GS or Crosstourer

Gregd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Been offered a good deal on a Honda Crosstourer, had a short ride on one a couple of years ago and liked it. Has anyone made on heat made the same change and what are your thoughts?

No off-road riding for me so comparison in that area aren’t a concern, can anyone convince me why I shouldn’t?..:D

The Crosstourer has a good engine but it is let down by poor suspension and wooden brakes. Doesn't have the electronics even close to the GS if you care about that sort of thing

As above

The suspension on the GS is light years ahead of the Crosstourer, the combination of ESA and the Telelever is fantastic

Less transmission lash in the GS shaft too

Good engine in the CT and the DCT box is excellent, better than the quickshifter on the BMW

Both boxes are clunky in the lower gears

CT/GS ?

Tried XT for 6months 4 years ago as I wanted something different to the GS`s I`d had. I found the engine good and handling not too bad . The gearing in 1/2 I thought a bit high which made 2 up balance not as good as the GS . One of the few bikes I could not bond with . Mine was manual . Friend had DCT and he changed back to a GS like me.

Appreciate. this is a GS site, I have owned both and prefer my Crosstourer DCT, just returned from a trip France/Spain, in company of a mixture of bikes, including a new GS Rally and it was the CT that set the pace! Fuel consumption is around 47mpg, which I dont think is too shabby, considering the engine its powering. I must confess that I have had the suspension sorted though, which has obviously made a difference.

Appreciate. this is a GS site, I have owned both and prefer my Crosstourer DCT, just returned from a trip France/Spain, in company of a mixture of bikes, including a new GS Rally and it was the CT that set the pace! Fuel consumption is around 47mpg, which I dont think is too shabby, considering the engine its powering. I must confess that I have had the suspension sorted though, which has obviously made a difference.

What upgrades did you make to the suspension?

Have you thought about the Veefour cruise control for it?

I tried the Crossdresser out a few times and despite the creamy V4, I didn’t like the bike. Gearing felt very odd, way too tall at th bottom making driving in traffic a pain (1st gear everywhere), it just touched 49mpg driving like a nun doing 45mph in 6th, rear of the time it averaged about 40mpg, surprisingly didn’t feel heavy getting it off the side stand but the chassis feels ponderous and slow speed manoeuvres show up the weight. Suspension felt very cheap. DCT is something I just cannot get on with, having had it with both a VFR1200 and a much newer NC750. Getting back on the GS it feels much more fun, more agile and more alive. Build quality is meant to be better but the used ones I tried looked pretty tatty and there was nothing to suggest they hadn’t been looked after

I tried one for a weekend and found the seat was uncomfortable after an hour

That's interesting, I'm also looking to change from the GS love the bike have done since my first GS an 1150 14 years ago currently on an LC but I have had enough of the dealer so looking at alternatives, I accept that whatever I get will be a step down from the GS, has anyone found something close, I was thinking Crosstourer, Africa twin or Super Tenere.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

That's interesting, I'm also looking to change from the GS love the bike have done since my first GS an 1150 14 years ago currently on an LC but I have had enough of the dealer so looking at alternatives, I accept that whatever I get will be a step down from the GS, has anyone found something close, I was thinking Crosstourer, Africa twin or Super Tenere.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Maybe not quite what you had in mind but I took a Kawasaki z1000sx for a ride a while ago and was very impressed

For out and out touring it probably won't be as good as your list but has a decent luggage set up and goes like stink

The negatives for me were the chain and no cruise control. It's a lot of bike for the money though, I'm seriously thinking about buying one next year

Bought a crossdresser 2 weeks ago Ive put 1000 miles on it and to be quite frank wish I hadn't traded my 1150 gs for it ,handling is taking a fair bit to get used to ,engine power lovely engine braking not to good to me that's where a boxer comes into its own,finding needs to be down the box (goin a bit quicker now so top gear cornering has caught me out a few times not the bikes fault but mine) , gear lash noises in low gears are quite off putting but Im assured by Honda they all do that sir ,put my zega box on back as the Honda topcase is an abomination. Seat and comfort par with my Gs .175 miles and its running on reserve.Apart from that I like the colour.:augie:nenau

Don’t really know if it’s a worthwhile comparison but my daughter’s ( wealthy) not like me partners have between them an 2018 Africa twin, 2017 gsa ( all bells and whistles) 2016 K 1600 and the HP2 ( totally mad bike) ridden them all but I must say I liked the AF twin the best, easy to ride I’m seventy two so it’s lighter and I took it up a green lane on the farm here (felt planted). I’ve also had a short ride on a newish vstrom 1000, yes nothing like my older gsa but must say I liked it a lot. But there again my thought processes go back to the two wheeled bikes I grew up / old on which I suppose are unfair comparisons.

Back
Top Bottom