my old tractor got a heavy heart with no BMW,s in the garage ,think the Honda was beat before it started but it is growing on me ,Cheers Gadget

Has anyone tried the Yamaha offering Tracer GT or Tenere?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Depending on your usage, and whether solo or two-up, I think you will struggle to better the GS.

I had a NC750 X DCT, so am a DCT fan, so when I wanted something more powerful I had a test ride on the CrossTourer DCT, but found it a nightmare in traffic with the weight and lots of backlash in the transmission making for jerky progress in stop start traffic. Out on the open road it was much nicer, but I still felt it was too heavy. Eventually bought a Versys 1000 instead. I liked that very much apart from the crappy add on gear indicator. Very torquey engine for an inline four with lots of mid-range grunt, and handled nicely too for solo riding. At this point my wife started to ride pillion, which showed up the limitations of the suspension, and also the weight distribution, with I suspect too much of the pillion weight behind the rear axle leading to a scarily light front end at low speeds. I couldn't totally fix this even with a Nitron rear shock to cure the excessive two-up sag. Did a two-up tour of Greece despite the problems, but then changed it for a Triumph Trophy. Never got on with the Trophy, and ended up with the GS which is nearly as much fun solo as the Versys, and is a better two up touring machine than the Versys and surprisingly also better than the Trophy. We both find the GS more comfortable and it has less turbulent airflow for the pillion.

Been offered a good deal on a Honda Crosstourer, had a short ride on one a couple of years ago and liked it. Has anyone made on heat made the same change and what are your thoughts?

No off-road riding for me so comparison in that area aren’t a concern, can anyone convince me why I shouldn’t?..:D

I’ve done this decision. I ended up loathing the Crosstourer and disposed of it after 1500 miles.

Apart from the tasty engine there’s very little to like. Other posts have covered the main shortcomings of the Crosstourer but I would again caution you on the following:

Critical throttle
Heavy fuel consumption
Awful standard suspension
Poor air management
Vibey engine
Sloppy driveshaft
Highish COG
Depreciation

And on mine the handlebar wobble was outrageous. Changed tyres to PR4’s which made no difference.

I wouldn’t buy a CT ever again in its current guise.

Folks, thanks for all your views and experiences. Went out yesterday through the Lakes on the GS, Langdale, Hardknott, Wrynose and back through the Lythe Valley. I have decided that I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to even test ride the Crosstourer, the GS is just too good to change it for anything else other than another GS. Next year is the big 50 for me, maybe if I drop enough hints I will end up with a new GS.:D

Back
Top Bottom